Old Aug 30th 2002, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough
Default Do you remember...........

Just for a minute, forget everything stressful and read
this...............

Close your eyes and go back in time...
Before the Internet or the Apple Mac.
Before semi-automatics, joyriders and crack.... Before SEGA or Super Nintendo... Way back........
I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park.
The corner shop. Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping.
Handstands.
Football with an old can. Fingerbob. Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the menace. Roly Poly. Hula Hoops, jumping the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe bubble gum.
An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune - Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball
Wait..... Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials, The Double Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Zeebedee Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'? - or staying up for Doctor Who.
When around the corner seemed far away and going into town Seemed like going somewhere.
Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee stings. Sticky fingers. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro. Climbing trees. Building igloos out of snow banks. Walking to school, no matter what the weather. Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.
Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
Being tired from playing....remember that?
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. Choppers and Grifters I'm not finished just yet..... Eating raw jelly. Orange squash ice pops.
Remember when...There were two types of trainers - girls and boys, and Dunlop GreenFlash - and the only time you wore them at school was for P.E.
You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends. You didn't
sleep a wink on Christmas eve. When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 25p was decent pocket money
When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny. When nearly everyone's mum was at home when the kids got there.
It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb. When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.
When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.
When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.
Basically, we were in fear for our lives but it wasn't because of
drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc. parents and
Grandparents were a much bigger threat! - and some of us are still afraid of them!!
Didn't that feel good?
Just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that! Remember when....Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog Shit "
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly".
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.
It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123' wasn't an Olympic event.
Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a catapult.
Nobody was prettier than Mum.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better. Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin. Ice cream was considered a basic food group Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.
Old Aug 30th 2002, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Diane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do you remember...........

God yes how true. It's sad to think our kids won't see any of these things as relevant when they grow up. I wonder what their childhood memories will be...

Diane
Old Aug 30th 2002, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember taking hubsta to the Science Museum and spotting a chopper... I was in hysterics,,, such nostalga..... *sigh*

Yvonne

15 days til we leave, 17 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE
Old Aug 30th 2002, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dilbert is an unknown quantity at this point

just as I remember it, brought a tear to my eye

Dilbert
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Do you remember...........

Originally posted by Dilbert:
just as I remember it, brought a tear to my eye

Dilbert
Oh i think that was great we laughed at points and other points i had a lump in my throat and really remembered back it was lovely , well done !! We will always remember those days well , yeah god what will our kids memorys be??
Joanne xx
Old Aug 30th 2002, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember them well, think i'm showing my age now!
Sue
Old Aug 30th 2002, 9:20 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by SueandIan:
Remember them well, think i'm showing my age now!
Sue
I remember those times too, but Im not as old as joanne and sue...so..well i must have been yold about those times...yeah i was ....hehehe

i could never have a bike..aw...never mind a chopper!!

i remember playing with my whip and top...anyone else have one..drawing patterns on it with chalk???
Old Aug 31st 2002, 7:12 am
Russell Driver

