Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Engineers Australia Assessment (merged threads)

Engineers Australia Assessment (merged threads)

Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:10 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineers Australia Assessment (merged threads)

Originally Posted by CJA View Post
No. I am asking if Cost Control and Project management can be used as the basis for a Career Episode. I will really appreciate if you go through my question again and guide me. Thanks
forgive me.

You question was:

"I am in the process of writing my CDR (Civil Engineer). The thing is that during my 3 year career, I have worked in an interior fit-out company in Dubai after graduation for almost 2 years as a Civil Engineer. There I handled mostly management AND design of the interior projects like mosques and villas etc. Now my question is, can I use one of the projects I handled during that time as basis for one of the CDR episodes? The work I did was the interior design of the mosque, preparation of quotations and cost control of the project. Your advice is more than appreciated. I can provide you with the pdf of the work I did if that could help. Thanks in advance."

so you are asking if cost control and project management of interior design is acceptable as a CDR for civil Engineering?

Does it have a Civil Engineering context?
Was this arranging of painting, furniture and curtains, or was it structural?
If you didn't get it right would the mosque fall down?

You are a civil Engineer, you know what a civil engineer does. Do you think your work on the project fitted in with the general work of a Civil Engineer?

The experience is only valid if it is an appropriate area.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:29 am
CJA
Just Joined

CJA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool View Post
forgive me.

You question was:

"I am in the process of writing my CDR (Civil Engineer). The thing is that during my 3 year career, I have worked in an interior fit-out company in Dubai after graduation for almost 2 years as a Civil Engineer. There I handled mostly management AND design of the interior projects like mosques and villas etc. Now my question is, can I use one of the projects I handled during that time as basis for one of the CDR episodes? The work I did was the interior design of the mosque, preparation of quotations and cost control of the project. Your advice is more than appreciated. I can provide you with the pdf of the work I did if that could help. Thanks in advance."

so you are asking if cost control and project management of interior design is acceptable as a CDR for civil Engineering?

Does it have a Civil Engineering context?
Was this arranging of painting, furniture and curtains, or was it structural?
If you didn't get it right would the mosque fall down?

You are a civil Engineer, you know what a civil engineer does. Do you think your work on the project fitted in with the general work of a Civil Engineer?

The experience is only valid if it is an appropriate area.
Nope mate. I did fit-out work like false ceiling and heavy GRG roof and wall fixtures, false gypsum arches and columns etc. And yes they may fall down if not fixed properly, any civil engineer would know that. I am not sure that is why I am asking if it is valid or not. But I guess there is no civil engineer on the forum. Thanks for quick reply.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:01 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CJA View Post
Nope mate. I did fit-out work like false ceiling and heavy GRG roof and wall fixtures, false gypsum arches and columns etc. And yes they may fall down if not fixed properly, any civil engineer would know that. I am not sure that is why I am asking if it is valid or not. But I guess there is no civil engineer on the forum. Thanks for quick reply.
It really depends on how you can explain what you did in the context of the 'Professional Engineer competencies',

For example (from the EA booklet):
PE2 ENGINEERING APPLICATION ABILITY
PE2.1 Application of established engineering methods to complex engineering problem solving.

Is fixing arches an example of complex engineering problem solving? Did you do any complex modelling or overcome any engineering challenges. Maybe your project is in a seismic area so you did lots of research on the challenges of construction in an earthquake zone? We can't help you answer that, what you need to do is differentiate how your work experience separates you from, say, a Engineering Technician. Only you can explain that.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

alihasan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help regarding CDR subimission Help regarding CDR subimission

Hi,

I have completed my CDR for Engineers Australia and am in the process of submitting it. There are few points that I would like to ask you guys. I will be much obliged if you can help to clarify these. Thanks in advance.

1. Do I have to fill the CDR application form on my pc and then print it? or can I fill it by hand?

2. Can I use a visa debit card for the payment of the fee?

3. I am registered as an engineer in the U.A.E society of engineers so as evidence of registration under the relevant licensing authority, should I submit a certified copy of the U.A.E society of engineers card? Also there is some text in arabic on it along with its english translation. Do I need to get it translated again by some NAATI accredited translator?

4. Can I submit a certified copy of the employment reference letter? or does it have to be original?

5. I have based one of my career episode on my final year engineering project in the university. Do I need to get some certificate from the university for that?
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

alihasan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have completed the CDR and CPD and now I am stuck at Summary Statement for days. There is a question that has been bugging me a lot. I will appreciate if you guys can help me. Thanks

Are we supposed to address all the sub elements of the Summary Statement in the CDR? For example in "2.2 i" for Professional Engineer it is written that...

"Understands the need for systematic management of the acquisition, commissioning, operation, upgrade, monitoring and maintenance of engineering plant, facilities, equipment and systems."

