Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Does 1 year in Aus with Temp 457 visa count towards Citizenship?

Does 1 year in Aus with Temp 457 visa count towards Citizenship?

Old May 18th 2010, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future
Default Does 1 year in Aus with Temp 457 visa count towards Citizenship?

Hi there,

My OH and I were in Australia with a 457 temp visa for one year between 27 July 2008 - 31 July 2009, I was made redundant while in Aus and lost the visa (removed during August 2009 while we were travelling home via Asia).

I now have a permanent 175 visa and need to enter Aus to validate it before March 2011. However I read somewhere that if the visa is not validated within a year of leaving the country after a previous temp visa stay, that the time in Aus previously is erased and does not count toward the 4 year period for citizenship?

Is this true? If so I would rather fly into Aus to validate before the end of July and hold onto the previous year towards citizenship.

Thanks,
Stewart
Old May 18th 2010, 11:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does 1 year in Aus with Temp 457 visa count towards Citizenship?

The time counts but only if it is within a 4 year "window" when you apply for citizenship.
Old May 18th 2010, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

So in other words, unless you move to Australia before the end of July (at which point you will have been out of Australia for a year), no it won't count because it will not then be possible for you to have spent three out of the previous four years there including that time.

For example - say you move to Australia on 27 July 2010. On 23 July 2012 you look back four years and will have spent the following time in Australia:

27 July 2008 - 31 July 2009 (one year + 4 days)
27 July 2010 - 23 July 2012 (two years - 4 days)

Total 3 years. One year absence ignored, so four years for citizenship purposes. You would qualify.

If you did not move until eg 5 August 2010 and come to look at your dates two years later, the time will be:

27 July 2008 - 31 July 2009 (one year + 4 days) BUT 27 July - 5 August 2008 disregarded as being more than four years prior to citizenship application date so only counted as one year - 9 days.
5 August 2010 - 5 August 2012 (two years)

So not enough days. And every day you accrue going forward is matched by one falling out of the calculation in 2008, so you will not qualify until you have been present in the country for 3 years (as 12 months absence is ignored) which would be 5 August 2013 if you didn't leave Australia at all between August 2010 and August 2013.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

moores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant futuremoores2525 has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm assuming as well that I would have to physically move and stay in Aus by the end of July, rather than validate the Perm visa and fly back to the UK. Is that correct?
Old May 20th 2010, 1:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moores2525
Thanks for your replies guys. I'm assuming as well that I would have to physically move and stay in Aus by the end of July, rather than validate the Perm visa and fly back to the UK. Is that correct?
All the information you need is in post #3, from what I can see.

By the way, all family members must "validate" if not moving straight away.