Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

does a travel visa effect my residency application

Wikiposts

does a travel visa effect my residency application

Old Jan 20th 2004, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default does a travel visa effect my residency application

hello!

I am just wondering if taking a travel visa effects my skilled independant visa. I applied in October, but have decided to go over earlier as my Australian g/f moved back home in Sept due to a family illness.

I intend to take the travel visa in May timeframe and return home when the visa is approved and back again. I will be on a sabatical from my work, and still employed by them.

I am also wondering how things like medicals/police checks etc work if i am already in oz.

Finally, a stupid question, I am looking at taking some stuff over from the UK, Can I assume my TV will work over there as its the same format.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: does a travel visa effect my residency application

I should clarify its a 1yr young persons travel visa i am getting, not a 3 month holiday visa.

Originally posted by CornishPasty
hello!

I am just wondering if taking a travel visa effects my skilled independant visa. I applied in October, but have decided to go over earlier as my Australian g/f moved back home in Sept due to a family illness.

I intend to take the travel visa in May timeframe and return home when the visa is approved and back again. I will be on a sabatical from my work, and still employed by them.

I am also wondering how things like medicals/police checks etc work if i am already in oz.

Finally, a stupid question, I am looking at taking some stuff over from the UK, Can I assume my TV will work over there as its the same format.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:26 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

I should clarify its a 1yr young persons travel visa i am getting, not a 3 month holiday visa.
Do you mean that you have a working holiday visa, and not an ETA?

Peter
Old Jan 20th 2004, 11:30 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

hello!

Can your Aussie gf not sponsor you as a De facto partner? Cheaper and quicker if she can.

Not all UK Tvs pick up the sound signal on Australian broadcasts.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, yes, its a 1 yr young persons working holiday visa. I am in the middle of applying for full residency under the skilled independant which I passed the points and its now going through immigration as of the beginning of October.

I did initially enquire about residency, the problem was we only actually lived together for 10 months although we have been dating 3yrs so i was told I couldnt unless we had been for 12 months. Anyway, I am all paid up and being processed now.

My worry was if they deemed by circumstances have changed or something. Technically I am still employed if I take a sabatical I am thinking.

Thanks.

Pete

Originally posted by bondipom
Can your Aussie gf not sponsor you as a De facto partner? Cheaper and quicker if she can.

Not all UK Tvs pick up the sound signal on Australian broadcasts.
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

I did initially enquire about residency, the problem was we only actually lived together for 10 months although we have been dating 3yrs so i was told I couldnt unless we had been for 12 months. Anyway, I am all paid up and being processed now.

Pete
Hey pete, i didn't live with my husband at all before and even after we married as he was in the army and it hasn't been a problem with my residency visa which i am applying for in australia currently.

I came over on a 3 month eta and then started applying for my residency. Could you not do the same and apply for de facto spouse visa? Then that means you wouldn't have to leave come back etc. Although I suppose as you say your all paid up for the other one now anyway!
Old Jan 21st 2004, 5:52 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

My worry was if they deemed by circumstances have changed or something. Technically I am still employed if I take a sabatical I am thinking.
Pete,

For the purposes of compliance with the basic requirements' recent work experience as well as computation of points associated with the specific work experience criterion, DIMIA will only look at your work experience up to the date your application was lodged (i.e. received by DIMIA).

What happens to your employment status after your application was received by DIMIA will not affect your application.

Peter
Old Jan 21st 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for your replies guys and gals, thats put my mind at rest.

i will stick to this visa type as i think its a better visa to have and I also like the fact its independant of others, just in case in life. And i've pai.

Great, i am giving my notice in today for my sabatical....roll on April the 5th!!! :-)

Originally posted by ptlabs
Pete,

For the purposes of compliance with the basic requirements' recent work experience as well as computation of points associated with the specific work experience criterion, DIMIA will only look at your work experience up to the date your application was lodged (i.e. received by DIMIA).

What happens to your employment status after your application was received by DIMIA will not affect your application.

Peter