Dual citizenships for Germans

Old Jan 29th 2001, 12:08 pm
John Smith

Guys,

I migrated three years ago to Australia from Germany (permanent resident). My new job
requires me to travel quite a bit and customs/immigration always give me the shit upon
returning to Oz. They seem to target Germans travelling as a single and I have to unpack
my stuff all times. It is starting to piss me off and I was wondering if any of you know
about having two passports as a german. I'd like to take on the Australian Citzenship but
I am not prepared to give up the EU passport for this. Recently, the germans did some
changes to legislation but I don't know the full extend. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Old Jan 29th 2001, 4:52 pm
Kevon Alyeen

Hello "John",

My girl friend is a German and we went to the German Passport office recently to find out
about German policy on dual citizenship. Apparently you can have dual citizenship if you
were born with it (or perhaps acquire it before the age of 18). But as an adult if you
actively seek an alternative citizenship, you end up losing your German citizenship.
However, if you acquire citizenship of another country (say through marriage) without
actively seeking it by yourself, you can retain your German citizenship. I dont know if
the German goverment makes any special consideration if you suffer any form of hardship,
as you do travelling back and forth from Australia.

My girlfriend and I would be very much interested to find out if there are any ways
for her to retain her German citizenship, so if anyone knows anything else please let
us know...

/Kevon

> Guys,
>
> I migrated three years ago to Australia from Germany (permanent
resident).
> My new job requires me to travel quite a bit and customs/immigration
always
> give me the shit upon returning to Oz. They seem to target Germans travelling as a
> single and I have to unpack my stuff all times. It is starting to piss me off and I was
> wondering if any of you know about
having
> two passports as a german. I'd like to take on the Australian Citzenship
but
> I am not prepared to give up the EU passport for this. Recently, the
germans
> did some changes to legislation but I don't know the full extend. Any help appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Old Jan 29th 2001, 5:09 pm
Kevon Alyeen

Hello "John",

My girl friend is a German and we went to the German Passport office recently to find out
about German policy on dual citizenship. Apparently you can have dual citizenship if you
were born with it (or perhaps acquire it before the age of 18). But as an adult if you
actively seek an alternative citizenship, you end up losing your German citizenship.
However, if you acquire citizenship of another country (say through marriage) without
actively seeking it by yourself, you can retain your German citizenship. I don't know if
the German government makes any special consideration if you suffer any form of hardship,
as you do traveling back and forth from Australia.

My girlfriend and I would be very much interested to find out if there are any ways
for her to retain her German citizenship, so if anyone knows anything else please let
us know...

/Kevon

> Guys,
>
> I migrated three years ago to Australia from Germany (permanent
resident).
> My new job requires me to travel quite a bit and customs/immigration
always
> give me the shit upon returning to Oz. They seem to target Germans travelling as a
> single and I have to unpack my stuff all times. It is starting to piss me off and I was
> wondering if any of you know about
having
> two passports as a german. I'd like to take on the Australian Citzenship
but
> I am not prepared to give up the EU passport for this. Recently, the
germans
> did some changes to legislation but I don't know the full extend. Any help appreciated.
>
> Cheers

Old Jan 29th 2001, 5:13 pm
JAJ

The following page might be of help. It's from the website of the German Embassy in
Israel: http://www.germanemb.org.il/consular/homcit.htm

extracts:

"Please be aware that German citizenship is automatically lost by acquisition of a foreign
citizenship upon application"

but also:

"In exceptional cases German citizenship may be retained in the case of acquisition of a
foreign citizenship. This requires an application (Antrag auf "Beibehaltungsgenehmigung")
prior to the acquisition of the foreign citizenship substantiating the special,
considerable, individual interest of the applicant in keeping German citizenship."

Hope this helps.

What I'm wondering about is how someone with the name 'John Smith' has managed to acquire
German citizenship in the first place

Jeremy

>Guys,
>
>I migrated three years ago to Australia from Germany (permanent resident). My new job
>requires me to travel quite a bit and customs/immigration always give me the shit upon
>returning to Oz. They seem to target Germans travelling as a single and I have to unpack
>my stuff all times. It is starting to piss me off and I was wondering if any of you know
>about having two passports as a german. I'd like to take on the Australian Citzenship but
>I am not prepared to give up the EU passport for this. Recently, the germans did some
>changes to legislation but I don't know the full extend. Any help appreciated.
>
>Cheers

Old Jan 29th 2001, 5:52 pm
Kevon Alyeen

Hi Jeremy,

> What I'm wondering about is how someone with the name 'John Smith' has managed to
> acquire German citizenship in the first place

I believe it was a change of name for "professional reasons" to fit into Australian
society (or just this newsgroup.) It wouldn't be the first time that's happened .. but
who am I to speculate on John's intentions...

/Kevon

PS: Anyone can acquire German citizenship if they have resided in Germany for a period of
8 years. The German immigrations laws (and almost all other European countries for
that matter) are slightly different then most immigrant countries such as the United
States, Australia, etc, where foreigners are distinguished as landed immigrants or
just seeking temporary residence.

Old Jan 29th 2001, 10:13 pm
JAJ

"In exceptional cases German citizenship may be retained in the case
>of acquisition of a foreign citizenship. This requires an application (Antrag auf
>"Beibehaltungsgenehmigung") prior to the acquisition of the foreign citizenship
>substantiating the special, considerable, individual interest of the applicant in keeping
>German citizenship."
>

Not strictly on topic, but this page gives more information (in German):
http://www.german-embassy.org.uk/erw...schen_sta.html

Jeremy