Old Mar 13th 2001, 5:23 pm
mark.davidson1

Does any one have any information regarding the job situation on the Gold Coast
as regards the Engineering Industry with particular emphasis on Toolmaker, CNC
machinist or metal machinist positions.

Cheers MD

Old Mar 14th 2001, 2:02 pm
mark.davidson1

Zeebee, is that a general assumption on your part or is your statement based in fact.
Do you live there? There must be some Engineering facilities in the area and when I
say area I also mean South Brisbane right down to Northern NSW.

Cheers MD

>

[usenetquote2]> > Does any one have any information regarding the job situation on the[/usenetquote2]
Gold
[usenetquote2]> >Coast as regards the Engineering Industry with particular emphasis on Toolmaker,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >CNC machinist or metal machinist positions.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Mar 14th 2001, 2:07 pm
mark.davidson1

PS.... I forgot to mention that I was there 2 years ago staying with family. so i am
aware of the economic designation of the area.

Cheers again MD

>
    >
    >
area
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:23:45 -0000[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Does any one have any information regarding the job situation on the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >Coast as regards the Engineering Industry with particular emphasis on Toolmaker,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >CNC machinist or metal machinist positions.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The Gold Coast isn't a manufacturing area, it's a tourist area.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Ditto the places round it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > try www.careerone.com.au which is culled from newspaper classified ads.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Zebee[/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 14th 2001, 3:30 pm
Bob McCulloch

Hi MD,, Zeebee is basically correct. The Gold Coast region and on down into Nth NSW
is predominantly a huge Tourist region for both Australians and many thousands of
'foreign tourists' with dormitory housing for the necessary workers to sustain that
'industry' behind it and adjoining it. As you go south into NSW it quickly becomes
Rural Industries and farmlands. There are also however hundreds of mainly small
industrial and commercial 'factories and factory-ettes' adjoining the Gold Coast
region and also they exist primarily to service the large Tourist industry and the
building and Construction Industry that feeds off the Tourist Development and
re-development. Southern Brisbane has quite a lot of Large and Heavy Engineering and
probably most of the engineering in Brisbane has tended to concentrate to the
southern and Eastern areas. Many people do travel daily between the two "towns" but
it's quite a commute from Brisbane to the Gold Coast. Probably about 60 - 80kms each
way - though the connecting freeway system is now excellent, and quick. The quick and
rather huge rise in fuel prices, from around the 60c/litre to
90c/litre, that has happened during the term of this Liberal Government would make
this commuting by car expensive. A new rail link from Brisbane to the Gold Coast
is now operating I believe though I have no idea of it's cost. The bus connection
was suprisingly very expensive. To make commuting shorter and get the best of
both worlds the area between Brisbane and the Gold Coast is fast evolving as a
50km 'ribbon development' of housing and commercial enterprises. The biggest
Shopping Centre in Australia is along this stretch of road. This whole region
continues to have quite high growth rates and the availability of labour
attracted by the "good" life style of the region attracts industry to utilise it.
Tourism is pretty labour intensive, probably particularly so for female
employment, so two job families are most common. Wages in the Gold Coast region
and Hinterland have always tended to be depressed cf national figures. A price of
living in heaven say the Locals. I also believe that the costs of living are
probably above the national averages. A famous 'T shirt' slogan reads -"please
don't rip me off - I live here!" This pretty well sums it up. Foreign Tourists
converting from their home currencies to the AU$ do very well so can 'afford' the
sometimes inflated prices on offer. Tourism can be a volatile base for any area
in the world - though the parlous state of the AU$ should see it busy for the
foreseeable future. Hell - If the uncertainty that is growing about the 'future'
of the Federal Government here isn't resolved quickly with a Federal election we
may all be "up there" competing with you for a job!! It feels like Business is
putting everything 'on hold' until the fate of the Howard Government is
clarified, probably by an Election that must be held in the latter part of this
year anyway. And the pschycology of John Howard would suggest he will just 'tough
it out' to destruction. Think business is fearful that the Liberal Government is
making itself so 'dead in the water' that a Labour victory could result almost
without Labour announcing a policy. And that is probably a worst case scenario
for Business confidence and planning. Mark, in this country there is always work
to be had if you're clever enough to get it. And .. my last boss in Marketing was
a Geologist! I am currently working as an Agency heavy truck driver alongside an
Industrial Chemist, a panel Beater and a Motor Mechanic. So maybe a change of
country can encourage a change in career path also. Enjoy your life...

"mark.davidson1" wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:23:45 -0000[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > Does any one have any information regarding the job situation on the[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > >Coast as regards the Engineering Industry with particular emphasis on Toolmaker,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >CNC machinist or metal machinist positions.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > The Gold Coast isn't a manufacturing area, it's a tourist area.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Ditto the places round it.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > try www.careerone.com.au which is culled from newspaper classified ads.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Zebee[/usenetquote2]

Old Mar 14th 2001, 8:26 pm
Zebee Johnstone

In misc.immigration.australia+nz on Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:02:47 -0000

>
    >
    >
    >

Lived in the NOrthern Rivers for 2 years, spent a fair bit of time in the Gold
Coast area.

The closer you get to Bris, the better luck you will have.

Australia is, generally, a collection of capital cities with all the people in them
and bugger all elsewhere. As the population ages, more people go for retirement in
the coastal areas, but manufacturing stays close that I now of.

It's not absolute knowledge, but I didn't see much in the way of manufacturing when I
was there.

Zebee

Old Mar 14th 2001, 11:18 pm
LJ

Around the fringes of Brisbane (north and south) there are pockets of what I'd call
'Light industrial'. But what sort of industrial it's hard to tell from driving by!
Why don't you try browsing the yellow pages (.com.au) for business categories that
might fit your areas of expertise.

Adding to what Zebee said about GoldCoast/retirees etc. I'll say that IMHO, everybody
wants to live by the beach somewhere. Which tends to mean that places like the Gold
Coast have more people than jobs.

There may be some engineering work, but the probability of moving to the gold coast,
and getting a local job would be slimmer than moving to the coast and commuting to
Brisbane. LJ

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Zeebee, is that a general assumption on your part or is your statement based in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > fact. Do you live there? There must be some Engineering facilities in the area[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > and when I say area I also mean South Brisbane right down to Northern NSW.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >