Do I need to fill in Form 956?

Old Dec 10th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice
Default Do I need to fill in Form 956?

Hi. My partner, whose first language is not English is applying for a defacto visa in January. I have filled out her application form, and collated the supporting documents and evidence.

I would also like DIAC to correspond with me during her application process.

Although I'm an exempt person (her partner and sponsor), in these circumstances, do I need to fill in Form 956 'Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance'

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2011, 12:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to fill in Form 956?

Originally Posted by Green Grass
Hi. My partner, whose first language is not English is applying for a defacto visa in January. I have filled out her application form, and collated the supporting documents and evidence.

Although I'm an exempt person (her partner and sponsor), in these circumstances, do I need to fill in Form 956 'Advice by a migration agent/exempt person of providing immigration assistance'

Thanks
Wellllll looking at the instructions on 956 its to be filled in by people giving migration advice. If all you are doing is acting as an "authorised recipient" and accepting emails etc on her behalf then you need 956a. However if DIAC want to actually speak to someone about her application and you want that person to be you, you may need 956.
Not a question I've seen before, be interested to see what anyone else thinks.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Green Grass

Thanks
They generally correspond by email, so I would see no reason why you could not just put your own email down. DIAC won't know who reads the emails they send.

If you think you are likely to want to ring them and discuss the case (most people have no need to do that) then you might need the form for data protection reasons. But like Polly I have never heard of anyone using the form other than to appoint an agent.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Green Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really niceGreen Grass is just really nice

Thanks to you both. I'll get my partner to sign the 956a and if we run into difficulties and need to have verbal dialogue, we can do the 956 then.