DIMIA Confusion re: Bonus Points

Old Nov 4th 2002, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DIMIA Confusion re: Bonus Points

ok - here is the deal.

Skilled Independent, applied 07/03/02, received medical & Form 80 request last week.....no problems so far.

Also received a form stating that as per my Application, I now need to place $100k into a registered bank account etc etc to claim my Bonus 5 points.

There is the problem.

I am claiming 5 Bonus Points for working in my Skilled Occupation in Australia for 6mths of the last 4 years (actually, the last 18months !). Have tried emailing the Case Officer (direct mail address, and the generic adelaide one), and tried calling him today. Hasnt come back to me on any occassion.

Spoken to a girl i know who used to be an Immigration Agent, apparently their system is a Windows drop down tick box thingey, and when they see "Claiming for Bonus Points", its pot luck which one gets entered on the system !

Question - do i just keep harrassing the hell out of this case officer, do i write to him further, what do i do ? Scheduled to get the medicals done next monday in melbourne, but loath to spend $500 if its a waste of time.

any ideas ?
Old Nov 4th 2002, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

mxqth is an unknown quantity at this point

Get an agent!
I guess you can afford one
Old Nov 4th 2002, 2:38 pm
George Lombard

Default Re: DIMIA Confusion re: Bonus Points

Dear S or G,

You can only claim the bonus points once, so write to them saying you won't
now be doing the statutory deposit because you have points for Australian
work experience. If this stuffs up your point tally, option 2 is to get
your employer to sponsor you. But the way to deal with Adelaide is
definitely in writing. Letter/email/fax should all do the trick (but if
using email and a read receipt don't expect them to actually read it,
another client has had a very sad experience with relying on such receipts).

cheers

George Lombard
--
www.austimmigration.com.au

"stay or go ?" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > ok - here is the deal.
    > Skilled Independent, applied 07/03/02, received medical & Form 80
    > request last week.....no problems so far.
    > Also received a form stating that as per my Application, I now need
    > to place $100k into a registered bank account etc etc to claim my
    > Bonus 5 points.
    > There is the problem.
    > I am claiming 5 Bonus Points for working in my Skilled Occupation in
    > Australia for 6mths of the last 4 years (actually, the last 18months !).
    > Have tried emailing the Case Officer (direct mail address, and the
    > generic adelaide one), and tried calling him today. Hasnt come back to
    > me on any occassion.
    > Spoken to a girl i know who used to be an Immigration Agent,
    > apparently their system is a Windows drop down tick box thingey, and
    > when they see "Claiming for Bonus Points", its pot luck which one gets
    > entered on the system !
    > Question - do i just keep harrassing the hell out of this case officer,
    > do i write to him further, what do i do ? Scheduled to get the
    > medicals done next monday in melbourne, but loath to spend $500 if its
    > a waste of time.
    > any ideas ?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 4th 2002, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

thanks george - the issue is that i never claimed the bonus points using the $100k thing in the first place. it is an assumption that Adelaide have made. i have checked through every piece of correspondance i have sent them, and at no stage did i ever make reference to putting $100k over to them, though I did tick the Bonus Points box.

3 emails sent, i am calling today, and if still no joy, then a fax and a registered mail letter all go over to them.

cheers

p.s - whoever it was that suggested getting an agent, thanks - constructive advice.
Old Nov 5th 2002, 9:41 am
George Lombard

Default Re: DIMIA Confusion re: Bonus Points

Dear S or G,

Call my office if you like, we are following up all our stale cases with
Adelaide at the moment as it seems there are some staffing issues there and
a polite prod can get results. One more on our list of cases to follow up
won't make a difference.

