British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Does Australia have the equivalent of the "British Consular Birth Registration?" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/does-australia-have-equivalent-british-consular-birth-registration-905945/)

astera Nov 17th 2017 9:39 am

Does Australia have the equivalent of the "British Consular Birth Registration?"

For those who are already Australian nationals with kids born elsewhere, is there a similar scheme here to register a child's birth abroad with Australian authorities so that birth certificates would be easier to obtain in the future (or more easily recognised by local institutions)?

moneypenny20 Nov 23rd 2017 1:44 am

Re: Does Australia have the equivalent of the "British Consular Birth Registration?"

Child born overseas to an Australian citizen Is this what you're after?

BritInParis Nov 23rd 2017 7:06 pm

Re: Does Australia have the equivalent of the "British Consular Birth Registration?"

If the child was born overseas after the parents became Australian citizens then applying for Australian citizenship by descent is mandatory in order to become an Australian citizen and should be done as soon as possible. They will be issued with a citizenship certificate but this is not an equivalent of a British-style consular birth certificate.

astera Nov 27th 2017 10:05 am

I was thinking more in terms of the birth certificate so that a local/consular one would then be available (and recognised) in Australia?

Something along the lines of the UK scheme to register births abroad and then being able to order a birth registration certificate from UK authorities (which I understand can be used in lieu of a birth certificate in Britain).

BritInParis Nov 27th 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by astera (Post 12389646)
I was thinking more in terms of the birth certificate so that a local/consular one would then be available (and recognised) in Australia?

Something along the lines of the UK scheme to register births abroad and then being able to order a birth registration certificate from UK authorities (which I understand can be used in lieu of a birth certificate in Britain).

No, there's no direct equivalent, only a CBD certificate.

astera Nov 27th 2017 12:20 pm

Many thanks, was hoping that Australia would have its own register of foreign-based births.

P.S. I already have their citizenship certificates and interestingly enough my kids are not citizens by descent (the hugest of thanks to this forum for that in fact!) even though they were born outside Australia and I have been a citizen my entire life, albeit also foreign-born. It can be done... :)