English Test

Old Jul 7th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all
Default English Test

To quote part of an email I received this morning:

"Thank you for completing our assessment questionnaire, from your information you appear to be 10 points short of the pass mark for a SKILLED-INDEPENDENT (Subclass 175) visa which would allow you to live and work anywhere in Australia. You can make up these 10 points by unertaking an English test and achieving a score of 7 on each of the language components"

Can anyone tell me what this English test is? What does it involve? Do I,my wife and my 8 year old have to pass it?

Any examples of the types of questions?

Thanks for your time
Old Jul 7th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

makido is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Test

Originally Posted by seat151

"Thank you for completing our assessment questionnaire, from your information you appear to be 10 points short of the pass mark for a SKILLED-INDEPENDENT (Subclass 175) visa which would allow you to live and work anywhere in Australia. You can make up these 10 points by unertaking an English test and achieving a score of 7 on each of the language components"

Can anyone tell me what this English test is? What does it involve? Do I,my wife and my 8 year old have to pass it?

Thanks for your time

Hello!

In order to achieve points for English, you need to sit for the IELTS (International English Language Testing System). It means, even if you are a citizen of an English speaking country, if you want these points as the extra ones to add to your score for a visa, you must sit for the test. If you achieve score of 7 in each part of the test, you will get 20 points (from Sep 1, 2007).
More info on www.ielts.org and www.immi.gov.au!

Good luck!
makido
Old Jul 7th 2007, 12:05 pm
BBQ-KING

BBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by seat151

Thanks for your time
I think you will get 25 points and not 20 as quoted. The IELTS test centres have practise materials together with a cd that you can buy and practise. Dont take the test lightely though, it can be quite tricky, having sat the same ourselves recently. Your child does not have to do the test. Hope this helps and good luck!!
BBQ-KING
Old Jul 7th 2007, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

The test itself is straight forward but you do need to go through the practice materials just to get a feel for it, otherwise it's easy to miss things especially for the hearing one.

Good luck
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice

Originally Posted by BBQ-KING
I think you will get 25 points and not 20 as quoted. The IELTS test centres have practise materials together with a cd that you can buy and practise. Dont take the test lightely though, it can be quite tricky, having sat the same ourselves recently. Your child does not have to do the test. Hope this helps and good luck!!
BBQ-KING

Hi BBQ-KING,

I am thinking of doing the IELTS test also...do you know the following:

(I have just found answers to some of these questions after searching on the web. My findings are in brackets)

1) How much the test costs? (£95.00 - at the University of Liverpool - maybe some universitities charge a different fee)
2) How much do the materials cost? (The University of Liverpool is charging £11.50 for a materials pack)
3) Where can I take the exam? (At various universities around the UK)
4) When can I take the exam? (I know only the dates for the University of Liverpool up to September. These are July 14, July 21, August 18, September 01, September 08)
5) How many days/weeks it takes to get the exam result in writing? (In the case of the University of Liverpool - 13 days)
6) Did you pass the test with a grade 7 (ie. allowing you to claim the full points for language ability)?

Kind Regards,

Gary

Last edited by garyjames; Jul 7th 2007 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

garyjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nicegaryjames is just really nice

Originally Posted by dade
The test itself is straight forward but you do need to go through the practice materials just to get a feel for it, otherwise it's easy to miss things especially for the hearing one.

Good luck
Hi Dade,

I am thinking of doing the IELTS test. Did you manage to get the top grade...which I believe is grade 7 (ie. allowing you to get the full allowance for English ability)?

I am trying to calculate the probability of whether I would get the full marks.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about

My question here is Why 7 band in each module? As far as I remember, u will get straight 20 points if u have 6 band in each module.

Somebody please confirm this band thing.

One more thing, not to fear anyone, but scoring 7 in each module is not a piece of cake!
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by peace19
My question here is Why 7 band in each module? As far as I remember, u will get straight 20 points if u have 6 band in each module.

One more thing, not to fear anyone, but scoring 7 in each module is not a piece of cake!
Hi,

I just read the details about this on the government website. If you get a score of 6 on all 4 areas (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) you will get the full 20 points...assuming you are applying for the 136 visa before September 01.

