Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do I need to have an Australian Police check?

Wikiposts

Do I need to have an Australian Police check?

Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future
Default Re: Do I need to have an Australian Police check?

Originally Posted by JAJ
It is a grey area - but the bottom line is that if you are anywhere close to the 12 month mark, get the police check to be on the safe side.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy, I was in Australia for about 9 and a half months. Will I need an australian police check or do you think it will be ok without?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:18 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

It will cost you $36, if you can afford it, get one done. I was there 11 months and they asked for one.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by claire edwards
It will cost you $36, if you can afford it, get one done. I was there 11 months and they asked for one.
Hi Claire,

Yes I wasn't sure as on the form 47SP it does say that you only need one if you have been in another country for over 12 months which was why I was unsure.

Will look into it.

Thanks
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:30 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

This is true. I is up to the descretion of the case officer. I was there for less than the 12 months stipulated and was asked by my case office to provide an Australian Police Check.

Would you rather wait to have this requested or apply now and send it in with your application?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

On a working holiday, where arrival date and departure date are the same (except one year later) DIMIA sometimes request AFP clearance as techinically it is 12 months and 1 day and some case officers are on the ball and request the AFP. Also, time spent in Australia over the last 10 years is aggregated so, if you spend 11 months on a working holiday in Australia, and had a 3 week holiday there 5 and 7 years ago, this would aggregate more than 12 months in the last 10 years.

Also, if you are applying while in Australia and you apply before you have been there 12 months, they will certainly request an AFP clearance if, during the process, your total stay goes over 12 months.

The request for AFP is discretionary where stays of less than 12 months are involved e.g. will probably be requested if there is a criminal record declared in another country.

so as posted before, if there is any doubt, get one anyway.

Tony