Engineers Australia-help needed please

Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

beachlou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineers Australia-help needed please

Hello all,

We have started to apply for a 175 visa and need to get my husband's skills assesed. He's a Civil Engineer and we sent off his things to Engineers Australia and they wrote back stating that his degree wasn't on the Washington Accord, but according to the Engineer Council UK website, it is on the list, it also states that it's on the Sydeny Accord.

Is it worth appealing? Or investigating further or simply completing the CDR?

Many thanks
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

mavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond reputemavios has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineers Australia-help needed please

Hi there,
Well I'm also a Civil Engineer, and got a possitive assessment from engineers australia. I did submit a CDR at the time and it only took one week to assess. so if you have the CDR materials ready or ur husband can get them ready in a short time, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go for the CDR.
wish you all the luck
Old Nov 29th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Hi,
I am also a Civil Engineer. I had submitted my CDR and got a positive result. If your hubby can prepare the CDR, nothing like that, certainly it will save your time, energy and money too than appealing.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachlou
Hello all,

We have started to apply for a 175 visa and need to get my husband's skills assesed. He's a Civil Engineer and we sent off his things to Engineers Australia and they wrote back stating that his degree wasn't on the Washington Accord, but according to the Engineer Council UK website, it is on the list, it also states that it's on the Sydeny Accord.

Is it worth appealing? Or investigating further or simply completing the CDR?

Many thanks
If it is accredited by EC-UK for Chartered Engineer purposes, then it falls under Washington Accord (normally) and you should ask IEAUST for an explanation of why they will not accept it. If they don't answer then you may need to follow up with EC-UK.

The Washington Accord does only apply to degrees obtained since 1989 or so, but this date has historically not been enforced by IEAUST.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
If it is accredited by EC-UK for Chartered Engineer purposes, then it falls under Washington Accord (normally) and you should ask IEAUST for an explanation of why they will not accept it. If they don't answer then you may need to follow up with EC-UK.

The Washington Accord does only apply to degrees obtained since 1989 or so, but this date has historically not been enforced by IEAUST.

OK, thanks for that. Husband got his degree in 2006, so that's not the issue.

We're likely to do a CDR now. Can anyone tell me how much it involves as we really want to apply for our visa asap.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by letusenjoy79
Hi,
I am also a Civil Engineer. I had submitted my CDR and got a positive result. If your hubby can prepare the CDR, nothing like that, certainly it will save your time, energy and money too than appealing.
Yers, I think you're right. Could you tell me how long it took approximately to prepare it and send it off? Thank you
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Yers, I think you're right. Could you tell me how long it took approximately to prepare it and send it off? Thank you
For preparation of CDR, it took nearly 30-35 days. After submission of CDR Engineers Australia took time of 4 weeks.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 4:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks for that. Husband got his degree in 2006, so that's not the issue.

We're likely to do a CDR now.

Why would you want to do that if IEAUST have made a mistake?

Are you really sure the degree is accredited for Chartered Engineer purposes? A lot of universities no longer offer fully accredited degrees.
Old Nov 30th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why would you want to do that if IEAUST have made a mistake?

Are you really sure the degree is accredited for Chartered Engineer purposes? A lot of universities no longer offer fully accredited degrees.
We have contacted the UK Engineering Council to double check it is on the list, but are going to prepare the CDR just in case. I've heard that if you appeal and it's not successful, that's it? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Husband's course is definitely accredited for Chartered Engineer as he would only do a degree that was. He's also in the final part of getting his matching sections towards an MEng through his company and they would only do taht if his degree was accredited-if that makes sense.

We'll wait to hear from UK Engineering Council to see what they say.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:40 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

We have contacted the UK Engineering Council to double check it is on the list, but are going to prepare the CDR just in case. I've heard that if you appeal and it's not successful, that's it? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Husband's course is definitely accredited for Chartered Engineer as he would only do a degree that was. He's also in the final part of getting his matching sections towards an MEng through his company and they would only do taht if his degree was accredited-if that makes sense.

We'll wait to hear from UK Engineering Council to see what they say.
Hi Beachlou,

EA are a very approachable organisation and I'd be confident that if they didn't find it on the Washington Accord list but did find it on the Sydney Accord then that's most likely correct on the information available to them. If the EC hasn't upgraded their database then I don't think you can blame EA.

However I'd just note that if he's Sydney Accord then it's still a 60 point qualification (Engineering Technologist) and depending on your points that might be enough. Probably wouldn't want to put your husband through a CDR until this is sorted, honestly should just be two phone calls, one to each organisation, doubt if you'd even need to appeal as EA has an internal checking procedure they can apply prior to undertaking an appeal. If you email me I'll give you the number and the bod to call - he may even be able to help with finding someone at the EC to listen.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

My husband received a similar letter from EA last month. The CDR has taken him pretty much the whole weekend working on it non-stop to complete. Yo also need to provide employer reference letters which bump up the time needed to put everything together.

EA are very good at answering questions though, so drop them an email if you feel 100% that they are wrong with supporting evidence of where you found information about your husband's degree.

Good luck.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

A.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really niceA.I.Hassan is just really nice

Hi All,

I sent my CDR on November 24, and as per DHL it reached EA on November 27

Yet, I didn't get any feedback (even the receipt of arrival or the Contact ID). My credit card isn't charged as well

Is this normal? When shall I contact EA?

P.S. It took me 6 weeks to complete my CDR on part-time basis (i.e. beside my normal work). It wasn't an easy task, but benificial by all means.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

We didn't get a acknowledgment until after the money had been taken. It also took a week to arrive via post from Aus. Don't worry too much just now.