I have worked as a civil structural engineer and I am not sure this can apply to my work. Please help me
Old Apr 11th 2013, 3:37 pm

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Threads merged.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Ryan_G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I Have completed 16 yrs of education which includes 4 yrs bachelor degree in Mechanical engineer and working as a design engineer in aerospace domain and have 6 yrs experience, Do I qualify for general skilled migration ??
Old Apr 18th 2013, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

mihaibertea is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Engineers Australia Assessment (merged threads)

Hi all,

My first post on here . I just want to say hi to all and I'm going to start with a question:
What are my chances to get a visa if I'm an engineer but without any experience. I've got my diploma in 2011 in materials engineer and postgraduate course in Health and safety. If you have any advice please let me know.
At the moment I don't know exactly what to do,to gather information about the process or to go to an agent to help with visa process and advices.

Thank you,
Fingers crossed,maybe I will be on a sunny beach in 1-2 years
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:02 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mihaibertea View Post
Hi all,

My first post on here . I just want to say hi to all and I'm going to start with a question:
What are my chances to get a visa if I'm an engineer but without any experience. I've got my diploma in 2011 in materials engineer and postgraduate course in Health and safety. If you have any advice please let me know.
At the moment I don't know exactly what to do,to gather information about the process or to go to an agent to help with visa process and advices.

Thank you,
Fingers crossed,maybe I will be on a sunny beach in 1-2 years
If you have a 4-year degree from a Washington Accord accredited university program, you could get a positive skills assessment without work experience. The fact that you've used the term 'diploma' makes it unlikely that is the case... if that assumption (sorry) is true, you would have to go down the CDR route, which means 3-4 years work experience in order to prove your capabilities as an engineer.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by msmyrtle View Post
If you have a 4-year degree from a Washington Accord accredited university program, you could get a positive skills assessment without work experience. The fact that you've used the term 'diploma' makes it unlikely that is the case... if that assumption (sorry) is true, you would have to go down the CDR route, which means 3-4 years work experience in order to prove your capabilities as an engineer.
thank you for reply msmyrtle, I have used the wrong term for my qualification.
I've studied for 5 years Uni,and I have a degree in science and materials engineering. Now I got to check if my uni is on this Washington Accord.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mihaibertea View Post
thank you for reply msmyrtle, I have used the wrong term for my qualification.
I've studied for 5 years Uni,and I have a degree in science and materials engineering. Now I got to check if my uni is on this Washington Accord.
Yep,it's not, lucky me. The thing is that I've finished in Romania, and is not on the list
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Ryan_G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Everyone..

I have completed my bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineer; I am working as a design engineer, totally I have 6 years of experience in Design (CAD) domain, for the clients Airbus, bombardier and Procter & Gamble. Can anyone tell what I need to do to apply for Australian Visa… in terms of IELTS requirement.. ENGINEER AUSTRLIA and any other specific bands to be achieved in IELTS??
How long the ENGINEER AUSTRLIA SKILL assessment takes ... I know many gurus/experts are here and please guide as I am new to this...
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 10:10 am
Lost in the antipodes

Originally Posted by Ryan_G View Post
Hello Everyone..

I have completed my bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineer; I am working as a design engineer, totally I have 6 years of experience in Design (CAD) domain, for the clients Airbus, bombardier and Procter & Gamble. Can anyone tell what I need to do to apply for Australian Visa… in terms of IELTS requirement.. ENGINEER AUSTRLIA and any other specific bands to be achieved in IELTS??
How long the ENGINEER AUSTRLIA SKILL assessment takes ... I know many gurus/experts are here and please guide as I am new to this...
First you need to determine whether your occupation is eligible for skilled migration. Almost all engineers are on Schedule 1, which means you can qualify for an independent visa. Mechanical Engineer, Industrial Engineer, Aeronautical Engineer, etc...

A quick points test (assuming positive skills assessment) will give you a likelihood of being invited to apply

Next you need to apply for a skills assessment from Engineers Australia, if you hold a Washington Accord-accredited degree it is 'easy' to get a result in 2-3 weeks. If you do not hold a Washington Accord-accredited degree you will have to go down the CDR assessment pathway, which is a summary of your career episodes, examples of how you applied your engineering knowledge, etc etc.

Link here: http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...lls-assessment

Whether you need to write the IELTS depends on if you need the points, and/or if you do not hold a passport from an exempt-country. Not sure if you need IELTS for the EA bit.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

jamy_nico is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by msmyrtle View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but I just wanted to point out that you DON'T NEED work experience to write the CDR and get a positive migration skill assesment under Engineers Australia ! It is clearly stated on their website !

The same goes for the General skilled migration visa. They scrapped the one year work experience minimum rule last july !!

I know because I'm a young graduate from a non washington accord uni so I inquired
Old Jul 20th 2013, 11:18 am
Just Joined

durstos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I plan on immigrating in 1.5 years when I have finished my studies as a civil engineer. How likely do you think will it be to get assessed positvely by engineers Australia and the immigration office if I dont have any work experience? (or well just half a year)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.