Wikiposts

Do you have any advice about medicals?

Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of
Default Do you have any advice about medicals?

Hi there.

Does anyone have any advice about obtaining a medical for an independent skilled visa? For example, is weight or BMI a big issue? What about smoking? If anyone who has been through this process could give me any tips (for my OH), I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Vegemite.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of
Default Re: Do you have any advice about medicals?

Weight can be an issue but they are more concerned about the medical implications of this (diabetes, hypertension etc). BMI under 35 is judged as a 'safe zone'. I got my visa with BMI of 45 and no health undertaking but I had to have a second report sent off to show that there were no underlying issues.

Can't help with the smoking - gave up in 2000!

Where do you think you will be going for your meds? If you are in the right area I can recommend Hitchin. OK, I see you are in Portugal - bit of a long way to Hitchin!

Good luck!

Adi

Last edited by Iwannabethere; Oct 7th 2007 at 6:41 pm. Reason: Realised where you are!
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Thanks Wannabe! It's good to know all this stuff, ta heaps. I'm back in Oz now but he is in Portugal still.

Vegemite.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vegi! how's it going?

BMI wasn't even discussed or checked on our meds.

They give a chest x-ray but all they are looking for is fluid (incase of TB) or shadows.

Drink plenty of water before so that urine is nice and clear i had to retake my sample as it wasn't and it was a pain in the arse

They do a simple eye test for each eye, and check blood pressure.

Other than that it was 'can you touch your toes', and checked eyes and ears.

It's really easy and nothing to get stressed about

Spk soon hun
Sam xxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Oct 7th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Sammy!

I'm doing better thanks! I've got some shifts back already from my old job, so I'm happy about that. Still no sign of my cats though...

Hey thanks for that info...that helps. It doesn't sound too bad then! I'll pass it on to him.

Take care,
See ya soon!