Wikiposts

Do we have to carry on with our Agent???

Old Jul 5th 2004, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

traceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant future
Default Do we have to carry on with our Agent???

We employed an agent to help us with the Visa process.

So far we have applied to the TRA for a skills assessment, we had to fill in all the forms ourselves and send them to Adelaide to the Agent. We had to pay £750 + VAT up front and then it says in the contract we must pay another £750 + VAT prior to lodging the Visa.

Once I found this site I have learned so much myself that I feel that we do not need their help with the filling in the Visa forms, we have a straight forward case and we applied to Victoria (off our own backs) and have been accepted for STNI.

I am however worried that if we tell the agent we no longer need their services they may not forward the TRA certificate to us. (if it goes to them)

Does anyone have any advice on how I should tackle the issue? Its just I can't see the point in paying them another £750 + vat when I have researched everything to do with STNI and downloaded the forms from this website.

I think considering they have had the initial payment for just having a chat on the phone, they have had enough of a profit.

I have to say also that when we set up the payment to the TRA we did everything our agent told us and the TRA sent a letter say we had short paid by $9. Therefore it has been delayed by 2 months because of this error.

I am not happy and feel that they have not really helped us from the start and if we ever had a question it takes 3 days for a reply.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Tracey and Ian
Old Jul 5th 2004, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice
Default Re: Do we have to carry on with our Agent???

Originally posted by traceyandian

So far we have applied to the TRA for a skills assessment, we had to fill in all the forms ourselves and send them to Adelaide to the Agent. We had to pay £750 + VAT up front and then it says in the contract we must pay another £750 + VAT prior to lodging the Visa.

Once I found this site I have learned so much myself that I feel that we do not need their help with the filling in the Visa forms, we have a straight forward case and we applied to Victoria (off our own backs) and have been accepted for STNI.

I am however worried that if we tell the agent we no longer need their services they may not forward the TRA certificate to us. (if it goes to them)

Does anyone have any advice on how I should tackle the issue? Its just I can't see the point in paying them another £750 + vat when I have researched everything to do with STNI and downloaded the forms from this website.

I think considering they have had the initial payment for just having a chat on the phone, they have had enough of a profit.

I have to say also that when we set up the payment to the TRA we did everything our agent told us and the TRA sent a letter say we had short paid by $9. Therefore it has been delayed by 2 months because of this error.

I am not happy and feel that they have not really helped us from the start and if we ever had a question it takes 3 days for a reply.

Tracey and Ian
Hi Tracey and Ian,

I guess even if you have formal contract, it can't force you to proceed with the visa application.

You will have to wait for the TRA assessment anyway to proceed. He can't keep that from you, its your personal document. I don't think its an asset to an agents reputation if you have to write to TRA and ask for a duplicate because your agent is keeping the original from you.

Once you have your positive assessment you can either tell your agent the truth, that you aren't impressed by his performance and you would therefore want to refrain from further services, or - if you think he might be nasty then - you just tell him you want to postpone the whole poject until a later date and then do whatever you feel is best.

I wouldn't stick to an agent if I don't feel comfortable with him.

Good luck with your decision!

Lavinia
Old Jul 5th 2004, 2:10 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we have to carry on with our Agent???

I would recommend that you read the letter setting out the terms of the agent's appointment which you should have been sent (and signed) when you engaged the agent - that should tell you whether you are committed to paying the full fee if you bail out before the visa application is lodged.

Maybe also have a conversation on the telephone with him or her, explain your concerns, and if you are still unhappy see if you can find a mutually agreeable basis for terminating the relationship. A hostile confrontation is generally not a good idea!

Best regards.

Originally posted by traceyandian

Tracey and Ian