Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do we need to get Aussie passports if we are not returning?

Do we need to get Aussie passports if we are not returning?

Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Do we need to get Aussie passports if we are not returning?

Hi all,

Thanks for reading. Our family of 2 adults and 3 kids are all citizenships (one by birth).

We are likely to move back to the UK in the coming months. Hubby and I have valid UK passports and so do 1 of our kids.

For the other two I will be apply for his first passport (Aussie born) and the other needs either UK or Australian to travel.

If we aren't planning on returning to Australia do we need to get Australian passports for Hubby, myself and the child with a valid UK one. The cost is around $500 for us 3 and the other two would be $200. Like I said we are all citizens.

Many Thanks

Poppet

P.s Passport office closed today and we have our passport appointment tomorrow.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:22 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need to get Aussie passports if we are not returning?

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,
If we aren't planning on returning to Australia do we need to get Australian passports for Hubby, myself and the child with a valid UK one. The cost is around $500 for us 3 and the other two would be $200. Like I said we are all citizens.
I wouldn't think you'd need oz passports, but I'd hang on to those citizenship certificates incase you change your mind down the track. Aren't the other kids entitled to UK passports? They would have that right by descent surely, in which case UK passports all around, I'd have thought.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I wouldn't think you'd need oz passports, but I'd hang on to those citizenship certificates incase you change your mind down the track. Aren't the other kids entitled to UK passports? They would have that right by descent surely, in which case UK passports all around, I'd have thought.
That's my thinking. UK passports all around albeit baby and the other child will take 4 weeks to get there UK ones so safest option will be Australian for them.

cheers
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the law was that if you are an Oz citizen it was mandatory to leave on a Oz passport. Although if you are leaving for good there may be some exception?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

peanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nicepeanut21 is just really nice

When we left last year in sept, also with no plans to return my youngest son required an new british passport. It arrived in time without the visa in it and when we tried to leave they wouldnt let him as his visa hadnt been issued he was 6 at the time. I did go barmy and eventually they let us leave. Just in time though we nearly missed our flight.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm you might want to get some advice about people arriving "permanently" in UK on an Australian passports - I dont know what immigration would say because they are little tackers but you probably should get good advice about what could happen when you arrive at Heathrow. I'd say UK passports all round full stop. You dont need to get your Aussie ones straight away but you can do that if the mood takes you.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
I thought the law was that if you are an Oz citizen it was mandatory to leave on a Oz passport. Although if you are leaving for good there may be some exception?
You can leave on any passport you like. You are required to use your Australian passport to return, though.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You can leave on any passport you like. You are required to use your Australian passport to return, though.
I'm sure that's not correct.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/current/travel/

Last edited by Tr1boy; Dec 29th 2009 at 8:28 am. Reason: Thought as much
Old Dec 29th 2009, 9:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter what the site says, there is no law mandating Australian citizens to leave using an Australian passport.

What IS true is that any non-citizen in Australia needs a visa, and Australian citizens can't have a visa => so effectively you do need an Australian passport to enter Australia.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by peanut21
When we left last year in sept, also with no plans to return my youngest son required an new british passport. It arrived in time without the visa in it and when we tried to leave they wouldnt let him as his visa hadnt been issued he was 6 at the time. I did go barmy and eventually they let us leave. Just in time though we nearly missed our flight.
the exact same thing happened to my family on our return to uk,my 7yr old daughter left oz with a new british passport with no visa in it and was told that she may not be able to leave but we could
as if we would have left her.
they made such a fuss,we felt angry, humiliated and embarrassed.
there is no doubt a reason for this, but they could have been a bit more diplomatic,caring,sensitive,,,
they don't want you in their country,they don't want you to leave!!!
still trying to get my head round that one.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitz
the exact same thing happened to my family on our return to uk,my 7yr old daughter left oz with a new british passport with no visa in it and was told that she may not be able to leave but we could

Told by whom?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Told by whom?
EXACTLY!!!!!!
the girl at the airport check in desk,i must say she took great delight in telling us as well.
ahh well it's now a distant memory
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Doesn't matter what the site says, there is no law mandating Australian citizens to leave using an Australian passport.

What IS true is that any non-citizen in Australia needs a visa, and Australian citizens can't have a visa => so effectively you do need an Australian passport to enter Australia.
FFS And the effective difference is?
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

FFS And the effective difference is?
The difference is that an Australian citizen does not need an Australian passport to leave Australia, but does to enter.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by fitz
EXACTLY!!!!!!
the girl at the airport check in desk,i must say she took great delight in telling us as well.
Airline check-in staff do not make the law, and are not involved in customs/law enforcement either. So presumably you insisted on speaking to a supervisor ... ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.