Wikiposts

English Lang test...

Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

francesm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English Lang test...

Hi guys

Just a quick question...i'm from the UK but need to do the language test to get enough points for an independent PR app. The next available test dates are in june/july...do I have to wait till i've done the assessment before i can lodge my visa application or can i lodge it and then do the test. I've read a lot about more restrictions surrounding number of migrants allow in for this year..should i be panicking? i'm currently on a 457 and really need to get my PR...i dont want my work to sponsor me for it...

Thanks heaps
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Lang test...

Originally Posted by francesm
Hi guys

Just a quick question...i'm from the UK but need to do the language test to get enough points for an independent PR app. The next available test dates are in june/july...do I have to wait till i've done the assessment before i can lodge my visa application or can i lodge it and then do the test. I've read a lot about more restrictions surrounding number of migrants allow in for this year..should i be panicking? i'm currently on a 457 and really need to get my PR...i dont want my work to sponsor me for it...

Thanks heaps
Since you have UK passport you can lodge an application now and then claim extra points for IELTS later
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Thanks heaps
Do you know that if your employer sponsor you for PR you will get the highest priority?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

i work in recruitment and my job is somewhat... unstable... I dont think I can deal with it for much longer! I was planning to apply for PR, travel for a while until I get my PR approved...
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

i work in recruitment and my job is somewhat... unstable... I dont think I can deal with it for much longer! I was planning to apply for PR, travel for a while until I get my PR approved...
Good Luck
Remember it's always better to submit your application earlier.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 11:00 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

Thanks heaps
Have you checked the IELTS website for test dates at other centres? If you're still in UK you can drive a couple of hours to do the test somewhere else and get the date much closer. www.ielts.org
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies. I'm currently in Sydney on a 457. Am i able to lodge my PR app and then do the test, like with medicals/police checks etc or do I have to wait to do the test and have the results before i can apply?

Also, if i apply for my PR and then leave the country and travel for a while, will this effect my application at all? I know i won't be able to work or anything until it's approved.

Thanks heaps
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your replies. I'm currently in Sydney on a 457. Am i able to lodge my PR app and then do the test, like with medicals/police checks etc or do I have to wait to do the test and have the results before i can apply?

Also, if i apply for my PR and then leave the country and travel for a while, will this effect my application at all? I know i won't be able to work or anything until it's approved.

Thanks heaps
yes you can lodge a PR visa application and then do the test before you have a CO. Since you have a UK passport and you are doing IELTS only to claim 25 points for english. Without the IELTS you will get only 15 points as a holder of UK passport.
For the travelling part, it should be ok. You only have to prove your work experience before you lodge the visa application. And for a 175/176 visa you will have to be offshore for the visa to be granted.

Last edited by mavios; Mar 22nd 2009 at 2:28 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:26 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks heaps
If you hold a UK passport you can do the test after you apply to get the extra points. I took a quick look at the IELTS site and found test dates in Sydney in June, so you could possibly do it sooner if you wanted to.

As for leaving the country and travelling, yes, you can do that. Just let DIAC know so they can keep in contact. If you are applying for a 175/176 visa then you need to be out of Australia when your visa is granted anyway.

Take a good long read of booklet 6 at www.immi.gov.au Make it your favourite book for the next few months while you get your application together.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Not an ideal solution perhaps, but if you want to take a test sooner, there are lots of dates available in New Zealand in April. That's what my son had to do, to get his test in, in time. Yes just heard today he has passed every part!!!!! So it was worth it.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Excellent. Thanks for all your help