Do i need to do IELTS exam?

Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:57 pm
zen
Forum Regular

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about
Default Do i need to do IELTS exam?

Hi all, can someone please advise me as to whether i need to do the IELTS exam if i'm planning to apply for state sponsorship (either WA or Vic)? I'm from the UK and have a MSc and BA hons.. many thanks, z
Old Mar 24th 2013, 7:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do i need to do IELTS exam?

No it would be impossible to tell you on that limited information.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:31 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you will need it for skills assessment and also for main application. Check whether you need general or academic. Some skills assessments require academic. You need to get score of 8 in all parts for 20 points.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jat
Yes you will need it for skills assessment and also for main application. Check whether you need general or academic. Some skills assessments require academic. You need to get score of 8 in all parts for 20 points.
There are very few skills assessments that require IELTS, certain people do not need it for the main visa application and you do not know what points the OP already has or needs.

As I mentioned, it is impossible to answer the question accurately.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:41 am
zen
Forum Regular

zen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura aboutzen has a spectacular aura about

I'm looking to apply under 261314 Software Tester or 135112 ICT Project Manager - if that helps as to whether i need to take the IELTS? z
Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:54 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zen
I'm looking to apply under 261314 Software Tester or 135112 ICT Project Manager - if that helps as to whether i need to take the IELTS? z
Hi Zen,

Whether or not you need IELTS for DIAC will be explained here - http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

If you need it for you skills assessment, it should be explained on the relevant site - similarly you would need to check the state sites for their requirements
Old Apr 1st 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Heatseeker123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive checked my points and id would need to score 20 on this test to qualify for the 60 points.
What is it equivalent to?
Is this like getting a grade A at A level or something simliar? Can you say what superior score is?
Or is it a basic test, to confirm your english is OK.
Im a native english speaker, british citizen, who got a B at O level. What am i likely to score?
Cheers,

Last edited by Heatseeker123; Apr 1st 2013 at 11:53 am.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 12:21 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heatseeker123
Ive checked my points and id would need to score 20 on this test to qualify for the 60 points.
What is it equivalent to?
Is this like getting a grade A at A level or something simliar? Can you say what superior score is?
Or is it a basic test, to confirm your english is OK.
Im a native english speaker, british citizen, who got a B at O level. What am i likely to score?
Cheers,
From the IELTS website:

Band 9: Expert user: has fully operational command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.

Band 8: Very good user: has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies. Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.

Band 7: Good user: has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.

Band 6: Competent user: has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.
To score 20 points you will need at least 8 in EACH category

From what you've written I would suggest you start practicing grammar and spelling, including capitalizing 'I' and the use of apostrophes. There are a few IELTS threads with links on how to improve your scores
Old Apr 1st 2013, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Heatseeker123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have checked my points. I'd need to score 20 on this test to qualify for the 60 points.
What is this equivalent to?
Is this like getting a grade A at A level. Can this be compared to a similar type of examination? Is anyone aware of what constitutes 'a superior score' ?
Is this a basic test? Is it used to determine that you can communicate with the locals on a 'superior' level?
I'm a native English speaker, British citizen, i achieved a B at O level. What am i likely to score?
Thanks !

So does this get me 20 points?
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have checked my points. I'd need to score 20 on this test to qualify for the 60 points.
Is this like getting a grade A at A level. Can this be compared to a similar type of examination? Is anyone aware of what constitutes 'a superior score' ?
Is this a basic test? Is it used to determine that you can communicate with the locals on a 'superior' level?
I'm a native English speaker, British citizen, i achieved a B at O level. What am i likely to score?
Thanks !

Didn't you read the answer given above?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 6:28 am
BE Enthusiast

peaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nicepeaceboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by zen
First of all you do not need IELTS for your Skills Assessment as ACS do not request IELTS, and you do not need IELTS to apply for VISA since you hold a UK passport, however if you want to claim points for English Language you need to score 7 in each band to get 10 points and 8 in each band to get 20 points at the DIAC points test.

To secure a State Nomination, in my opinion most of the states request IELTS 7 points in each band.

I hope i answered your question.

Cheers,
PB
Old Apr 4th 2013, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Is this like getting a grade A at A level. level? Can this be compared to a similar type of examination? Is anyone aware of what constitutes 'a superior score' a 'superior score' ?
I'm a native English speaker, British citizen, and i I achieved a B at O level. What am i I likely to score?
Thanks !

Probably not.