Distinguised Talent Visa?

Old Jun 3rd 2010, 5:07 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Distinguised Talent Visa?

Just to update this - my friend was successful in obtaining a talent visa. Suppose the BAFTA award helped after all and leaves for Oz in 12 days time!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 8:26 pm
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, good to know that BAFTA has that significance.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 9:54 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh George, even I could have told you that a BAFTA is a pretty big deal

Congrats OP to your friend...obviously her talent was neither disguised OR disused

Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

phillida is an unknown quantity at this point

On the subject of the Distinguished Talent Visa.
I am sincerley hoping that it works for me. Sent application beginning of Jan, received in Canberra on 6th Jan 2011.

I have been involved in ice skating for over 40yrs, skated Internationally for GB back in 1976,77, competed in Austria,Germany, Holland, France and UK, gaining creditable placings. Nationally I placed 3rd and was reserve for 1976 Olympics in Innsbruck. I then went on to skate for GB professionally coming 5th in the World Professional Ladies Championships, after which I then coached for 24 yrs. In 2005 I became an International judge for the sport and have judged for GB in Denmark, Italy, Austria and GB.

Along with my application I have forwarded press clippings, tv coverage and book publications on my career along with references from skaters high up in my sport i.e. Robin Cousins, Courtney Jones, and top Australian skaters. I have been offered a coaching position at 2 rinks in Brisbane with guaranteed income and the Queensland Skating Association are my nominators.

So do I stand a chance on this visa? would really like some input on this one as I have not used a migration agent, but done my homework and read and re read all documents.
Phillida in Beverley
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phillida
On the subject of the Distinguished Talent Visa.
I am sincerley hoping that it works for me. Sent application beginning of Jan, received in Canberra on 6th Jan 2011.

I have been involved in ice skating for over 40yrs, skated Internationally for GB back in 1976,77, competed in Austria,Germany, Holland, France and UK, gaining creditable placings. Nationally I placed 3rd and was reserve for 1976 Olympics in Innsbruck. I then went on to skate for GB professionally coming 5th in the World Professional Ladies Championships, after which I then coached for 24 yrs. In 2005 I became an International judge for the sport and have judged for GB in Denmark, Italy, Austria and GB.

Along with my application I have forwarded press clippings, tv coverage and book publications on my career along with references from skaters high up in my sport i.e. Robin Cousins, Courtney Jones, and top Australian skaters. I have been offered a coaching position at 2 rinks in Brisbane with guaranteed income and the Queensland Skating Association are my nominators.

So do I stand a chance on this visa? would really like some input on this one as I have not used a migration agent, but done my homework and read and re read all documents.
Phillida in Beverley
To be honest I shouldn't think there is anyone on here who can advise as it's a fairly rare visa type and the majority of people are skilled/spouse/temp. I can't think of anyone who's applied under this visa in the past few years. You sound more of an expert on this one than any of us. From what you've put though, I, as a complete ignoramus on this visa, it sounds like you've done your homework and got your application right.

Good luck.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
To be honest I shouldn't think there is anyone on here who can advise as it's a fairly rare visa type and the majority of people are skilled/spouse/temp. I can't think of anyone who's applied under this visa in the past few years. You sound more of an expert on this one than any of us. From what you've put though, I, as a complete ignoramus on this visa, it sounds like you've done your homework and got your application right.

Good luck.
Yep, from what I remember of this visa type the only people who post about it are those who hope to get it and then find they have no chance. Phillida is probably the most likely candidate for it that I've ever seen on here so for her!!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:26 am
Just Joined

phillida is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, from what I remember of this visa type the only people who post about it are those who hope to get it and then find they have no chance. Phillida is probably the most likely candidate for it that I've ever seen on here so for her!!
Thank you Pollyana for that.
Hopefully, yes I will have submitted sufficient proof of my International achievements to them to be accepted. The Queensland Ice Skating Association certainly want me there and have guaranteed my income too. I used to coach in Sydney years ago but that was under a work permitt as I was much younger of course, but really wish I'd stayed then I would n't be going through the hell of waiting to hear now!

Just wish I could actually find someone who did get in on this kind of visa to talk to.
Phillida
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a recent example, perhaps you could contact him? http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/ent...-talent-label/.

Also http://www.michaelwhite.com.au/

Michael White and a DIAC expert spoke on ABC Radio about this type of visa last year (17 June) http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2010/06/...m=702_mornings. I couldn't find the blog for that day, but maybe you could contact the ABC to see if you can obtain a copy.

Don't be shy about contacting people - Australia is a lot less formal than the UK.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:47 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Not that I don't love him immensely (him, not so much his music) but I'm still wondering how the hell George Michael ever sets foot in the country, never mind has a home here, bearing in mind all his, erm, "troubles". Does talent trump convictions?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matrisha
So then it would be a disused talent visa?
I know this is OT, but as I was driving by, I swear I read 'Disguised Talent' visa... I would be a sure 'in' for one of those!
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:46 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Not that I don't love him immensely (him, not so much his music) but I'm still wondering how the hell George Michael ever sets foot in the country, never mind has a home here, bearing in mind all his, erm, "troubles". Does talent trump convictions?
If they kept every entertainer out who has had a run in with the law for drink or drug offences they'd never have any concerts here, apart from that child from Canada and there ain't nothing distinguished about his 'talent'.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

JOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really niceJOE2010 is just really nice

My young sister has won an Olympic Gold medal in marathon (21k) and other international awards in track events, does that qualify her for a Distinguished Visa?
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JOE2010
My young sister has won an Olympic Gold medal in marathon (21k) and other international awards in track events, does that qualify her for a Distinguished Visa?
The marathon is around 42k, but in any case, start at http://www.immi.gov.au