Domestic pets in AU

Old Jan 23rd 2001, 9:11 pm
il Fiume

Hello, we are planning to move to Sydney next April, starting from Italy. I'll work there
for many months. We have two domestic cats: could somebody help me regarding quarantine
and other rules?? In which way could we transport (in a safe way) our little friends from
Italy to Sydney??

Thank you for your help.

Mick

Old Jan 24th 2001, 12:10 am
Zoltan BERTOK

Hello,
> we are planning to move to Sydney next April, starting from Italy. I'll work there for
> many months. We have two domestic cats: could somebody help me regarding quarantine

A guide to importing dogs and cats into Australia
http://www.aqis.gov.au/docs/anpolicy/dogcat.htm

There are different rules for different regions. Great Britain and Italy probably differ
in this matter.

--
Zoltan BERTOK Migration Agent 78607 Sydney (02) 9825 1404 e-mail: zoltanATbertok.com
(replace AT with @)

Old Feb 10th 2001, 10:23 pm
chioli

Hello, I migrated from the United States to Australia a year ago with my Pug dog. It was
an extremely tiring and expensive experience. I don't know of any carriers from Italy but
I can tell you to be careful with them. There are a lot of things that you can do on your
own if you just follow the checklist that quarantine provides for you. You have to do
everything way ahead of time and plan very carefully. With us the problem was that the USA
has rabies and they don't over here. We planned way ahead of time (1 year) to make sure my
dog had all the necessary tests and vaccines as they require which are a lot. That way she
was only required to stay the minimum (30 days) in quarantine. The whole process for me
came to about US$4,000. The largest amount given to a pet carrier that robbed us, we payed
him about US$2500 just for transportation. It was horrible, we had to remind him all of
the time about things and he was very careless. Be careful with the companies. We paid
AU$700 for the 30 days Chelsea had to be quarantined in Perth. Once my dog got here the
people at the quarantine were extremely nice, they allowed us to visit Chelsea everyday
except on the weekends because it was closed. As a dog owner who adores her dog as if it
was a child it was very painful emotionally for the dog and for us. The first day was very
sad to see her there, it looks like a prison. However, the staff treat them with lots of
love and they even become attached to them. That relaxed me a lot because I knew that she
was being treated right. My best advice is to plan ahead, have money available, research
the pet carriers, be prepared for very stressful moments and at the end it will all be
worth it. If I can be of any further assistance, don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!!

Old Mar 6th 2001, 10:53 am
Pax

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Was it Air Animal by chance? They were horrible. Shots were late, I was greatly
overcharged, and I should've done it myself!

Also, was your dog in the Melbourne AQIS Kennel? They were fantastic. I never got a single
bad "vibe" from any of the people there. That made the process much easier.

Glenn C Sering

Old Mar 16th 2001, 10:20 pm
Karl Johnson

Agree re AQIS in Melbourne- it was a much better than we ever expected

Jean

>
[usenetquote2]> > Hello, I migrated from the United States to Australia a year ago with my Pug dog.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > It was an extremely tiring and expensive experience. I don't know of any carriers[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > from Italy but I can tell you to be careful with them. There are a lot of things[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > that you can do on your own if you just follow the checklist that quarantine[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > provides for you. You have to do everything way ahead of time and plan very[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > carefully. With us the problem was that the USA has rabies and they don't over[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > here. We planned way ahead of time (1 year) to make sure my dog had all the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > necessary tests and vaccines as they require which are a lot. That way she was[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > only required to stay the minimum (30 days) in quarantine. The whole process for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > me came to about US$4,000. The largest amount given to a pet carrier that robbed[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > us, we payed him about US$2500 just for transportation.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >