Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do I need to have an Australian Police check?

Wikiposts

Do I need to have an Australian Police check?

Old May 6th 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

kath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant future
Default Do I need to have an Australian Police check?

Hello - I am British, about to apply for a defacto visa with my Australian partner. I am currently in the UK.

I spent 1 year on a working holiday visa in Australia back in 2002.
Will I need to get a police check from Australia as well as from the UK?

Thanks
Kath
Old May 6th 2005, 12:07 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need to have an Australian Police check?

Dont think so, Malc did the same but we werent told by agent we needed Oz check...
Old May 6th 2005, 2:51 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kath2604
Hello - I am British, about to apply for a defacto visa with my Australian partner. I am currently in the UK.

I spent 1 year on a working holiday visa in Australia back in 2002.
Will I need to get a police check from Australia as well as from the UK?

Thanks
Kath
If you have spent 12 months in Australia (or close to it) then yes, you will need an Aussie police check.
Old May 6th 2005, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

sunnybeach will become famous soon enoughsunnybeach will become famous soon enough

yes I think you woould need that AFP as u had spent a year out of last 10 years.
Cheers,

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you have spent 12 months in Australia (or close to it) then yes, you will need an Aussie police check.
Old May 6th 2005, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

sunnybeach will become famous soon enoughsunnybeach will become famous soon enough

oh I forget to tell u that please do it urgently if u need the police check from australia as it takes for a month
Thanks

Originally Posted by sunnybeach
yes I think you woould need that AFP as u had spent a year out of last 10 years.
Cheers,
Old May 16th 2005, 9:47 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - I'm in the same "boat" as the original poster... Which certificate do I require ? DIMIA didn't have a clue when I called them....

According to http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/serv.../polcert.shtml , there are 2 options :

"Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check of name only: $38.20
Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check of name and fingerprints: $135.10"

Please tell me I only need the cheap one !!

Kind regards,
Mark
Old May 16th 2005, 10:54 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

It's neither of those. You need this form - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1101.pdf . All the instructions are included on the form. The cost is $36.
Old May 16th 2005, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bridiej
Dont think so, Malc did the same but we werent told by agent we needed Oz check...
NO only if you've lived in Oz , we did our police check's unrequested just pick up the forms from your local police station, we've just had our visa granted so we did everything right, and they only took 4 wks to come back, good luck

paula
Cheshire
Old May 16th 2005, 11:46 pm
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

I lived in Australia for 11 months. It's up to the discretion of your case officer in terms of the amount of time you spent there and whether they want you to get one. What I would do is get one anyway, they are cheep to get and it will speed up the process of your application if asked for one.

Cheers
Claire
Old May 17th 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

kath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant futurekath2604 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by claire edwards
I lived in Australia for 11 months. It's up to the discretion of your case officer in terms of the amount of time you spent there and whether they want you to get one. What I would do is get one anyway, they are cheep to get and it will speed up the process of your application if asked for one.

Cheers
Claire

I have just sent off for my Aus Police Check.
Just as a note or warning, the banks charge a fortune for the international bankers draft. I tried shopping around, but as I needed it urgently, it cost me £15! Plus the $36 (total of £30!!) This was through HSBC. Natwest do it for £8 but you have to have a bank account to use this service!!
Worth looking at other banks if you have time.
Old May 17th 2005, 7:37 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraliz
It's neither of those. You need this form - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1101.pdf . All the instructions are included on the form. The cost is $36.
thanks Saraliz !

I wonder why DIMIA didn't point me towards this form.... hmmm.
Old May 17th 2005, 8:01 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I checked with my agent on this one and unless you were actually there for 12 full months you dont need one.
Old May 17th 2005, 8:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I checked with my agent on this one and unless you were actually there for 12 full months you dont need one.
Technically you don't but I know I've seen some people post on here about being asked for them after 11 months - might be as well to get one if you are close to the 12 month mark.
Old May 17th 2005, 10:30 pm
Account Open

hmmm.. Yet, the DIMIA told me I would need one, after I explained that I'd be applying a couple of days before the expiration of my 1yr working holiday....

who to believe ? There seems to be so many sources of information regarding immigration, but no one authority ! I think I'll just get the check done, to be on the "safe" side....

Kind regards,
Mark
Old May 17th 2005, 10:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
hmmm.. Yet, the DIMIA told me I would need one, after I explained that I'd be applying a couple of days before the expiration of my 1yr working holiday....

who to believe ? There seems to be so many sources of information regarding immigration, but no one authority ! I think I'll just get the check done, to be on the "safe" side....

Kind regards,
Mark
It is a grey area - but the bottom line is that if you are anywhere close to the 12 month mark, get the police check to be on the safe side.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.