Wikiposts

driving license

Old Oct 29th 2001, 3:57 am
rob
Just Joined

rob is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been told that you can drive on a english license for 3 months in australia.What Happens after the three months is up.
Is it posssible to use an international driving license in australia for 1 year if i have been there before and had used one.Also if i can do this,can i go back to the uk and keep renewing.Also if i drive on an international driving license can i obtain an australian license by taking some test

many thanks rob
Old Oct 29th 2001, 4:22 am
Graham Wood

once you migrate you have 3 months in with to take your test. If your in WA you only
need to do the multiple choice part, and will be issued a license. All other states
also require you to do the practical driving test as well.

rob wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 29th 2001, 9:10 am
Stefan Vom Bruch

Hi!

When you are in Australia on a temporary or tourist visa you can use your British
license (or international license) for as long as you are there - it does not matter
how long. If you go to Australia as a permanent resident you can only use your
license for three months. After that it is illegal to drive without an Australian
license. In order to get an Australian license you will have to do the driving test -
only the road knowledge test in WA. As far as I know (from friends who became
permanente residents last month) the laws have been changed in Victoria recently and
you will only have to do the road knowledge test there but in all other states you
will have to do the drinving test as well. Hope this helps. Cheers Stefan

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:22:39 +0000, Graham Wood <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>> i have been told that you can drive on a english license for 3 months in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> australia.What Happens after the three months is up. Is it posssible to use an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> international driving license in australia for 1 year if i have been there before[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> and had used one.Also if i can do this,can i go back to the uk and keep[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> renewing.Also if i drive on an international driving license can i obtain an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> australian license by taking some test[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> many thanks rob[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> --[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 29th 2001, 7:55 pm
Jamie Corr

Incidentally, even people on temporary visas need to get a local driving licence
after 3 months in the ACT. That involves a theory and a driving test, or
alternatively doing competency based training whereby the driving instructor signs
you off bit by bit until your licence is granted. I did it this way, and it took
about two weeks of lessons. If you're British, you have no chance of passing an ACT
test straight off - the 'correct' way of driving is totally different.

Regards

Jamie

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> >once you migrate you have 3 months in with to take your test. If your in[/usenetquote2]
WA
[usenetquote2]> >you only need to do the multiple choice part, and will be issued a[/usenetquote2]
license.
[usenetquote2]> >All other states also require you to do the practical driving test as[/usenetquote2]
well.
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >rob wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> i have been told that you can drive on a english license for 3 months[/usenetquote2]
in
[usenetquote2]> >> australia.What Happens after the three months is up. Is it posssible to use an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> international driving license in australia for 1 year if i have been there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> before and had used one.Also if i can do this,can i go back to the uk and keep[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> renewing.Also if i drive on an international driving license can i obtain an[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> australian license by taking some test[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> many thanks rob[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >> --[/usenetquote2]

Old Oct 29th 2001, 8:06 pm
Dgm

>
    >
    >
    >

are you sure - I've just checked the vicroads website (www.vicroads.vic.gov.au) and
it still says that if you're a permanent you have to both do the knowledge test and
the driving test

dgm

Old Nov 1st 2001, 5:26 pm
Andrew

In QLD you need to take both a written and practical test within 3 months. You are
able to keep you're overseas licence intact.

Andrew

[email protected] (JAJ)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
[usenetquote2]> >depending which state you're settling in, some will let you have a aussie licence[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >if you can prove that you've had one in the past and have exchanged it for a UK[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >one - victoria for example.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >best thing probably would be to have a xerox of the old one and the web page from[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >the dvla that explains that if you have converted from an aussie licence there[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >will be the letters AUS on your UK licence[/usenetquote2]

Old Nov 7th 2001, 1:15 am
Fatal Slipper

Which is harder, the Australian or the UK test? I don't have either !