Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Entering Australia as a Tourist and then finding a job?

Entering Australia as a Tourist and then finding a job?

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Ameen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Entering Australia as a Tourist and then finding a job?

Hi There,

I am considering a move to Australia to work in my field (Real Estate) although I have always been a believer of applying in-country for any prospective jobs.

Is it possible for me to enter Oz as a tourist and then transfer to a Temporary or Permanent Residence visa if a job offer comes my way?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 11:46 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering Australia as a Tourist and then finding a job?

Originally Posted by Ameen
Hi There,

I am considering a move to Australia to work in my field (Real Estate) although I have always been a believer of applying in-country for any prospective jobs.

Is it possible for me to enter Oz as a tourist and then transfer to a Temporary or Permanent Residence visa if a job offer comes my way?

Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.
Entering Australia on a tourist visa with the intent of looking for work is a breach of the visa conditions. DIAC would be well within their rights to stop you entering at the airport, send you back & possibly ban you for obtaining your visa fraudulently.

If you want to move to Australia, you should see if your occupation is on the skilled occupation list (SOL) & consider general skilled migration.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Ameen is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm aware of your comments but my question is, is it possible to actually do it.

Come in on a tourist visa, find a job, transfer from Tourist to Work visa without any hassle?
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 4:42 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm aware of your comments but my question is, is it possible to actually do it.

Come in on a tourist visa, find a job, transfer from Tourist to Work visa without any hassle?
I'm not going to give you advice on breaking visa conditions, especially before you've even made it to Australia. BE is not that kind of site.

You should be aware though, that DIAC staff have been known to read this forum before now, so you should be careful of what you post on here.

Since you're essentially asking for advice on breaking the rules to gain a visa, I'm going to close this thread. If you genuinely want to move to Australia, take the advice in my previous post. Check to see if you're eligible for general skilled migration - like most people have to do.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 1:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You can't transfer as such. You must meet the requirements for the visa you need for the job. Some visas are offshore only so you cannot stay here while they are processed. In some cases you can stay and get a bridging visa while the processing is done.
BUT you must enter originally with the intention of being a tourist, NOT with the in tention of looking for work, and if you find a job you MUST check out whether you are eligible for a visa which will allow you to do that job BEFORE you accept it, and have a plan in place of how and where to get that visa.