British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Email is hacked !!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/email-hacked-575998/)

bahaa.mourad Nov 30th 2008 1:25 pm

Email is hacked !!!!

Hi all ,

i have a question here plz, i came up today and found my email had sent spam ads email to all my contact list ( including the email of processing time and the email of attaching document to DIAC ) through hacking or virus whatever i dont know.

so 1st what can i do cause the reply of processing center saying (spam detected) in the subject and written somewhere NOT to send enquiries to that email only blank one and if you do so u should verify ur email to DIAC.

2nd do i have to change the email and inform DIAC or it is just hacked temporary and that's all. If so how can i inform by changing the email address ?

Thanks in advance

vlooi Nov 30th 2008 2:05 pm

Re: Email is hacked !!!!

This sounds potentially serious...:eek: With regards to DIAC, what about phoning them to ensure they have your correct email address, especially at this critical stage of your processing. Good luck!:thumbup:

caliburn Nov 30th 2008 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by bahaa.mourad (Post 7023114)
Hi all ,

i have a question here plz, i came up today and found my email had sent spam ads email to all my contact list ( including the email of processing time and the email of attaching document to DIAC ) through hacking or virus whatever i dont know.

so 1st what can i do cause the reply of processing center saying (spam detected) in the subject and written somewhere NOT to send enquiries to that email only blank one and if you do so u should verify ur email to DIAC.

2nd do i have to change the email and inform DIAC or it is just hacked temporary and that's all. If so how can i inform by changing the email address ?

Thanks in advance

Which email (gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc.) you were using, by the way?

peaceboy Nov 30th 2008 2:41 pm

Hi,

call DIAC and inform them about this incident.. and keep them informed.

after that run a malware scan and remove the malware which is in effect at the moment.

furthermore...no need of changing the email address..once cleared..keep the DIAC updated.

Cheers,
Peaceboy.

:thumbup::thumbup:

DownUnderPaddy Nov 30th 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by bahaa.mourad (Post 7023114)
Hi all ,

The symptoms you are describing are almost certainly as a result of a worm infection on your computer. i.e. emailing of documents located on your computer randomly to addresses pulled automatically from your contact list.

Up to date anti virus software should prevent this from occurring.
What antivirus program are you running ? What version is it ? What is the date of the virus definition file you are using ?
Until you locate and remove the worm, this will continue to happen on your machine...

bahaa.mourad Nov 30th 2008 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy (Post 7023223)
The symptoms you are describing are almost certainly as a result of a worm infection on your computer. i.e. emailing of documents located on your computer randomly to addresses pulled automatically from your contact list.

Up to date anti virus software should prevent this from occurring.
What antivirus program are you running ? What version is it ? What is the date of the virus definition file you are using ?
Until you locate and remove the worm, this will continue to happen on your machine...

Thanks for the replies , im really panic about what happened and im using kaspersky antivirus purchased 6/2008 valid 1 year and its update is today 30-11-2008 its version is 7.0.0

about the email it is hotmail by the way
i found similar situation in that link http://gillmoorephotography.wordpres...pening-to-you/

i dont know what to do ? is it to change email and inform DIAC by that or just scan (which i did) and send them to check the email is the same after sending to the aspc.processing email whcih clain not to send ecept blank email so i recieved the regular processing date with a head subject ( spam detected)
which i dont know to do...

thanks all

Malikkhi Nov 30th 2008 9:56 pm

Well guyz in the automatic notification DIAC asked to send the blank, when i sent the blank mail , lolz in the subject line i got "Re: [Spam Detected]" :) ....i am using gmail. So it cause any problem?

DownUnderPaddy Dec 1st 2008 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Malikkhi (Post 7024186)
Well guyz in the automatic notification DIAC asked to send the blank, when i sent the blank mail , lolz in the subject line i got "Re: [Spam Detected]" :) ....i am using gmail. So it cause any problem?

That is not a problem specific to the sending mail client.

Most corporate antispam filters will give any emails received with blank subject or body text a high spam value and as a result its overall spam rating will most likely cause it to get classified as spam overall.

I would never send an email with an empty subject line or body txt , on the assumption that it would never get through to the receiving system due to being tagged as spam.

Are you sure the DIAC email did not mean send a blank email but with the reference on the subject line or something to that effect ?

ex_exile Dec 1st 2008 2:35 am

Originally Posted by peaceboy (Post 7023195)
Hi,

call DIAC and inform them about this incident.. and keep them informed.

after that run a malware scan and remove the malware which is in effect at the moment.

furthermore...no need of changing the email address..once cleared..keep the DIAC updated.

Cheers,
Peaceboy.

:thumbup::thumbup:

No, disconnect from internet and run a malware scan first rather than fannying around contacting DIAC to tell them about your still infected machine..Once your machine test malware free (from a couple of different scanners) change all passwords. Monitor all bank transactions for couple of months if you use internet banking.

It may be safer to rebuild your computer.

bahaa.mourad Dec 1st 2008 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile (Post 7024708)
No, disconnect from internet and run a malware scan first rather than fannying around contacting DIAC to tell them about your still infected machine..Once your machine test malware free (from a couple of different scanners) change all passwords. Monitor all bank transactions for couple of months if you use internet banking.

It may be safer to rebuild your computer.

Thanks alot thats what i do i wont send DIAC except checking and verify my email address, thanks for advice of banking,its useful