Help! 189 or 489?

Old Aug 4th 2017, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

ozzyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! 189 or 489?

Good day everyone,

I just received my skills assessment and I do have an exact 60 points for my application to PR. But given the current trend on EOI invitation to apply, it seems that points with 70-80 points are given priority. Also, DIBP processing time had changed significantly recently 1st July 2017 the processing of 189 became like 75% of applications processed for about 8 months and 90% 11 months respectively.

With that in mind, I am giving it a second thought applying for 189 so I am trying to do some homework about 489 visas since I can also opt to apply for this because of my two brothers who are a citizen. I just wanted to have some advice to other people who applied for 489 any information on the process? Like how the sponsorship from my relative would go is it just a statement from my brother or do they follow a format? What are pros and cons? Is it better than 189? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by ozzyman; Aug 4th 2017 at 2:44 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 3:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! 189 or 489?

Originally Posted by ozzyman
Good day everyone,

I just received my skills assessment and I do have an exact 60 points for my application to PR. But given the current trend on EOI invitation to apply, it seems that points with 70-80 points are given priority. Also, DIBP processing time had changed significantly recently 1st July 2017 the processing of 189 became like 75% of applications processed for about 8 months and 90% 11 months respectively.

With that in mind, I am giving it a second thought applying for 189 so I am trying to do some homework about 489 visas since I can also opt to apply for this because of my two brothers who are a citizen. I just wanted to have some advice to other people who applied for 489 any information on the process? Like how the sponsorship from my relative would go is it just a statement from my brother or do they follow a format? What are pros and cons? Is it better than 189? Thank you in advance.
In previous years, most occupations receive invites with only 60 points - only those that have been over-subscribed have been subject to pro-rata arrangements where having high points is needed to be invited.

Looking at the current results, so far this year it looks like there have been no 189 invites below 70 points, and there seems to be more groups subject to pro-rata arrangements. With pro-rata occupations, invites are issued to 189 EOI's ahead of 489's.

Info on 489 here - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-

Info on most recent invitation round results here - 26 July 2017 round results (scroll down to see pro-rata occupation results)
Old Aug 5th 2017, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! 189 or 489?

This past round it seems that 70 was the minimum, but earlier in the year, some with 60 in some fields got across.

You are allowed to apply for both 189 and 489 at the same time if you meet criteria. I would do that and hope one of those rocks turns over something.