Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Electrician (special class) Skills Assessment Help!!!

Electrician (special class) Skills Assessment Help!!!

Old Apr 14th 2013, 11:15 am
Just Joined

thesickness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician (special class) Skills Assessment Help!!!

Hi all,

I thought some elecs might be able to assist me. I can't find much information on the skills assessment process for electrician (special class).

I am applying to vetassess. I have done an apprenticeship etc and work on industrial printing machines. I have never done any sort of domestic wiring i.e. lighting etc.

I am confident I have the correct supporting evidence to be classed as (special class). But I am concerned whether I will get a technical interview or have to do a practical assessment.

I am under the impression that the practical assessment is for general electricians. Meaning that the bulk will be constructing a domestic circuit and testing. And I have never done this and will never do this and will surely fail.

Does anybody have any insight into the special class process?

Many thanks.

Ash.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

jam.skinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Electrician (special class) Skills Assessment Help!!!

Hi Ash,

I would imagine an assessment of your skills/knowledge will be made on your special area, but also on what you were taught at college, ie electrical theory.

What does your electrical qualifications say you are? Mine say electrical installation engineering on the C&G and electrical installation on NVQ3.

Pretty much if your qualifications are the same as mine I would find out what is in the assessment and get practicing, because those qualifications will mean you should be able to do the assessment.

A phone call/email to vettassess would be a good start.

Jamie
Old Apr 14th 2013, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

thesickness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jam.skinner
Hi Ash,

I would imagine an assessment of your skills/knowledge will be made on your special area, but also on what you were taught at college, ie electrical theory.

What does your electrical qualifications say you are? Mine say electrical installation engineering on the C&G and electrical installation on NVQ3.

Pretty much if your qualifications are the same as mine I would find out what is in the assessment and get practicing, because those qualifications will mean you should be able to do the assessment.

A phone call/email to vettassess would be a good start.

Jamie
I've come from a more engineering background. But I'm not classed as an engineer as I don't have a degree. The special class description most suits what I do. Just unsure if the domestic practical would be a fair assessment.

Ive got:
4 Year electrical engineering apprenticeship
BTEC L3 Electrical/Electronic Engineering
NVQ2 in Performing Engineering Operations

And work as a service electrician for an industrial printing machine manufacturer.

I work with low voltage and extra low voltage stuff...pumps, dc/ac motors, 24V control systems, frequency converters, and automation etc.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 9:35 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesickness
I've come from a more engineering background. But I'm not classed as an engineer as I don't have a degree. The special class description most suits what I do. Just unsure if the domestic practical would be a fair assessment.

Ive got:
4 Year electrical engineering apprenticeship
BTEC L3 Electrical/Electronic Engineering
NVQ2 in Performing Engineering Operations

And work as a service electrician for an industrial printing machine manufacturer.

I work with low voltage and extra low voltage stuff...pumps, dc/ac motors, 24V control systems, frequency converters, and automation etc.
I think the assessment is now the same. Electrical work is licensed trade.
Old May 8th 2013, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

ms07oka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ash,

I'm the same as you a maintenance spark. Years ago I got assessed by TRA as a special class electrician.

However for migration purposes I had to take the vetassess route. Haven't heard of anyone doing the technical interview. Sat my practical in London.

The practical consisted of wiring a CU with 2 way lighting, radial socket outlet and earthing bar. Also had to do both clipped direct and plastic conduit (placing sets).

You were then pulled out of your bays one by one and done a safe isolation process on a tube heater. This is the most important one, fail this you fail it all.

Then had to wire a direct on line circuit with plug in connectors also wiring star/delta ( which ever the instructor asks for). He will then put a fault on it for you to rectify.

One you get back to finishing off your installation you then have to test it, record your readings and confirm if ok.

You go into a classroom after that once finished to do a theory side to it. 20 questions and also a risk assessment.

Sounds daunting but prep well and you'll be fine
Old May 10th 2013, 4:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thesickness
Hi all,

I thought some elecs might be able to assist me. I can't find much information on the skills assessment process for electrician (special class).

I am applying to vetassess. I have done an apprenticeship etc and work on industrial printing machines. I have never done any sort of domestic wiring i.e. lighting etc.

I am confident I have the correct supporting evidence to be classed as (special class). But I am concerned whether I will get a technical interview or have to do a practical assessment.

I am under the impression that the practical assessment is for general electricians. Meaning that the bulk will be constructing a domestic circuit and testing. And I have never done this and will never do this and will surely fail.

Does anybody have any insight into the special class process?

Many thanks.

Ash.
possibly get more info here mate,
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97