Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do you need a full trade licence at time of 186 visa application?

Do you need a full trade licence at time of 186 visa application?

Old May 17th 2016, 11:26 am
The Plumbers Wife

Lisa-93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you need a full trade licence at time of 186 visa application?

Hello

My other half is a Plumber and currently holds a provisional tradesperson certificate from NSW Fair Trading. He has submitted 186 visa application and provided a certified copy of this licence. I am confused as to whether he needs a full unconditional licence (as per the old 186 checklist from 2013) or whether the provisional will suffice? The current checklist as of 2016 states that:
Registration, licensing or professional membership, if required for your occupation in the state or territory in which you will be working. Documents from the relevant Australian registration and licensing authorities that show you hold, or will be able to meet, necessary registration and licensing requirements. The documents must specify both of the following:
the type of registration or licensing held
the name and contact details for the registration or licensing authority.

He will be doing gap training to get the Australian qualification and full licence after the visa has been granted because we don't want to pay the cost without securing our PR - he is eligible for this training as he hold successful skills assessment and provisional licence, so therefore the "will be able to meet" requirement should be fine. Does anyone have experience with successful 186 visa applications recently been approved despite only holding a provisional trade licence? I read on a recent case example from a migration lawyer (dated April 2016) that a 186 application was refused because the Electrician was working under supervision, but they took it to the merit review and proved that he could still legally work as an Electrician on his current licence etc and therefore it was approved.

Thanks and really hope you can help, we have already paid for application...
Old May 18th 2016, 1:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you need a full trade licence at time of 186 visa application?

Originally Posted by Lisa-93
Hello

My other half is a Plumber and currently holds a provisional tradesperson certificate from NSW Fair Trading. He has submitted 186 visa application and provided a certified copy of this licence. I am confused as to whether he needs a full unconditional licence (as per the old 186 checklist from 2013) or whether the provisional will suffice? The current checklist as of 2016 states that:
Registration, licensing or professional membership, if required for your occupation in the state or territory in which you will be working. Documents from the relevant Australian registration and licensing authorities that show you hold, or will be able to meet, necessary registration and licensing requirements. The documents must specify both of the following:
the name and contact details for the registration or licensing authority.

He will be doing gap training to get the Australian qualification and full licence after the visa has been granted because we don't want to pay the cost without securing our PR - he is eligible for this training as he hold successful skills assessment and provisional licence, so therefore the "will be able to meet" requirement should be fine. Does anyone have experience with successful 186 visa applications recently been approved despite only holding a provisional trade licence? I read on a recent case example from a migration lawyer (dated April 2016) that a 186 application was refused because the Electrician was working under supervision, but they took it to the merit review and proved that he could still legally work as an Electrician on his current licence etc and therefore it was approved.

Thanks and really hope you can help, we have already paid for application...
For a PR application on 189 / 190 all you would need to supply would be the OTSR as if you have this you will be able to go through the steps to full licensing but not sure on 186. Would you have enough points for either the 189 or 190?
Old May 18th 2016, 1:39 am
The Plumbers Wife

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
For a PR application on 189 / 190 all you would need to supply would be the OTSR as if you have this you will be able to go through the steps to full licensing but not sure on 186. Would you have enough points for either the 189 or 190?
Hi,

No we are on 50 points and decided not to do English test to reach 60 points, have discussed all other options too i.e. regional sponsorship but his employer has offered him permanent sponsorship so we can stay in Sydney. I just need to know people's experiences with the licensing requirement for 186 visa because one minute you need full licence, next minute you just need to be eligible to hold one... big difference if it means refusal.

Thanks

Old May 18th 2016, 1:41 am
The Plumbers Wife

Just to clarify what I just said, he didn't offer him sponsorship just so we can stay in Sydney, he wants him to run jobs for him and work his way up in the company (he's a fantastic Plumber if I do say so myself), think I just worded that wrong haha
Old May 18th 2016, 1:46 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify what I just said, he didn't offer him sponsorship just so we can stay in Sydney, he wants him to run jobs for him and work his way up in the company (he's a fantastic Plumber if I do say so myself), think I just worded that wrong haha
The change in the requirements may be because all licensing now requires a period of supervised experience before you can get a full license. I know with electricians though, there is a difference between an workers license and a contractors license, and he may need a different license to run jobs and sign off on COC's.

