Do Panel Doctors ACTUALLY contact your GP?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:44 am
Just Joined

NetCynic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do Panel Doctors ACTUALLY contact your GP?

Just wondering as I'm imminently due to do my medical and not sure I want to declare anything. I'm not suffering from a communicable disease (TB, HIV, HEP B or HEP C etc.) but I have a managed condition that I'm worried may prejudice the outcome of my application.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:49 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Panel Doctors ACTUALLY contact your GP?

Originally Posted by NetCynic View Post
Just wondering as I'm imminently due to do my medical and not sure I want to declare anything. I'm not suffering from a communicable disease (TB, HIV, HEP B or HEP C etc.) but I have a managed condition that I'm worried may prejudice the outcome of my application.
Do not lie on your application. Not declaring a medical condition is a lie of omission. You MUST declare it on your medical forms.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice. That's kind of the conclusion I'd come to...
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. That's kind of the conclusion I'd come to...
If they find out at any time between now and when you get Citizenship that you've lied, it's well within their rights to cancel your visa. Why would you not tell them everything? If you have a condition that 'could possibly' raise queries then simply go to your GP and ask them to write a letter detailing the condition, how long you've had it, how it's managed, how your life is not affected by it etc etc etc and take that with the forms to the panel doctor. They will decide if it matters or not. They could well decide it's unimportant but they have to know about anything.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 10:03 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If it reassures you at all, I've had a long term condition that is managed by myself, although I have had quite severe outbreaks from time to time that have affected me quite seriously & I've needed medical help for. I've also had an assortment of horrid gynae problems & a couple of quite serious (& one life-threatening) operations. I declared it all on my medicals & to the panel doctor & all that happened was that he did an extra blood test just to determine the level of my illness.

Absolutely no problems at all & my medical went straight through. I would say definitely declare it - you wouldn't want anything to come back & bite you on the bum later, which would not be the best start to your new start down under
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the reassuring advice guys. Hopefully I will have a positive outcome too!
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:16 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the reassuring advice guys. Hopefully I will have a positive outcome too!
And just to add- if they do want to contact your GP, they can only do so with your consent
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

What panel doctors do at the medical varies greatly.

Ours (The Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead) did not even ask who our GPs were. Not knowing who they were, the panel doctor obviously could not contact them .

If you read posts here on the subject, others have been asked for results letters from latest smear tests (The Bridge Clinic did not ask for that either) and had GPs contacted.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 6:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 View Post
What panel doctors do at the medical varies greatly.

Ours (The Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead) did not even ask who our GPs were. Not knowing who they were, the panel doctor obviously could not contact them .

If you read posts here on the subject, others have been asked for results letters from latest smear tests (The Bridge Clinic did not ask for that either) and had GPs contacted.
I could be wrong but I imagine that since they've drastically cut down on the number of Panel Doctors in the UK, that will no longer be an issue. I should think that they have now been given a list of what has to be done.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I could be wrong but I imagine that since they've drastically cut down on the number of Panel Doctors in the UK, that will no longer be an issue. I should think that they have now been given a list of what has to be done.
Lol . They always had a "list of what has to be done" and they still have it - it's Form 26 - see below.

But I guess doctors don't like being told what to do and some add their own "tests" and for some that includes contacting a person's current GP and asking for a copy of their medical records.

I guess The Bridge Clinic had a policy to just stick to the DIAC "list" of minimum "tests".

For the OP: Here is a list of the current panel doctors so you can make your choice (The Bridge Clinic is still on the list):
http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/over...el-doctors.htm

And here is the "list" that moneypenny talked about of the tests that have to done (it's called Form 26): http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/26.pdf
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

If they want to do anything that doesn't have a 'box' to tick then you simply say you don't consider that necessary and ask for them to show you where they would put such details and why. No Panel Doctor can take it upon themselves to ask your GP for details. They can only ask you to ask your GP to give more information on a particular issue. At no point do you give your GPs details so it's impossible for them to know who they are.

If anyone has a medical issue, it's always worth going to your GP before the medical to get a letter from the GP stating what the issue is, how long you've had it, what treatment you've had/are having, what caused it, what cured it or managed it and how it impacts or doesn't on your life.