Wikiposts

Engineering qualification needed?

Old Jul 15th 2002, 12:20 pm
Karen

Default Engineering qualification needed?

Hi everyone,

I'll cut a long story short, but I've had a negative skills assessment as a
Graphic designer ( I need a degree and have and HND!) and we can't apply for Aus
PR through me!

We have a sponsor and assurer and will be going to a designated area (SA) and won't
need to pass the points test, BUT we do need a positive skills assessment to proceed!

My husband is currently a Service Engineer, he services, maintains and repairs
industrial cleaning equipment and uses various diagnostic equipment and does PAT
testing etc and is highly competent at what he does and has excellent knowledge
about the cleaning and flooring industry. So much so that he was offered a job while
we were in Aus earlier in the year. Needless to say the company didn't want to
sponsor us first!

1.) The thing is, I can't work out which ASCO category he would need to be assessed
under. Can anyone help with this?

2.) The other downside is that he has no formal qualification other than 10 years
experience in the industry. His education is up to A'levels!

3.) Can he be assessed JUST on his work experience?

4.) Could he go back to college and get some kind of basic qualification which would
enable him to get a positive skill assessment?

I'd be really grateful for any comments, as we are now desperately trying to find a
way in to Aus, so any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much, I couldn't get through all of this without everyones excellent
info here!

Feel free to email us!

Karen and Ken

Old Jul 16th 2002, 2:21 am
George Lombard

Default Re: Engineering qualification needed?

Hi Karen and Ken,

Ken sounds like he may be what we would call here a technician or perhaps some sort
of tradesman. You will need to work through a lot of the ASCO codes on the SOL to be
sure. If he is a tradesman, then he will not need work experience. On the other hand,
if he is a technician, he probably will. Essentially, any occupation assessed by TRA
will allow you to claim relevant work experience.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Karen wrote in message
<[email protected]>. ..
    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I'll cut a long story short, but I've had a negative skills assessment as a
    >Graphic designer ( I need a degree and have and HND!) and we can't apply for Aus
    >PR through me!
    >
    >We have a sponsor and assurer and will be going to a designated area (SA) and
    >won't need to pass the points test, BUT we do need a positive skills assessment
    >to proceed!
    >
    >My husband is currently a Service Engineer, he services, maintains and repairs
    >industrial cleaning equipment and uses various diagnostic equipment and does PAT
    >testing etc and is highly competent at what he does and has excellent knowledge
    >about the cleaning and flooring industry. So much so that he was offered a job while
    >we were in Aus earlier in the year. Needless to say the company didn't want to
    >sponsor us first!
    >
    >1.) The thing is, I can't work out which ASCO category he would need to be assessed
    > under. Can anyone help with this?
    >
    >2.) The other downside is that he has no formal qualification other than 10 years
    > experience in the industry. His education is up to A'levels!
    >
    >3.) Can he be assessed JUST on his work experience?
    >
    >4.) Could he go back to college and get some kind of basic qualification which would
    > enable him to get a positive skill assessment?
    >
    >I'd be really grateful for any comments, as we are now desperately trying to find a
    >way in to Aus, so any ideas would be really appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks so much, I couldn't get through all of this without everyones excellent
    >info here!
    >
    >Feel free to email us!
    >
    >Karen and Ken