What visa are you currently on?
Old May 18th 2016, 1:49 am
The Plumbers Wife

We are currently on working holiday but have been granted bridging visa A. He is planning on doing his Certificate III and IV in Plumbing so he can get full licence and supervisor certificate once we have PR, as we are reluctant to pay course cost without securing residency. He should meet the licensing requirement now because he does hold a current plumbers licence, it is just a provisional. He is being sponsored as a plumber, nothing to do with supervisor that's just in the pipeline for the future.
Old May 18th 2016, 2:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently on working holiday but have been granted bridging visa A. He is planning on doing his Certificate III and IV in Plumbing so he can get full licence and supervisor certificate once we have PR, as we are reluctant to pay course cost without securing residency. He should meet the licensing requirement now because he does hold a current plumbers licence, it is just a provisional. He is being sponsored as a plumber, nothing to do with supervisor that's just in the pipeline for the future.
Has he done skills assessment?
Old May 18th 2016, 2:17 am
The Plumbers Wife

Yes he has successful offshore technical skills record from VETASSESS, therefore he has been granted provisional licence.. please tell me this is enough!
Old May 18th 2016, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Yes he has successful offshore technical skills record from VETASSESS, therefore he has been granted provisional licence.. please tell me this is enough!
Is that a skills assessment? Does it use those words.
Old May 18th 2016, 2:31 am
The Plumbers Wife

Yes it is a skills assessment
Old May 18th 2016, 2:51 am

If you are on a bridging visa, that must mean that you have already applied for another visa.

With the OTSR he should gain the cert III when he completes gap training.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:02 am
The Plumbers Wife

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If you are on a bridging visa, that must mean that you have already applied for another visa.

With the OTSR he should gain the cert III when he completes gap training.
Yes we have lodged 186 visa already. I know the process of getting the certificate III, as I said before he will complete gap training once we have residency as there is no point in paying for the course to get an Australian qualification if we don't end up getting granted residency. He has a provisional licence now so I need to know if this meets the licensing requirements for the 186 application
Old May 18th 2016, 3:13 am

Yes we have lodged 186 visa already. I know the process of getting the certificate III, as I said before he will complete gap training once we have residency as there is no point in paying for the course to get an Australian qualification if we don't end up getting granted residency. He has a provisional licence now so I need to know if this meets the licensing requirements for the 186 application
If you have already applied I would try not to worry. If you end goal is to stay in Australia, I would sign up for the gap training and get it started now.
If the 186 were unsuccessful, you can always go for a 189 or 190 later and will need it sooner or later if you plan on staying but given that the OTSR is sufficient for 189/190 I would hope that it would be enough for 186. As you said in opening post, it was enough for electrician on appeal
Old May 18th 2016, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Agree with OS, as it is already lodged, there is really nothing you can do now anyway. The immigration website seems to indicate that you need either full licensing or skills assessment.

As you already have skills assessment I do think you would have been much better off applying for a 189, quicker and easier process and IELTs is something most people manage. Anyway hindsight and all that..
Old May 18th 2016, 3:38 am
The Plumbers Wife

Yeah bit pointless now.. we had planned to do 189 for years but struggled with the IELTS and PTE so decided not to keep paying into it (partner is dyslexic... too much money, stress and pressure to try to get the points). According to the current 186 checklist, it says this regarding licensing requirements:

"Registration, licensing or professional membership, if required for your occupation in the state or territory in which you will be working. Documents from the relevant Australian registration and licensing authorities that show you hold, or will be able to meet, necessary registration and licensing requirements. The documents must specify both of the following:
the name and contact details for the registration or licensing authority."

Obviously he holds a provisional now, so I have supplied certified copy of this. The fact it says "show you hold or will be able to meet necessary registration" gives me hope rather than it saying "you need a full licence at the time of application" as per the previous checklist from 2013. If you think logically, someone who applies for 186 visa from outside Australia that has never worked here before, will evidently not hold a licence but will be eligible to receive one if they have skills assessment (OTSR), and clearly immi do provide 186 visas for offshore applicants who are not Australian. But please if you know of anyone who has successfully been approved for a 186 on a provisional/with no registration or licence please let me know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.