Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Do hairdressers need experience or does a qualification count?

Wikiposts

Do hairdressers need experience or does a qualification count?

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:10 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do hairdressers need experience or does a qualification count?

Hi, Lacey,
I have been working in hairsalons for 9 years, the deeming date given by TRA was Aug 1998, which is 3 months after I qualified. Therefore at the time of application I was classed as having 6 years experience. I think at the time I had to of been working fir 2 out of the last 3 years in a hairsalon.
Marie
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Do hairdressers need experience or does a qualification count?

Oh cheers Marie,
that means you were working 3 years then. Oh well I have started on the perming and dusty road of Hairdressing.
cheers for that
Lace
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:08 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacey21
Oh cheers Marie,
that means you were working 3 years then. Oh well I have started on the perming and dusty road of Hairdressing.
cheers for that
Lace
When I applied to TRA I'd only been back at work for just over 2 years. I took a year off from work when I had my daughter and returned to work when she was 1. To pass the TRA I had to of worked continuosly in a salon for 2 out of the last 3 years, not 3 years. Maybe rules have changed since I applied.
Marie
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

iNTERLINK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by castrie
Hi there

I am interested how much experience a hairdresser needs to have to be able to migrate to Oz for 60 point. Would I be able to apply as soon as i have the relevent qualification?

Thanks in advance

Castrue
You may be able to obtain a successful TRA however, to apply for Migration to Australia, a minimum of 12 months working experience will be needed.
Hairdressers are now on the Migration in Demand List (MODL) and attarcts a further 15 points.

Kind regards
Andre
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 12:13 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily ... if you can secure a State Nomination a Skills Matching visa becomes an option, which "only" requires 6 months of skilled work ...

Best regards.

Originally Posted by iNTERLINK
You may be able to obtain a successful TRA however, to apply for Migration to Australia, a minimum of 12 months working experience will be needed.
Hairdressers are now on the Migration in Demand List (MODL) and attarcts a further 15 points.

Kind regards
Andre
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Not necessarily ... if you can secure a State Nomination a Skills Matching visa becomes an option, which "only" requires 6 months of skilled work ...

Best regards.
Hi Alan,

The way the question was asked (specifying a 60 pts occupation) implies the applicant wishes to apply for a 136 not a 134. If applying for a 134 only I would Ithen agree with your comment.

Kind regards
Andre
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 1:22 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Err ... no, I don't think it does actually ... but let's agree to differ ...

Best regards.

Hi Alan,

The way the question was asked (specifying a 60 pts occupation) implies the applicant wishes to apply for a 136 not a 134. If applying for a 134 only I would Ithen agree with your comment.

Kind regards
Andre
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 4:55 am
Have only gone and GOT IT

Bed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the roughBed Of Roses is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: Do hairdressers need experience or does a qualification count?

Err ... no, I don't think it does actually ... but let's agree to differ ...

Best regards.
Don’t suppose there’s any chance of actually clarifying the position for all the wannabe hairdresser migrants??

I am sure there as clear as mud from the two agents responses?
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Do hairdressers need experience or does a qualification count?

Oh Dear I feel we have started a row. No not really. I was told that I would have to have three years experience. That what it says in booklet 6 and on the immi website. The MODL points as I belive are only awarded if you can get a positive TRA and to get that you need to have three years working expeience or be able to prove you have been doing the job for 6 years (with wage slips and all that).
This is what I have been led to believe, I don't know about the other visa you were talking about where you need six months working. Give us a clue and i'll have that one.
cheers
Lace
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Oh Dear I feel we have started a row. No not really. I was told that I would have to have three years experience. That what it says in booklet 6 and on the immi website. The MODL points as I belive are only awarded if you can get a positive TRA and to get that you need to have three years working expeience or be able to prove you have been doing the job for 6 years (with wage slips and all that).
This is what I have been led to believe, I don't know about the other visa you were talking about where you need six months working. Give us a clue and i'll have that one.
cheers
Lace
Hi Lacey,

The confusion expressed demonstrates the need to provide accurate and complete information when seeking advise, this is because Migration laws in Australia are convoluted, dynimic and some time contradictory added to it is the ear say information obtain from various unqualified sources.

The visa referred to by Alan is called "Skill Matching (Migrant) Class BR, subclass 134. This is an application to have one's details included on a data base which is perused by participating prospective employers (state or territory). There are no fees at the time of submission however, once an employer has selected an individual, he submits a nomination application to ASPC the applicant is notified and should the position be accepted, the fee then applies, this the "second installment" and as it stands today, the fee is AUD1845.00

The criteria for that visa are very similar to most other visas under the skill umbrella whereby it requires a skill's assessment by the appropriate authority, the occupation is listed and certainly the mandatory documentation submitted with the applicant's application including medicals, penal clearances and so on..., however, it is not points tested.

The applicant will remain on that list for 2 years.

When submitting an application for skill independent Sc 136 for example, it is always wise to be included on the skill matching data base just as a fall back.

