Eligibility for M.Phil/Ph.D Fee Exemption!

Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

f4fred is on a distinguished road
Default Eligibility for M.Phil/Ph.D Fee Exemption!

Hi BE Mates!

Hope all is good at your end. A quick question.

I have been offered admission in M.Phil leading to Ph.D in University of Queensland. The university says that Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents have exemption from paying fee for the M.Phil and Ph.D programs as Government has created a pool of funds for that fee and pays it on the behalf of the candidate.

My question is that, "I have not completed two years residency yet, am I eligible for that fee exemption?

Please answer if you have any knowledge on this or suggest any resources on this topic for which I shall be thankful.

Regards,
Fred.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligibility for M.Phil/Ph.D Fee Exemption!

Hi Fred,

I have moved this to the Immi forum for you.

Hope you get some answers soon.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 10:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by f4fred
Hi BE Mates!

Hope all is good at your end. A quick question.

I have been offered admission in M.Phil leading to Ph.D in University of Queensland. The university says that Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents have exemption from paying fee for the M.Phil and Ph.D programs as Government has created a pool of funds for that fee and pays it on the behalf of the candidate.

My question is that, "I have not completed two years residency yet, am I eligible for that fee exemption?

Please answer if you have any knowledge on this or suggest any resources on this topic for which I shall be thankful.

Regards,
Fred.
Have you asked the University?
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:28 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

It's a Commonwealth supported place and if you are a Permanent Resident (even if you arrived on a PR visa last week) then you are eligible - you do not need 2 years residency.

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/stud...pported-places

You need to check if you have to make a student contribution/fee payment of any amount - it is unusual to be offered a PhD without an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) or similar (Scholarship through the Faculty/Uni).

Ask the school/Faculty directly and clearly - 'how much will the MPhil cost me?' 'How much will it cost me if I upgrade to a PhD?'.

They should answer these questions before you enrol.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help guys.

I was referring to the statement available on the UQ website:

Master of Philosophy - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia

under the heading "Fees for Australian students"

please have a look and comment.

Regards,
Fred, F.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help guys.

I was referring to the statement available on the UQ website:

Master of Philosophy - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia

under the heading "Fees for Australian students"

please have a look and comment.

Regards,
Fred, F.
Read the post above.
Then contact the university and confirm your specific situation with them directly.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 1:24 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

The course fees may be supported but there is usually a 'student contribution amount' over and above the fees - you need to ask your supervisor/school how much this is.

It is likely to be hundreds rather than thousands but you need to be aware before you begin as many payments need to be made upfront.

Good luck.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
The course fees may be supported but there is usually a 'student contribution amount' over and above the fees - you need to ask your supervisor/school how much this is.

It is likely to be hundreds rather than thousands but you need to be aware before you begin as many payments need to be made upfront.

Good luck.
I clearly asked the university and they responded that I wont have to pay any fee for M.Phil as a permanent resident. All they mentioned was living costs etc.

Now the question they were not able to answer was if the 104 weeks wait period is in place for getting the fee exemption. Does anybody know about this?

Regards,
Fred, F.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:08 pm
Home and Happy

I clearly asked the university and they responded that I wont have to pay any fee for M.Phil as a permanent resident. All they mentioned was living costs etc.

Now the question they were not able to answer was if the 104 weeks wait period is in place for getting the fee exemption. Does anybody know about this?

Regards,
Fred, F.
With all due respect, they are the ones that will be waiving the fee if applicable so they shuld be askng the question of whoever controls that 'pool of funds' which pays for the fees for PR holders! They need to find out whether they shpuld be charging you or not!
Old Jul 4th 2015, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
With all due respect, they are the ones that will be waiving the fee if applicable so they shuld be askng the question of whoever controls that 'pool of funds' which pays for the fees for PR holders! They need to find out whether they shpuld be charging you or not!
True. They should be aware of who is exempted and who is not. I will try to probe with them further.

Regards,
Fred, F.