Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do you need a visa before applying for AHPRA?

Wikiposts

Do you need a visa before applying for AHPRA?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

martiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to beholdmartiinn is a splendid one to behold
Smile Do you need a visa before applying for AHPRA?

Hello,

I am in the process of completing my application form for AHPRA to work as a Mental Health Nurse. I noticed in section C that for proof of identity you need proof of visa along with an international passport. Is this correct or is my passport enough? I've heard that the AHPRA can be quite difficult with regards to paperwork. I am planning to apply for a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). Does anyone know how long it takes to process this kind of visa?

Also, are there any other governing bodies that I should register with before moving over?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Last edited by martiinn; Sep 9th 2014 at 6:13 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 6:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need a visa before applying for AHPRA?

I am not sure what the situation is now but I registered long before I had a visa but that was a few years ago.....long before AHPRA

If you scroll through the forum you will notice a section called "working abroad by profession". In there you will find a whole section for nurses and a lot of discussion about AHPRA. And registration.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martiinn
Hello,

I am in the process of completing my application form for AHPRA to work as a Mental Health Nurse. I noticed in section C that for proof of identity you need proof of visa along with an international passport. Is this correct or is my passport enough? I've heard that the AHPRA can be quite difficult with regards to paperwork. I am planning to apply for a Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). Does anyone know how long it takes to process this kind of visa?

Also, are there any other governing bodies that I should register with before moving over?

Thanks in advance,
Martin
As I mentioned on your other thread (I think it was you anyway), you would be better off focusing on skills assessment rather than nursing registration. Skills assessment is required to progress your visa application, nursing registration is not, you can do that later. Skills assessments are done by ANMAC.
Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:12 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martiinn
Hello,

Thanks in advance,
Martin
Hi Martin

If you are coming on a sponsored visa, you only need to register with AHPRA.
If you want permanent residency, you will need to do a skills assessment with ANMAC. If you are registered with Ahpra, you will only need to do a modified skills assessment (cheaper and easier).

I registered with Ahpra about 2 years ago and I do remember them initially questioning why I was registering when I didn't have a visa. I explained that I needed to be registered to apply for jobs with sponsorship and they accepted this.
In the current climate, it would be better to get your skills assessment underway so you can have PR from the start. However, if you can get sponsorship in an acceptable location then it will get you to Australia more quickly and you can apply for permanent residency once you're here.
I did this because I wanted to move my daughter before she was 14 and I don't regret it, but it's not for everyone. A permanent visa is better from the start, if possible.

Last edited by Kapri; Sep 9th 2014 at 8:14 pm. Reason: Typo