Emigrating to Brisbane (or nearby)

Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Drew Peacock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating to Brisbane (or nearby)

Hi,

I am a 30 year old single guy from England currently working in Civil Service doing IT for about 4 years now, doing software development mainly. I have a HNC and a Diploma something or other. Looking to move to Brisbane or the next nearest big city to the Gold Coast (got a sibling there). I have almost no ties here so looking to get over and get a job - doing anything - ASAP, where do I start? And how quick do you reckon I can do it? I think I get 60 points easily enough but need to figure out the qualifications.

If I was to come over on a working holiday visa, could I apply for the skilled/citizenship visa whilst over there?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:55 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to Brisbane (or nearby)

Originally Posted by Drew Peacock View Post
Hi,

I am a 30 year old single guy from England currently working in Civil Service doing IT for about 4 years now, doing software development mainly. I have a HNC and a Diploma something or other. Looking to move to Brisbane or the next nearest big city to the Gold Coast (got a sibling there). I have almost no ties here so looking to get over and get a job - doing anything - ASAP, where do I start? And how quick do you reckon I can do it? I think I get 60 points easily enough but need to figure out the qualifications.

If I was to come over on a working holiday visa, could I apply for the skilled/citizenship visa whilst over there?
Place to start is www.immi.gov.au
If you come on a WHV you can certainly apply for a skills visa if you meet the criteria (which you'll find on the Immi link). Citizenship would be a few years away though, worry about getting permanent residence first!
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Drew Peacock is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Yeah I think I got my wires crossed, permanent residency is what I would be after, don't know what the difference is with citizenship?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Permanent residency can expire if you are gone for too long, citizenship lasts forever.