Desperate to move to Australia

Old Jan 8th 2013, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

P33sh is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Desperate to move to Australia

I went on a working holiday to Australia last year. I'm desperate to go back, but I can't get another working holiday visa I have a degree in journalism, but I have never been a journalist. I don't want to be a journalist anymore, and I don't think anyone would give me a job as a journalist anymore as I graduated a few years back. I worked in marketing and communications for a year and a half, but I was made redundant. I have been doing administration jobs ever since. Employers seem to be reluctant to offer me a marketing and communications job now because I have been in admin jobs for the past four years. I'm trying to figure out a way of getting back to Australia. I can't afford to go to university again. Has anyone got any advice/suggestions?

Thanks
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:19 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperate to move to Australia

Originally Posted by P33sh
I went on a working holiday to Australia last year. I'm desperate to go back, but I can't get another working holiday visa I have a degree in journalism, but I have never been a journalist. I don't want to be a journalist anymore, and I don't think anyone would give me a job as a journalist anymore as I graduated a few years back. I worked in marketing and communications for a year and a half, but I was made redundant. I have been doing administration jobs ever since. Employers seem to be reluctant to offer me a marketing and communications job now because I have been in admin jobs for the past four years. I'm trying to figure out a way of getting back to Australia. I can't afford to go to university again. Has anyone got any advice/suggestions?

Thanks
Hi P33sh and welcome to BE.

If you don't want to be a journalist, what do you want to do?

If you are still young enough to retrain in a different area, there are alternatives to university.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

I want to get back into a marketing communications role. Ideally, I want to be managing online content. I'm nearly 28. Thanks for your response.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 11:17 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I want to get back into a marketing communications role. Ideally, I want to be managing online content. I'm nearly 28. Thanks for your response.
Hi P33sh,

I had a quick look at the CSOL and couldn't see what skill you would fit into other than the journalist, and that is on schedule 2 which would mean state or employer sponsorship. you would have to have a look at the state migration plans to see if any state was sponsoring journalists. If you could find a sponsor as a journalist, you do not have to necessarily do that job once you get to Australia. Otherwise, have a look at the CSOL and see if any of the skills are similar to what you enjoy / want to do, and if so, what you would need to do to get a favourable skills assessment.

Just remember, not everyone will be able to migrate, and you may have to settle for holidaying only.

Good luck
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much for looking.

Wouldn't I get into trouble if I got sponsored as a journalist and then didn't work as one?
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't I get into trouble if I got sponsored as a journalist and then didn't work as one?
Not if you are State Sponsored. That means you have to live and work in that State for 2 years, but you can work as whatever you like.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you went on skilled migrant visa, however having a degree in journalism but n experience might rule that out anyway. I will have a look for you later, on phone at moment.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Pollyana.

Where can I find information on state sponsorship? I tried google, but I couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2013, 7:33 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Pollyana.

Where can I find information on state sponsorship? I tried google, but I couldn't find the info I was looking for.

Thanks
http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-190/

Each State also has a website, search for "State Sponsorship Queensland" for instance. Some links here might help too
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skills.../subclass-190/

Each State also has a website, search for "State Sponsorship Queensland" for instance. Some links here might help too
Thanks for that
Old Jan 9th 2013, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Pollyana.

Thanks
Journalism isn't going to by your way in. I have checked the skills assessment criteria on the vetassess website and you need a least 1 year of work experience a a journalist.

I have also checked most of the state sponsorship lists and it was not on any of them anyway.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

pomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of lightpomerz is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Poly
Without wishing to muddy the waters we were told that the state sponsorship was a moral obligation and not a legal precident by a respected agent. That you could fly in stamp the passport and depart for another state.

Of course we didnt do that or consider it and are firmly rooted here for life.

We did contact the Imigration guys after a year forgetting that we should have done this on arrival and the very nice lady there said thanks for the call as many dont! She also said we probably wouldnt hear from them again as there were so many cases they simply didnt have the time to follow all cases up

2 years 2 weeks later we are free but wont be moving ty very much

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not if you are State Sponsored. That means you have to live and work in that State for 2 years, but you can work as whatever you like.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 1:14 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by pomerz
Hi Poly
Without wishing to muddy the waters we were told that the state sponsorship was a moral obligation and not a legal precident by a respected agent. That you could fly in stamp the passport and depart for another state.

Of course we didnt do that or consider it and are firmly rooted here for life.

We did contact the Imigration guys after a year forgetting that we should have done this on arrival and the very nice lady there said thanks for the call as many dont! She also said we probably wouldnt hear from them again as there were so many cases they simply didnt have the time to follow all cases up

2 years 2 weeks later we are free but wont be moving ty very much
I am well aware that it is a moral not a legal obligation. I answer several posts a week on here from people who either get here and move instantly, or even plan never to set foot in the sponsoring State.
This week we had so many I combined them all into one thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782224

From a purely personal point of view I see planning to move States and breach the agreement as wrong. When you take up one of the limited places available in a State Sponsorship you should make every attempt possible to abide by the rules. If you really can't find work then the sponsoring State will usually release you. However if you never intend to honour the agreement all you are doing is getting a visa under false pretences, stating you are committed to living somewhere when you have no intention of doing so. That visa could have gone to someone else who actually wanted to live in that State.

If a poster asks about the obligation in more detail I always point out it is a moral one not a legal one. I do not see why I should volunteer the information unless asked.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, everyone. My chances aren't looking too great at the moment. I don't want to be a journalist. I want to get a marketing communications role.