British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Does a tourist visa application cancel 189 visa app (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/does-tourist-visa-application-cancel-189-visa-app-901095/)

arkon Aug 3rd 2017 1:09 am

Does a tourist visa application cancel 189 visa app

It's been a while since I've been on the forum so hello to everyone.

I have a question. I have a friend who is applying for a 189 skilled independent visa to Australia from the Phillipines, we are told this will take 8 months+

What we can't seem to find out from anywhere or get a straight answer on is whether my friend can visit Australia in the intervening 8 months on a visitors visa.

Does the application for a visitors visa cancel the 189 application or not?

Anyone know?

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2017 1:16 am

Re: Does a tourist visa application cancel 189 visa app

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 12308110)
It's been a while since I've been on the forum so hello to everyone.

I have a question. I have a friend who is applying for a 189 skilled independent visa to Australia from the Phillipines, we are told this will take 8 months+

What we can't seem to find out from anywhere or get a straight answer on is whether my friend can visit Australia in the intervening 8 months on a visitors visa.

Does the application for a visitors visa cancel the 189 application or not?

Anyone know?

Perfectly ok to visit Australia during processing.

The application itself won't cancel the 189. However, if he/she applies for both visas, then the one granted second will supercede the first one.
That's fine if the tourist visa is granted first, when the 189 is granted it will replace the tourist one. However - and this could be the case in a high risk country - if the tourist visa takes ages for grant and the 189 is granted FIRST, your friend needs to cancel the tourist visa application fast.

Nice to see you back by the way - how's life treating you? :)

arkon Aug 3rd 2017 1:33 am

Thanks Pollyana. I'll pass on the answer.

All good with me here in Australia. Still wish I could go home but hey ho, stuck here now. My boy is now 12 so getting closer by the year to when I might be free to return! I see you now have 90k posts! Well done, you seem to have had way more patience than me on the forum!
I do kind of miss all the arguments I used to cause with the rose tinted glasses brigade.

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2017 2:06 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 12308120)

All good with me here in Australia. Still wish I could go home but hey ho, stuck here now. My boy is now 12 so getting closer by the year to when I might be free to return! I see you now have 90k posts! Well done, you seem to have had way more patience than me on the forum!
I do kind of miss all the arguments I used to cause with the rose tinted glasses brigade.

We all have our ways of dealing with the country.......mine has been by posting drivel on here! :lol::sneaky:

Swerv-o Aug 3rd 2017 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 12308120)

Those days are long since gone - most threads seem to devolve into a Left vs Right shouting match these days. It's not the place it used to be I'm afraid.

S

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2017 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 12308953)
Those days are long since gone - most threads seem to devolve into a Left vs Right shouting match these days. It's not the place it used to be I'm afraid.

S

Sad, but very true.

arkon Aug 4th 2017 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12308989)
Sad, but very true.

Why do you think it's changed? Are people less rose tinted now?

Dorothy Aug 4th 2017 2:53 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 12309051)
Why do you think it's changed? Are people less rose tinted now?

People have been a) frightened off by the constant descent into left vs right crap and b) taken to places like Facebook to connect with other expats.

Pollyana Aug 4th 2017 4:16 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 12309083)
People have been a) frightened off by the constant descent into left vs right crap and b) taken to places like Facebook to connect with other expats.

In a nutshell. Those of us who resisted facebook have now been driven to use it (and other forums) more because of the left/right crap on here. At present there seems to be a lull but at one time every thread on the first page of the Aus forums had the same theme as they were dragged off-track one by one.