"micky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Just for a minute, forget everything stressful and read this...............
    > Close your eyes and go back in time... Before the Internet or the Apple Mac. Before
    > semi-automatics, joyriders and crack.... Before SEGA or Super Nintendo... Way
    > back........ I'm talking about Hide and Seek in the park. The corner shop.
    > Hopscotch. Butterscotch. Skipping. Handstands. Football with an old can. Fingerbob.
    > Beano, Dandy, Buster, Twinkle and Dennis the menace. Roly Poly. Hula Hoops, jumping
    > the stream, building dams. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass. Bazooka Joe
    > bubble gum. An ice cream cone on a warm summer night from the van that plays a tune
    > - Chocolate or vanilla or strawberry or maybe Neapolitan or perhaps a screwball
    > Wait..... Watching Saturday morning cartoons....short commercials, The Double
    > Deckers, Road Runner, He-Man, Zeebedee Tiswas or Swapshop?, and 'Why Don't You'?
    > - or staying up for Doctor Who. When around the corner seemed far away and going
    > into town Seemed like going somewhere. Earwigs, wasps, stinging nettles and bee
    > stings. Sticky fingers. Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, and Zorro.
    > Climbing trees. Building igloos out of snow banks. Walking to school, no matter
    > what the weather. Running till you were out of breath, laughing so hard that your
    > stomach hurt. Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights. Spinning around, getting dizzy
    > and falling down was cause for giggles. Being tired from playing....remember
    > that? The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons
    > were the ultimate weapon Football cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a
    > motorcycle. Choppers and Grifters I'm not finished just yet..... Eating raw
    > jelly. Orange squash ice pops. Remember when...There were two types of trainers -
    > girls and boys, and Dunlop GreenFlash - and the only time you wore them at school
    > was for
    > P.E.You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents. It wasn't odd to
    > have two or three "best" friends. You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve.
    > When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 25p was decent pocket money When you'd
    > reach into a muddy gutter for a penny. When nearly everyone's mum was at home
    > when the kids got there. It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb. When
    > it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real
    > restaurant with your parents. When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed
    > him or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a
    > thing of it. When being sent to the head's office was nothing compared to the
    > fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear for
    > our lives but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs etc.
    > parents and Grandparents were a much bigger threat! - and some of us are still
    > afraid of them!! Didn't that feel good? Just to go back and say, Yeah, I
    > remember that! Remember when....Decisions were made by going " Ip Dip Dog Shit
    > " "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest. Money issues were
    > handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly". The worst thing you could
    > catch from the opposite sex was germs. And the worst thing in your day was
    > having to sit next to one. It was unbelievable that 'British Bulldog 123'
    > wasn't an Olympic event. Having a weapon in school, meant being caught with a
    > catapult. Nobody was prettier than Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and
    > made better. Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin. Ice cream
    > was considered a basic food group Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true
    > Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors If
    > you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED.

Mmmmm, fond memories.............I've LIVED and still doing it,just don't want to
grow up. unfortunately like most people my age I am 43 ;-))))))

Russell

--
"To live at all is miracle enough"

Mervyn Peake. "The Glassblower" (1950)

Old Aug 31st 2002, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yvsie:

I remember those times too, but Im not as old as joanne and sue...so..well i must have been yold about those times...yeah i was ....hehehe

i could never have a bike..aw...never mind a chopper!!

i remember playing with my whip and top...anyone else have one..drawing patterns on it with chalk???
Chalk was a rarity we used to make do with big lumps of stones that were brown in colour for our hopscotch, remember knicking your mums old tights and playing french skipping?

Like Jo said what will our childrens memories be like, going into woolies and buying them a pocket money toy for £5, when we where kids chrissy prezzies were this much!
Going to Mcdonalds just cus there mums could'nt be bothered to cook.
Grand-parents taking them to zoo's, theme parks, sea sides at least once a month. We thought it wonderful to go to the towns biggest park for a day out taking a packed lunch and a big bottle of fizzy pop.
We visited our grand-parents 2-3 times a month and can remember been took to the shop by my grandad for some sweets, we'd take ages choosing which ones we were gonna have til he'd threaten to leave us in the shop.

Times have changed and I want to give my daughter all the things I never had as a child, but it does stop and make you think is it for the best???

Julie
(Adelaide by April 2003)
Old Aug 31st 2002, 9:10 am
Moorey

I have LIVED! :"D

Old Aug 31st 2002, 12:08 pm
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

I still remember me first BJ
God it tasted awful
Old Aug 31st 2002, 3:26 pm
Dean Chapman

I also remember the days when people talked about Emigration to Australia and NZ on
this group!

"Moorey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "micky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > I have LIVED! :"D

Old Aug 31st 2002, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dean Chapman:
I also remember the days when people talked about Emigration to Australia and NZ on
this group!

I think some folk need to get a life. Just trying to add a bit of lightheartedness while we wait. And some have been waiting a hell of a long time.
So... got a problem with that oh serious one? (all bow)
Old Aug 31st 2002, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Micky

Keep talking....he doesn't have to 'listen' if he doesn't want to!

love sophia xx
Old Aug 31st 2002, 9:38 pm
Emmy & Phil

Well i think it is really good. It brought a tear to my eye!!!! Keep some of the
light hearted stuff coming. If people dont like it then dont read it!!

Emily

> Originally posted by Dean Chapman:
    > > I also remember the days when people talked about Emigration to Australia and NZ
    > > on this group!
    > >
    > >
    > > I think some folk need to get a life. Just trying to add a bit of
    > > lightheartedness while we wait. And some have been waiting a hell of a long time.
    > > So... got a problem with that oh serious one? (all bow)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.