Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Employer Sponsored Visa but not on skills list?

Wikiposts

Employer Sponsored Visa but not on skills list?

Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:19 am
Just Joined

LillyPix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer Sponsored Visa but not on skills list?

Hi

Been thinking about Aus for the last 10 years having backpacked there for a year. We have 2 small kids now and are seriously considering emigrating to Melbourne.

The main sticking point however seems to be our 'skills' or lack of them. From what I can gather my husband (who would be the main earner whilst I look after the kids) would not be able to get in on a skilled visa so we would need to be sponsored by an organisation - however from what I have read he still needs to have a skill that is on the skills list - is this right?

He has 14 years experience within the design and print field as a Regional Director so he has many diverse skills. Is there any chance of us being able to obtain a visa? I'm confused (easily!). Thanks so much for any replies.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer Sponsored Visa but not on skills list?

You need to review the various occupation lists and see whether his occupation is on any of them.

There are the SOL lists which are relevant to skilled migration (independent or sponsored). Then there is the ENSOL which is used for permanent emplyer sponsored visas. If the occupation is not on any of these lists then he is not eligible for skilled migration or the employer visa offering PR.

This would then leave temporary employer sponsored visa, the 457, which has yet another list of eligible occupations. This list is very extensive, but of course the trouble is it is a temporary visa and there is no automatic pathway to PR.

What about your occupation? Are you eligible for skilled migration? It doesn't matter whether or not you are, or will be the main breadwiinner.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Ah that's very helpful thank you. I don't really have an 'occupation' as such as I've had a few diverse jobs and have moved about quite a bit, but I'll have to look at that a bit further. Hopefully my husband might fit in somewhere on the ENSOL list so will delve a bit deeper.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:04 pm
Banned

gr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant futuregr8leo87 has a brilliant future

There's a visa called Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS). For this you will need to secure employment from a regional employer.

For RSMS visa your skills don't have to be on any SOL and you don't need any sort of assessment.

But, there are other requirements. Please read up on RSMS visa on australian immigration website. google RSMS.

But for RSMS you need to be already in australia on another qualifying visa :/ I think there would be temporary RSMS too. reading up on it will probably help.

good luck.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gr8leo87
There's a visa called Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS). For this you will need to secure employment from a regional employer.

For RSMS visa your skills don't have to be on any SOL and you don't need any sort of assessment.

But, there are other requirements. Please read up on RSMS visa on australian immigration website. google RSMS.

But for RSMS you need to be already in australia on another qualifying visa :/ I think there would be temporary RSMS too. reading up on it will probably help.

good luck.
You do not need to be in Australia to be sponsored on RSMS.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 1:17 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gr8leo87

good luck.
Originally Posted by jothefw
You do not need to be in Australia to be sponsored on RSMS.
But you do have to have qualifications at diploma level and/or considerable experience and have that assessed by a certifying body in the rural/regional area in order for the employer to nominate you.

Also the job you are being nominated into must be coded on ASCO/ANZSCO list of occupations.

There is no temporary RSMS - the temporary equivalent would be a 457 I think.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
But you do have to have qualifications at diploma level and/or considerable experience and have that assessed by a certifying body in the rural/regional area in order for the employer to nominate you.

Also the job you are being nominated into must be coded on ASCO/ANZSCO list of occupations.

There is no temporary RSMS - the temporary equivalent would be a 457 I think.
Totally right.
Old Jan 26th 2011, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Location: The world is a global village, so why we need a location?
awan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Totally right.
Old Jan 29th 2011, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Ah that sounds interesting too, might be feasible. Thanks so much for your help