If you apply for the new visa 175 on September 01, or after, you need to get a score of 7 on all 4 areas to get the 10 bonus points...allowing you to claim the full 25 points for English language ability.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Jul 7th 2007, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

peace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura aboutpeace19 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by garyjames

If you apply for the new visa 175 on September 01, or after, you need to get a score of 7 on all 4 areas to get the 10 bonus points...allowing you to claim the full 25 points for English language ability.
Where its written on govt. site?

I had wrote IELTS in 2nd Sept 2006. I will submit my application to DIMIA in sept 2007. Can i use same IELTS? In IELTS transcript it says 2 yrs validity. What DIMIA says about it? any references?

Note: I had taken IELTS 2 times. And never able to get more than 6.5 in any module. I hate to re-sit:curse:
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

makido is an unknown quantity at this point

You are right, peace19, I made a mistake: it is 6 you need for 20 or 25 points!
makido
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Where its written on govt. site?

I had wrote IELTS in 2nd Sept 2006. I will submit my application to DIMIA in sept 2007. Can i use same IELTS? In IELTS transcript it says 2 yrs validity. What DIMIA says about it? any references?

Note: I had taken IELTS 2 times. And never able to get more than 6.5 in any module. I hate to re-sit:curse:

Hi,

Here is the link regarding changes in relation to English language points. The link also contains clarification regarding the IELT test result 2 year validity issue.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...ge_english.pdf

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:36 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

6) Gary: Did you pass the test with a grade 7 (ie. allowing you to claim the full points for language ability)?
Don't worry, if I can get a band 8 coming from a non English speaking country you surely can get a band 7. Don't stress too much and as some other posters have said get some exam-material to get the feel for it.

Miranda
Old Jul 7th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tum
Don't worry, if I can get a band 8 coming from a non English speaking country you surely can get a band 7. Don't stress too much and as some other posters have said get some exam-material to get the feel for it.

Miranda

Hi Miranda,

Thanks for the confidence boosting comments!!!! Much appreciated!!!!

Kind Regards,

Gary
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:54 pm
BBQ-KING

BBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the roughBBQ-KING is a jewel in the rough

Hi BBQ-KING,

I am thinking of doing the IELTS test also...do you know the following:

(I have just found answers to some of these questions after searching on the web. My findings are in brackets)

1) How much the test costs? (£95.00 - at the University of Liverpool - maybe some universitities charge a different fee)
2) How much do the materials cost? (The University of Liverpool is charging £11.50 for a materials pack)
3) Where can I take the exam? (At various universities around the UK)
4) When can I take the exam? (I know only the dates for the University of Liverpool up to September. These are July 14, July 21, August 18, September 01, September 08)
5) How many days/weeks it takes to get the exam result in writing? (In the case of the University of Liverpool - 13 days)
6) Did you pass the test with a grade 7 (ie. allowing you to claim the full points for language ability)?

Kind Regards,

Gary
Hi Gary,
1). Sounds Right
2).I think the practise materials with CD cost me a tenner
3).Correct, check on their website for venues and booking times, then go to the individual links and book- You need the General training test as opposed to the academic one
4). Check other venue timings/ bookings as well (form the links on the IELTS website)
5). Appx 10 days it took in our case
6).Our application went out in April, however we followed the application up with the IELTS results last week. This was to ensure we do not have a second visa charge upon us.(as the other half's education was not in English)
As far as the band scores etc are concerned, I am as confused as everyone: My o/a score was 7.5 with the lowest at 6.5, My wife's was o/a 8 with the lowest at 7.5,
I am under the impression that before Sept (in our case), we get the 20 points. If we were to apply after Sept then would we have got 25? or down to 15? as my lowest band score was 6.5?? Hope this helps
BBQ-KING
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

dade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nicedade is just really nice

Hi Dade,

I am thinking of doing the IELTS test. Did you manage to get the top grade...which I believe is grade 7 (ie. allowing you to get the full allowance for English ability)?

I am trying to calculate the probability of whether I would get the full marks.

Kind Regards,

Gary
Hi Gary

A score of 7 is definitely doable but go through the practice materials so you are comfortable with the format.

I got 9 on thrre modules and 8.5 on one, giving me an overall score of 9. Hubby got 9 on one module and 8 on three, getting an overall score of 8. He didn't go through the practice materials like I had advised him to and got lost on the hearing one cause they don't repeat.

English is not our first language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.