I hope the above clarifies the situation.

Kind regards
Andre
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thumbs down Re: Do hairdressers need experience or does a qualification count?

Cheers Andre,
it does a little but what I can't understand is that you still need to have the TRA look at your quals if you want to be a Hairdresser. I would still have to work 2 years or is it 3? I have no idea now! I wont get my skills assessed by the TRA cos I haven't finished my qual until June this year but I do work in Hairdressing now and have a job.
It is all very confusing.
Lace ;(
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:34 am
Migration Agent

Andre,

The details and possibilities offered by Skills Matching visas aren't known by all migration agents ... and your answer isn't quite complete because a Skills Matching visa is an option where a State Nomination is secured from one of the participating State or Territory Governments (South Australia, Victoria, and Tasmania).

Where an intending applicant doesn't have a lot of recent work experience, and has an occupation that is likely to secure a State Nomination one strategy (and we have used this a few times) is therefore to obtain the skills assessment classification, secure a State Nomination, and then apply for a Skills Matching permanent residency visa.

I raise this as an option because the occupation of Hairdresser will most likely secure a State Nomination in the participating States noted above, and could therefore allow an application under the non points tested Skills Matching pathway, rather than a Skilled Independent application.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Best regards.

Hi Lacey,

The confusion expressed demonstrates the need to provide accurate and complete information when seeking advise, this is because Migration laws in Australia are convoluted, dynimic and some time contradictory added to it is the ear say information obtain from various unqualified sources.

The visa referred to by Alan is called "Skill Matching (Migrant) Class BR, subclass 134. This is an application to have one's details included on a data base which is perused by participating prospective employers (state or territory). There are no fees at the time of submission however, once an employer has selected an individual, he submits a nomination application to ASPC the applicant is notified and should the position be accepted, the fee then applies, this the "second installment" and as it stands today, the fee is AUD1845.00

The criteria for that visa are very similar to most other visas under the skill umbrella whereby it requires a skill's assessment by the appropriate authority, the occupation is listed and certainly the mandatory documentation submitted with the applicant's application including medicals, penal clearances and so on..., however, it is not points tested.

The applicant will remain on that list for 2 years.

When submitting an application for skill independent Sc 136 for example, it is always wise to be included on the skill matching data base just as a fall back.

I hope the above clarifies the situation.

Kind regards
Andre
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:36 am
Migration Agent

Lace,

Also, remember that the requirements for securing a positive skills assessment classification from TRA are entirely separate from the work experience requirements that pertain to the subsequent visa application ...

Best regards.

cheers
Lace
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Andre,

The details and possibilities offered by Skills Matching visas aren't known by all migration agents ... and your answer isn't quite complete because a Skills Matching visa is an option where a State Nomination is secured from one of the participating State or Territory Governments (South Australia, Victoria, and Tasmania).

Where an intending applicant doesn't have a lot of recent work experience, and has an occupation that is likely to secure a State Nomination one strategy (and we have used this a few times) is therefore to obtain the skills assessment classification, secure a State Nomination, and then apply for a Skills Matching permanent residency visa.

I raise this as an option because the occupation of Hairdresser will most likely secure a State Nomination in the participating States noted above, and could therefore allow an application under the non points tested Skills Matching pathway, rather than a Skilled Independent application.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Best regards.
Hi Alan,

The difference is that the nomination from the participating state does not need to be secured to submit an application for skill matching. Given the skill matching application does not attract a first installment, it is some time advantageous to submit and then hunt for a nominator.
The advantage in doing so is that participating nominators do peruse the data base as well as the applicant or his agent's approach. I have on occasion approached a state for prospective nomimnation and the same state, decided to go by the data base in lieu and picked my client anyway, this is because their left hand do'nt know what their right hand is doing must of the time furthermore, when acting for my client I always atempt to live no stone unturned.

As to the info been incomplete it is because this is sufficient info. to have a broad understanding of that visa and certainly appreciate it's intent.

Kind regards
Anbre
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 10:09 am
Migration Agent

Noted ... though I would generally encourage clients to pro-actively seek the State Nomination (with our assistance if required) before the Skills Matching application is submitted so they don't incur what are likely to be unnecessary time and costs putting together a visa application ... lodging a Skills Matching visa application and then seeking a State Nomination is (in my view) putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

Kind regards.

Hi Alan,

The difference is that the nomination from the participating state does not need to be secured to submit an application for skill matching. Given the skill matching application does not attract a first installment, it is some time advantageous to submit and then hunt for a nominator.
The advantage in doing so is that participating nominators do peruse the data base as well as the applicant or his agent's approach. I have on occasion approached a state for prospective nomimnation and the same state, decided to go by the data base in lieu and picked my client anyway, this is because their left hand do'nt know what their right hand is doing must of the time furthermore, when acting for my client I always atempt to live no stone unturned.

As to the info been incomplete it is because this is sufficient info. to have a broad understanding of that visa and certainly appreciate it's intent.

Kind regards
Anbre

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.