Wikiposts

establishing my own business in OZ

Old Aug 12th 2002, 11:30 pm
Tomas

Default establishing my own business in OZ

Dear group,

I intend to arrive to Australia in February 2003, with plans to establish my own
business in Brisbane or the Gold Coast. I'm a lawyer from Eastern Europe and I do not
have illusions of finding professional job at age of 36. I have a possibility to
bring with me funds around 500,000 A$, what kind of business you think I can buy or
establish with such sum?

Tomas

Old Aug 13th 2002, 6:31 am
Robert Edwards

Default Re: establishing my own business in OZ

Hi Tomas, I live on the Gold Coast and if you have either been here or done your
research you will be aware that the Gold Coast is a major tourist destination, larger
theme parks (movie world, sea world, dream world etc) arguably the best beaches you
will see in a long while ...so I guess you need to ask yourself what do you want to
be involved in, what do you have and aptitude for, skills, for etc......I don't think
you will have trouble locating a business with $500K AUD but what do you want to do
is the important thing.......in Brisbane (70 kms away) there is a different scope
altogether)

Rob Edwards

"tomas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > Dear group,
    > I intend to arrive to Australia in February 2003, with plans to establish my own
    > business in Brisbane or the Gold Coast. I'm a lawyer from Eastern Europe and I do
    > not have illusions of finding professional job at age of 36. I have a possibility
    > to bring with me funds around 500,000 A$, what kind of business you think I can buy
    > or establish with such sum?
    > Tomas

Old Aug 13th 2002, 7:59 am
Tomas

Dear Rob,

My motives to immigrate are not for making money, my life is ok with what I have in
my country. Maybe it's some kind of romanticism, silly as it may seem, or a wish for
a second "life cycle", or an early mid-life scepticism...

Anyway, I thought of a business that will serve the local community, not especially
tourists. When I visited Brisbane and the Gold Coast three years ago I was
badly-astonished (hope it's the right expression...) with the minimal inventory and
the comparatively high prices at shoes stores - that made me think that importing
shoes from Europe could make sense in enriching the local variety, at low prices.
This is one possibility. The other, I know it's silly and romantic and stupid, but I
thought of buying a motel, running it with my wife, expanding it to a motel-chain if
I'm successful.

Does it make any sense - to you or to anyone in this group?

Hi Tomas, I live on the Gold Coast and if you have either been here or done your
research you will be aware that the Gold Coast is a major tourist destination, larger
theme parks (movie world, sea world, dream world etc) arguably the best beaches you
will see in a long while ...so I guess you need to ask yourself what do you want to
be involved in, what do you have and aptitude for, skills, for etc......I don't think
you will have trouble locating a business with $500K AUD but what do you want to do
is the important thing.......in Brisbane (70 kms away) there is a different scope
altogether)

Rob Edwards

Old Aug 13th 2002, 8:18 am
Robert Edwards

I don't know anything about the footwear business personally but I do know that the
Gold Coast has the greatest number of major shopping centres of any area in the
country (per capita that is) and more are coming and with my background I have often
looked at "retail" businesses and wonder how some of them survive here with the
relative high rents and the high competition........can you really import European
shoes and compete with the masses of major shoe stores here already? I am not saying
the quality is not better as it most likely is better than a lot of what we have but
will you be able to achieve a market is the main thing. I think there may be more
secure ways of achieving a relative standard of living......only my opinion ......but
we get a lot of tourists here and you need to be well situated to take advantage of
that section of the market, well situated normally means higher rents and much
greater competition. To me if you have the money then lifestyle is a major factor in
making business decisions about your future.

Rob

"tomas" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m
    > Dear Rob,
    > My motives to immigrate are not for making money, my life is ok with what I have in
    > my country. Maybe it's some kind of romanticism, silly as it may seem, or a wish
    > for a second "life cycle", or an early mid-life scepticism...