Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Entry to Australia with an expired passport

Entry to Australia with an expired passport

Old Jun 21st 2019, 5:01 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entry to Australia with an expired passport

Originally Posted by loulou99

I managed to get an outreach appointment in Leeds which I didn’t realise even existed! £479 later.... 3 passport renewal applications lodged. Just awaiting delivery. I was planning to get them renewed while in Perth so would have had a valid passport, or I assumed I could have left on my British passport.
Once you have citizenship you have to leave and arrive into Australia on an Australian passport (expired or not!). You can't use a British passport for this.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 11:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
Once you have citizenship you have to leave and arrive into Australia on an Australian passport (expired or not!). You can't use a British passport for this.
Not quite. You can leave Australia on whatever passport you like. However you have to arrive back into Australia on the Australian one.

Example: I'm dual Canadian/Australian, so if I'm flying to Canada I have to leave Australia on my Canadian passport. Airlines won't let me board without a Canadian ETA, and as a citizen I'm not able to get one, so therefore I cannot use the Australian one to leave the country.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 12:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not quite. You can leave Australia on whatever passport you like. However you have to arrive back into Australia on the Australian one.

Example: I'm dual Canadian/Australian, so if I'm flying to Canada I have to leave Australia on my Canadian passport. Airlines won't let me board without a Canadian ETA, and as a citizen I'm not able to get one, so therefore I cannot use the Australian one to leave the country.
You can check in using your Canadian passport so the airline lets you board but you should still use your Australian passport when you pass through border control unless you wish to flagged up as an illegal migrant as you have no entry record and no visa.

On a broader point that API cannot assign more than one passport to an individual is going to be causing more and more as the use of electronic travel authorities and automatic passport gate increases. To whit: a cohort of non-EU nations can now use the ePassport gates when arriving in the UK but with no stamp in their passport there’s no evidence of when they arrived. This is going to be a particular problem for those with visas of any kind as there’s no physical evidence they ever arrived on that visa.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 2:42 am
DML
Forum Regular

DML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond reputeDML has a reputation beyond repute

"All Australians, including dual nationals, should leave and enter Australia on their Australian passport. If you have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia"

Source: https://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/P...nationals.aspx
Old Jun 24th 2019, 2:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DML
"All Australians, including dual nationals, should leave and enter Australia on their Australian passport. If you have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia"

Source: https://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/P...nationals.aspx
When I finally leave this godforsaken place I can promise you it'll be done waving my British passport. After all, if you're going for good what can they do but frown and glare at you, and they usually do that anyway.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When I finally leave this godforsaken place I can promise you it'll be done waving my British passport. After all, if you're going for good what can they do but frown and glare at you, and they usually do that anyway.
Tried that once and they wouldn't let me do it! I was harangued by a new Australian harridan with borderline English and made to feel about 2 inches tall - well, I would have if she had had her way.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 12:22 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

That'll be because you don't go the self service route
Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I do whenever I can. I hate humans these days, must be my age, so the less I have to deal with them the better
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
You can't do that if you leave on a foreign passport without a visa, it gets rejected and you have to talk to a real person - or, usually, the real person harangues you because you are technically visa-less in the country.
Old Jun 30th 2019, 4:57 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I do whenever I can. I hate humans these days, must be my age, so the less I have to deal with them the better
I'm increasingly feeling like that too, and yes I'm sure it's an age thing.

Originally Posted by quoll
You can't do that if you leave on a foreign passport without a visa, it gets rejected and you have to talk to a real person - or, usually, the real person harangues you because you are technically visa-less in the country.
I agree.

Reminds me of a couple of years ago my family and I checked in at Singapore, they for flights back to Australia and I was going elsewhere. They checked in using their British passports which were registered for their PR visas in Australia, no problems but for some reason when they landed in Sydney my wife handed immigration my sons' SA passports which weren't registered. Apparently the immigration officers almost had multiple hernias - until my wife said "Oopsie, wrong passports" and handed the registered ones over. She said they seemed quite upset.