British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Diesel Mechnc wants to move to Aus HELP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/diesel-mechnc-wants-move-aus-help-782073/)

tumz Jan 1st 2013 12:22 pm

Diesel Mechnc wants to move to Aus HELP

I am a fully qualified diesel mechanic I want to move to Aus, Are there people out there that have done this and what is the best route to take? Should I apply for these jobs that offer Visa's? Or should I get my own visa? And what does a skilled visa cost? Do I need to use a immigration agency?

newjersey Jan 1st 2013 12:48 pm

Re: Diesel Mechnc wants to move to Aus HELP

Originally Posted by tumz (Post 10458155)
I am a fully qualified diesel mechanic I want to move to Aus, Are there people out there that have done this and what is the best route to take? Should I apply for these jobs that offer Visa's? Or should I get my own visa? And what does a skilled visa cost? Do I need to use a immigration agency?

Hi and welcome to BE. you can certainly do this without an agent, if your case is relatively straight forward, but if you are not so good with forms or have some complicated employment history or past character issues or child custody to be arranged, a good MARA registered agent is a must.

as far as what you could go for, try reading skillselect part of the immi.gov.au, see if the job is listed for any kind of visa and if you can qualify for one. Not everyone is eligible, unfortunately.

It goes without saying that independent permanent visa is the best option there is, because you won't be tied to any place or employer. Sponsored visas come with one or the other kind of a hook. Temp visas expire and not all of them have a clear cut pathway to anything permanent. So I suggest you do some reading first to get yourself up to scratch with terminology and write a bit more about your plans for us here to help.

tumz Jan 1st 2013 1:20 pm

I think the visa I am looking for is the 457 . But I was wondering if anyone has gone the route of sponsored VISA and how it is working down there. And if they could suggest a possible route for me to take to accomplish my goal. I will look into getting my own VISA but I am trying to keep costs down as companies will pay for relocations visa ect

steve`o Jan 2nd 2013 3:59 am

Originally Posted by tumz (Post 10458202)
I think the visa I am looking for is the 457 . But I was wondering if anyone has gone the route of sponsored VISA and how it is working down there. And if they could suggest a possible route for me to take to accomplish my goal. I will look into getting my own VISA but I am trying to keep costs down as companies will pay for relocations visa ect

try looking art the mining sector they are screaming out for diesel mechanics and fitters

louie Jan 2nd 2013 12:32 pm

457 is a temporary employer-sponsored visa, so if you want to stay permanently, you either need to think again or make sure there a pathway from 457 to permanent residence.

tumz Jan 2nd 2013 6:24 pm

I don't want to stay there permanently

tumz Jan 2nd 2013 6:25 pm

Was thinking a year only

hoss576 Jan 6th 2013 11:54 am

How old are you? If you only want to stay for a year then think about a working holiday visa.