Cheers

George Lombard

"stay or go ?" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > thanks george - the issue is that i never claimed the bonus points using
    > the $100k thing in the first place. it is an assumption that Adelaide
    > have made. i have checked through every piece of correspondance i have
    > sent them, and at no stage did i ever make reference to putting $100k
    > over to them, though I did tick the Bonus Points box.
    > 3 emails sent, i am calling today, and if still no joy, then a fax and a
    > registered mail letter all go over to them.
    > cheers
    > p.s - whoever it was that suggested getting an agent, thanks -
    > constructive advice.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Nov 5th 2002, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

hi george,

i pre-empted you, and sat on hold for 30minutes yesterday until i got the case officer. get this - i had sent 3 emails and left 2 messages, and it STILL took 3 explainations to get the point across to the case officer. not very convincing seeing as it is these people adjudicating my suitability to stay in this country !

i will take you up on that offer if i get no acknowledgement in the next week or so if thats ok - however, i finished the conversation leaving very little doubt in the case officers mind as to what the score was.

to coin an australian phrase - "bloody idiots" !

cheers
Old Nov 5th 2002, 7:44 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi george,

can i jump on the band wagon a bit.??..cheeky i know...

you mention stale cases....
well i applied skilled independent 20th july this yr to adelaide...not necessarily stale really i know...
... i claimed 5 points from hubbies skill. he is joiner ..i am nurse (main applicant)

i know we shouldnt compare cases but seeing as its now 3 1/2 months and i have only received acknowledgment to date ...and am supposed to be being fast tracked!!!...do you think i am worrying over nothing? some people who applied way after me have been asked for medicals already.
i have done police clearance checks and got them back. i am also now registered with WA nursing board. i am hanging onto this info till i send medicals off and they can all go together.
should i email adelaide??...does anyone have the email address??...

OR seeing as we cant go till next year..just wait and stop being impatient ( god knows how those of you cope with not knowing for 20 months etc).....

what do you think goerge ...jaj or alan

thanks for the advice
Old Nov 5th 2002, 9:21 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Yvonne.

I would do as stayorgo has done - get on the telephone to DIMIA and find out what is going on with your application. Fast tracking should mean exactly that.

Contact details for the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre are here:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=89

Alternatively I'll be happy to get on your case if you are interested ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by yvsie
hi george,

can i jump on the band wagon a bit.??..cheeky i know...

you mention stale cases....
well i applied skilled independent 20th july this yr to adelaide...not necessarily stale really i know...
... i claimed 5 points from hubbies skill. he is joiner ..i am nurse (main applicant)

i know we shouldnt compare cases but seeing as its now 3 1/2 months and i have only received acknowledgment to date ...and am supposed to be being fast tracked!!!...do you think i am worrying over nothing? some people who applied way after me have been asked for medicals already.
i have done police clearance checks and got them back. i am also now registered with WA nursing board. i am hanging onto this info till i send medicals off and they can all go together.
should i email adelaide??...does anyone have the email address??...

OR seeing as we cant go till next year..just wait and stop being impatient ( god knows how those of you cope with not knowing for 20 months etc).....

what do you think goerge ...jaj or alan

thanks for the advice
Old Nov 5th 2002, 9:35 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi alan,

i'll try to contact them and if no joy i might take you up on your offer...

thanks
Old Nov 5th 2002, 9:53 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

OK - try to call them now ... it's 0925 in Adelaide as I type this.

Best regards.

hi alan,

i'll try to contact them and if no joy i might take you up on your offer...

thanks
Old Nov 5th 2002, 9:58 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

ok i will just do that...although ive had a couple of drinks...hehe

thanks
Old Nov 5th 2002, 10:08 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

hi alan,

i emailed them first...
then i phoned them.
a woman said that they will track my application and then contact me by letter as soon as they know what is happening.
how long do you think i should expect to wait for a reply?????
Old Nov 5th 2002, 10:16 pm
Migration Agent

Well personally I would have asked them to send me an email later today to let me know what is going on seeing as how your application is supposed to be fast tracked.

The trouble with advising you by post when you are in the UK is that is will be at least a week before you know anything ...

Best regards.

hi alan,

i emailed them first...
then i phoned them.
a woman said that they will track my application and then contact me by letter as soon as they know what is happening.
how long do you think i should expect to wait for a reply?????
Old Nov 5th 2002, 10:27 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

hi,

ive sent another email just now...explaining that i want the info asap by email...today......hope this works!!!!!

thanks a lot for your help