Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

ENS 186 question for engineers who don't do licensed work

ENS 186 question for engineers who don't do licensed work

Old May 10th 2019, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

davey6693 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ENS 186 question for engineers who don't do licensed work

Hi all,

Might be a narrow band of people who actually have been through this process, but thought I'd ask anyway and maybe get lucky. I've applied on a 186 and had the nomination approved. For the remaining application (my side) they've asked for registration/licensing number for my nominated occupation.

My skills assessement is with ANZSCO 233111, Chemical Engineer. Now of course some chemical engineers will be in positions where licensing is required (stamping drawings, anything where liability comes into play etc). In my case the position I've been offered does not require any licensing. We use simulation software to help customers solve their own engineering problems, train them and provide assistance as necessary. The company has a dozen or more engineering graduates who are all doing the same type of work and none are licensed, so clearly it's a point of fact that they do not require it (or presumably they would have been shut down long ago). Home affairs also processed another 186 a few months ago for someone at the same company who also wasn't licensed, and didn't ask for any.

The question is, does anyone know what would constitute an acceptable response to the department, to advise them that licensing isn't needed? I've asked the company and they plan to give me a letter which states that for their nomination xxxx they do not require me to have a license. I've no idea whether this will wash with the CO.

Anyone else been through this? Even non-engineers? I've tracked down a few postings where people have mentioned they've been asked for licensing, when they didn't believe they needed it. Frustratingly I haven't found out what they did exactly, although a bunch of them seemed to be celebrating a visa grant a few days/weeks later.

Thanks for any responses.
Old May 11th 2019, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ENS 186 question for engineers who don't do licensed work

Originally Posted by davey6693
Hi all,

The question is, does anyone know what would constitute an acceptable response to the department, to advise them that licensing isn't needed? I've asked the company and they plan to give me a letter which states that for their nomination xxxx they do not require me to have a license. I've no idea whether this will wash with the CO.
This is the right approach. Get your nominator to evidence the assertion with something more than "we'd have been shut down long ago". Presumably they have a formal opinion from the appropriate regulator?
Old May 13th 2019, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paul Hand
This is the right approach. Get your nominator to evidence the assertion with something more than "we'd have been shut down long ago". Presumably they have a formal opinion from the appropriate regulator?
Thanks Paul, yes I agree with you that the company itself will need to come through here. Depending on what I get back from them, I might end up getting some legal advice to ensure I get the format of this right. Seems a long way to have come to get anything wrong now.
Old Jul 1st 2019, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Just to close the thread on this, a company letter was evidently sufficient to outline job duties and explain why licensing for my employer's position was not needed. Got the 186 awarded today!
Old Jul 1st 2019, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond reputePaul Hand has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davey6693
Just to close the thread on this, a company letter was evidently sufficient to outline job duties and explain why licensing for my employer's position was not needed. Got the 186 awarded today!
Good to hear ... thanks for letting us know!