Wikiposts

DIA and embassy: Lost of Citizenship

Old Feb 2nd 2003, 12:51 pm
Banned

cobatry1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DIA and embassy: Lost of Citizenship

Hi all,

Currently, my country of origin does not allow me to have dual nationality.
Will DIA (NZ) notify the embassy before granting NZ citizenship to me?
Is there any relations between DIA and respected embassy, during the process of citizenship application?

Thanks in advance.
Cob.
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont think they do, I know a few South Africans over here in NZ, one of whom has three passports - SA/NZ/UK (lucky bugger!) & he's still got his SA citizenship/passport. Apparently South Africa does not allow it's citizens to have dual nationality & can ask you to decide which citizenship you want to keep should they find out you're a dual national. I want to stress that this is only what I've heard from someone else so you should not take this as being completely accurate. In something as important as this you would be better seeking professional advice.

When you apply for NZ citizenship, the declaration that you sign on the last page includes a warning " I am aware that becoming a New Zealand Citizen may affect my existing citizenship" - obviously you should think very carefully about the consequences if your first citizenship was revoked & you wanted to return home. A better alternative might be to get an Indefinite Returning Residents Visa. You would need to have NZ PR & have lived in NZ for a minimum of 184 days in each year for 2 years before being eligible for an indefinite RRV. This way you could preserve your existing citizenship and retain the ability to live in NZ.

The only real benefit of having a NZ passport is that you can reside in Australia (but even then you're classed as a temporary resident).
Old Feb 2nd 2003, 8:37 pm
UDS
Forum Regular

UDS is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful.

There are two possibilities here. One is that the law of your home country provides for automatic loss of citizenship if you are naturalised in another country. If that is so you will cease to be a citizen of your home country, even if the authorities don't find out about it and continue to treat you as a citizen for a time. In order to extend this as long as possible (assuming you want to) you will have to lie, e.g. when renewing your passport, and when eventually the whole thing comes to light you may have the added problem not merely of losing your citizenship but of having mislead your government over it, which could cause problems should you ever wish to revert to your original citizenship.

The other possibility is simply that the law of your home country allows the government to withdraw citizenship, should you take out citizenship elsewhere. If this is the case, you should research what their practice is - whether they actually withdraw citizenship may depend on what other country you become a citizen of, or the circumstances in which you do so.

If your home country citizenship matters to you, my advice would be not to do anything which jeopardises it, and certainly not to put yourself in a position where you lose it, and have to lie to make people think you still have it.
Old Feb 4th 2003, 1:07 am
Jaj

Default Re: DIA and embassy: Lost of Citizenship

What is your country of origin?

Jeremy

>On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 01:51:46 +0000, cobatry1 wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >Currently, my country of origin does not allow me to have dual
    >nationality.
    >Will DIA (NZ) notify the embassy before granting NZ citizenship to me?
    >Is there any relations between DIA and respected embassy, during the
    >process of citizenship application?
    >Thanks in advance.
    >Cob.
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

This is not intended to be legal advice in any jurisdiction