Drawing out PR process

Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice
Default Drawing out PR process

For various reasons we don't want to move to OZ straight away but due to age factors we need to start applying now, otherwise our points score will be too low.

So with that in mind:

1) When we first submit our application is there a time limit on how long it takes to complete it? (I'm assuming here that you do medicals after submission?)

2) Once your visa is granted is there a time limit to activate it?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

WithIce x
Old Mar 27th 2008, 4:51 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drawing out PR process

Originally Posted by WithIce
For various reasons we don't want to move to OZ straight away but due to age factors we need to start applying now, otherwise our points score will be too low.

So with that in mind:

1) When we first submit our application is there a time limit on how long it takes to complete it? (I'm assuming here that you do medicals after submission?)

2) Once your visa is granted is there a time limit to activate it?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

WithIce x
Application time limit : No, but once your application is in then the case officer dictates what information is needed further and the time scale you should provide that information in. If you dont provide it by that date then they may decide your application purely on the basis of what they have. ie you may not be eligible.

Visa activation : You are required to enter australia within 12 months from the date of visa grant, or 12 months from the date of your medicals and PCC, whichever is the earlier.

This may be a holiday of course and then you are PR's. Currently the visa is valid for 5 years and you could potentially take that long to move. There are other implications such as needing resident return visas should you wish to leave the country if your visa has expired etc but you have not yet made application for citizenship.

But of course, regulations and the law changes. Maybe the best course would be to consult an agent as to the best strategy for your circumstances.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Thanks Centurion, thats a really helpful reply!

I think just knowing we have a year to enter OZ once we've submitted all our info will be enough. We're looking to draw it out to about 2 years, so I think once we've submitted everything it won't be far off that. Especially as we can do a holiday to activate it (we're in NZ so not as big a deal for us as it is for others!)

We'll also keep in mind any minimum stay requirements for RRVs and citizenship.

Thanks

WithIce x
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Our PR (applied in mid 2005 for a 136) took ~14 months from submitting the application to getting the letter. We were in the same position as you (age factors but not wanting to go straight away).

At each stage you get a certain number of days to provide the requested information (e.g. meds, police checks - we obviously did not front load these - and bond) and we took our time in sending back the information (but always meeting the required deadline) to extend the process as much as possible. Activities/time taken between each stage as follows:

Sent off application; 11 days later
Acknowledgment Received; 7 months, 21 days later
Police and Medicals Requested; 1 month 10 days later
Police and Medicals Sent; 3 months, 3 days later
Bond Requested; 1 month, 3 days later
Bond Sent; 15 days later
Grant letter received;
Sent passports off for visa; given six months for 'initial' entry

Hope that helps, but I guess it also really depends on how busy the immigration folks are at a particular time. Also our application was assessed by the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre, other visa types might well be assessed at other centres that have with different processing times.

Might be worth checking out this site for information on how long it's taken people to get the sort of visa (i.e. application type) you're applying for.

Good luck

Last edited by Hills Boy; Mar 28th 2008 at 12:42 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:40 pm

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

once you have validated within the 12 months of visa grant/pc checks and meds, you have 5 years to settle permenatly.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 5:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
once you have validated within the 12 months of visa grant/pc checks and meds, you have 5 years to settle permenatly.
The 5 year clock starts ticking from date of grant, not validation.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hills Boy
Our PR (applied in mid 2005 for a 136) took ~14 months from submitting the application to getting the letter. We were in the same position as you (age factors but not wanting to go straight away).

At each stage you get a certain number of days to provide the requested information (e.g. meds, police checks - we obviously did not front load these - and bond) and we took our time in sending back the information (but always meeting the required deadline) to extend the process as much as possible. Activities/time taken between each stage as follows:

Sent off application; 11 days later
Acknowledgment Received; 7 months, 21 days later
Police and Medicals Requested; 1 month 10 days later
Police and Medicals Sent; 3 months, 3 days later
Bond Requested; 1 month, 3 days later
Bond Sent; 15 days later
Grant letter received;
Sent passports off for visa; given six months for 'initial' entry

Hope that helps, but I guess it also really depends on how busy the immigration folks are at a particular time. Also our application was assessed by the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre, other visa types might well be assessed at other centres that have with different processing times.

Might be worth checking out this site for information on how long it's taken people to get the sort of visa (i.e. application type) you're applying for.

Good luck
Thanks Hills Boy, thats exactly the kind of info we were looking for - Fantastic!

WithIce x
Old Mar 29th 2008, 10:49 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The 5 year clock starts ticking from date of grant, not validation.
OK. We assumed it was date of validation. thanks for setting things straight.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Thanks Hills Boy

WithIce x
No problem. Just found some old emails/letters from by CO at DIMA (as was then).

Police and Meds - The request from our CO for these gave us 70 days to provide the information.

Capital investment bond (irrelevant now I guess, but for completeness) - From request from our CO we were given 49 days to lodge the funds.

One thing to note is that the 'days to respond' begin from the time the CO sends the information to you not when you receive the letter - not a big issue these days as I guess most people are in contact with their CO by email rather than regular post, but it's something to be aware of. They also note in their letters:

... of the Migration Act states if an applicant for a visa is invited to give additional information or to comment on information, and does not give the information or comment before the time for giving it has passed, the Minister (or a delegate of the Minister) may make a decision to grant or refuse to grant the visa without taking any action to obtain the additional information.

So we made sure that our response arrived in good time, but not too soon. As I said earlier we were on a 136 and all this was a few years ago, timing/regulations may or may not be the same now.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Hills Boy, I think the timings for the meds and police info will probably allow us to draw things out a bit, although TBH it will probably take us that long to get it all sorted anyway!

WithIce x