Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do we both need to have qualifications assessed?

Do we both need to have qualifications assessed?

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

zedster is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Do we both need to have qualifications assessed?

We were going to have OH as Principal applicant and were under the impression that only he need have his qualification assessed but then I read somewhere that the spouse (me) should have qualifications assessed also.

We both do the similar jobs and would be applying with the same occupation on the SOL but my OH is 1.5 years younger than me so has more points for his age.

The problem is that he has a Bachelor degree with honours 2:2 and I have a bachelor degree 2:1. Who do we go for as principal applicant and should we both get have our skills assessed?

Any advice much appreciated
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny Devon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do we both need to have qualifications assessed?

Hi

My OH was the principal applicant but my qualifications, jobs, and references were still required to be assessed to obtain the PR visas.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:39 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

It depends on how many points you have on your OH's skills.

We didn't use my occupation at all when we applied. My husband applied as a mining engineer and had 135 points, more than enough on his own.

I just tagged on the application and did not do a skills assessment or anything else to get spouse points.

The questions is.... do you need the extra 5 points or not? If you do then you have to get your skills assessed as well, and go through the same steps as your OH.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

zedster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sunny Devon & comet555, yes indeed we could do with the extra 5 points so I'll get my skills assessed also. Thanks for the info!