Wikiposts

EN Mental Health

Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

BilboB is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy EN Mental Health

Hi all,

After a trip to visit my sister in Bridgewater, Adelaide, SA late last year we have decided that the lure of Adelaide is too much to bear so we have just started to look generally at if this move would be possible.

I am an Enrolled Nurse in Mental Health in England (they call us level 2 registered nurses now but that was just a way of getting round some of the legal stuff). I have worked for nearly 20 years in rehab with those who suffer long term major mental illness. More recently I have moved to work in Forensic care (Psychiatric prison service), mainly working with Personality disorders.

I have discovered that the NBSA maintain a Roll of EN nurses, so I would hope that finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem.

However, I found the following on Information sheet 1121i - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Enrolled Nurses - There is no nominated occupation with corresponding ASCO code under the Skilled Occupation List for Enrolled Nurse, Registered Nurse (Division 2) Licensed Practical Nurse or Nurse Assistant. Nurses who have these qualifications are not able to apply for assessment of their skills under General Skilled Migration.

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme and the Employer Nominated Scheme both also talk about any position being on the Skilled Ocupation List, so thats a no I guess. Please PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but this leaves me with family sponsorship which presents its own problems.

Oh, and before anyone asks, big sis has been over there less than a year, so she would not be able to sponsor us for a while, and my work wont pay for the UK conversion to fully registered nurse (since agenda for change) as it will make no difference to them, and even if they would that is an extra 18 months before I can start the process. For varying reasons this would make time a major issue.

Are there any options I have not seen out there? Preferably of getting a Permenant residency visa? I will probably try getting in touch with an agent soon for a skills assessment to see if they come up with any ideas (big sisters idea).

Any help appreciated ... after what seems like so many knock backs just from reading through I could do with a bit of good news.

Trying to remain hopeful ...
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:27 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EN Mental Health

Originally Posted by BilboB
Hi all,

After a trip to visit my sister in Bridgewater, Adelaide, SA late last year we have decided that the lure of Adelaide is too much to bear so we have just started to look generally at if this move would be possible.

I am an Enrolled Nurse in Mental Health in England (they call us level 2 registered nurses now but that was just a way of getting round some of the legal stuff). I have worked for nearly 20 years in rehab with those who suffer long term major mental illness. More recently I have moved to work in Forensic care (Psychiatric prison service), mainly working with Personality disorders.

I have discovered that the NBSA maintain a Roll of EN nurses, so I would hope that finding work shouldn't be too much of a problem.

However, I found the following on Information sheet 1121i - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf

Enrolled Nurses - There is no nominated occupation with corresponding ASCO code under the Skilled Occupation List for Enrolled Nurse, Registered Nurse (Division 2) Licensed Practical Nurse or Nurse Assistant. Nurses who have these qualifications are not able to apply for assessment of their skills under General Skilled Migration.

The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme and the Employer Nominated Scheme both also talk about any position being on the Skilled Ocupation List, so thats a no I guess. Please PLEASE correct me if I am wrong, but this leaves me with family sponsorship which presents its own problems.
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme is not based on the Skilled Occupations List. If the occupation is at diploma/trade cert level or higher then it may well qualify.

Enrolled Nurse, 3411-11 is in principle eligible for RSMS. But do you have diploma level qualifications?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:45 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this is better news for you Will

Lou
xx
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:55 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi from a fellow Forensic Nurse

Hopefully, you'll find the answers to your queries here: http://www.anmc.org.au/ have a look down the list of options on the right & you'll see the info for Enrolled Nurses there.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll find you're covered
Old Jan 16th 2008, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Hi, Thanks for the replys and encouragement, Off to check these links out and hopefully now I will be back reading / asking questions. Was starting to get a little disillusioned with a job I love back there.

For any of you Mental Health nurses, especially in Adelaide ... from what I have read the ENs role in MH seems to be like it used to be in England, lots of direct patient care and little paperwork, am I wrong?

BilboB
Old Jan 16th 2008, 5:56 am
Just Joined

JAJ - you asked if I have a diploma level qualification ... I went to have a look at the course for enrolled nurded in TafeSA's website. The course is shorter than the old SEN training in England by 6 months and a lot more generalized than the service specific (i.e. MH) version I qualified under. Still this is something I would need to look closely at.

Jenni - thanks, how long have you been in Oz? What is the Forensic service like over there? Its a job I would like to continue with given free choice.

Last edited by BilboB; Jan 16th 2008 at 6:03 am. Reason: missed a bit :s
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BilboB
JAJ - you asked if I have a diploma level qualification ... I went to have a look at the course for enrolled nurded in TafeSA's website. The course is shorter than the old SEN training in England by 6 months and a lot more generalized than the service specific (i.e. MH) version I qualified under. Still this is something I would need to look closely at.
Get professional assistance. Try George Lombard.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:42 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Quite agree Jaj - I already recommended George or Alan Collett and have given him the contact details.

Lou (OPs sister )

Originally Posted by JAJ
Get professional assistance. Try George Lombard.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:18 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, can't help you there I'm afraid - I've sent off my stuff to the ANC to be ratified, but I'm not the visa applicant, that's the OH's job

Still languishing here in the cold & rain in Kent..... 'tis very sad yannow!

Best of luck with your situation