British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Do I still have my 175 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/do-i-still-have-my-175-a-915911/)

pegzyisdeed Aug 10th 2018 1:02 pm

Do I still have my 175

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted on here, but this forum was invaluable to me while I was going through my Australian immigration request back in the day, so here goes.

I was granted a 175 (skilled migration visa) in approx. 2009. At the time I was on a sponsored via (475 I think it was called). Low and behold a year after I got the 175 visa I realised that Australia really wasn't for me and I wanted to return to the U.K. I left in 2010 and I've never returned and have zero intention of ever going back, even for a holiday (those flights are too long). So put simply, do I still have a 175? Am I still a permanent resident?

I'm really looking at all this to try and reclaim my superannuation back into a uk pension pot in order to consolidate it all. I'm obviously informed this is not possible if I'm deemed as a PR.

Anyone who can advise ?

cheers

Paul Hand Aug 13th 2018 9:48 am

Re: Do I still have my 175

Originally Posted by pegzyisdeed (Post 12546258)
Hi All,

Been a while since I posted on here, but this forum was invaluable to me while I was going through my Australian immigration request back in the day, so here goes.

I was granted a 175 (skilled migration visa) in approx. 2009. At the time I was on a sponsored via (475 I think it was called). Low and behold a year after I got the 175 visa I realised that Australia really wasn't for me and I wanted to return to the U.K. I left in 2010 and I've never returned and have zero intention of ever going back, even for a holiday (those flights are too long). So put simply, do I still have a 175? Am I still a permanent resident?

I'm really looking at all this to try and reclaim my superannuation back into a uk pension pot in order to consolidate it all. I'm obviously informed this is not possible if I'm deemed as a PR.

Anyone who can advise ?

cheers

Once your PR visa's travel period has expired, if you are offshore you are no longer a permanent resident, you are a 'former permanent resident'.

pegzyisdeed Aug 23rd 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. So how does becoming a 'former permanent resident' change my situation? Can I get my Super Ann back now ?

verystormy Aug 24th 2018 4:47 am

IT doesn't. There is no way of getting it back until you meet the age of claiming it

pegzyisdeed Mar 17th 2019 11:24 am

This is kind of what I was dreading to hear, however not unexpected either. Current age to claim is 55?

spouse of scouse Mar 17th 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by pegzyisdeed (Post 12655131)
This is kind of what I was dreading to hear, however not unexpected either. Current age to claim is 55?

Depends on your preservation age, which in turn is dependent on your date of birth https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/S...ng-your-super/

Ocean bakes May 16th 2019 12:31 pm

May I please add another question pertaining to the same subject. If a person who was granted 175 in 2009 and then arrived in Australia to stamp the PR before the due date and then returned to his / her original country and never came back to Australia is there a way to regain that PR?

Paul Hand May 16th 2019 9:46 pm

After that amount of time, it would be very unlikely that you would be able to evidence that you had substantial ties to Australia which were of benefit to Australia. You would also need to show compelling reasons for your long absence. If you thought you had a case, there is nothing to stop you trying.