Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Designated Area Sponsored (139) visa class to be scrapped?

Wikiposts

Designated Area Sponsored (139) visa class to be scrapped?

Old Nov 14th 2005, 6:53 pm
Hypertokyo

Default Designated Area Sponsored (139) visa class to be scrapped?

Hi, I've gone a fair bit in preparing for the Designated Area Sponsored
(139) visa class, including taking my IELTS, but have heard recently
that this type of visa is going to be changed or reclassified in 2006?
Can anyone elaborate on what changes will take effect and when?
Will I still be able to get sponsored by my cousin in Melbourne?

Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:16 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Designated Area Sponsored (139) visa class to be scrapped?

Originally Posted by Hypertokyo
Hi, I've gone a fair bit in preparing for the Designated Area Sponsored
(139) visa class, including taking my IELTS, but have heard recently
that this type of visa is going to be changed or reclassified in 2006?
Can anyone elaborate on what changes will take effect and when?
Will I still be able to get sponsored by my cousin in Melbourne?
This has been discussed this at length on here... they are looking to replace the 139 visa with a new temporary visa, similar to the SIR visa. If this is the case you may have to live in the exact area as your sponsor for up to 3 years before become PR.

DIMIA announced earlier this year that this will probably be in effect from July 2006.

Claire
x
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Note that the 138 subclass (Skilled Australian Sponsored) visa will still be available and so if you can meet the 110 point pass mark for that visa subclass you might be better off going for that one. I believe that because these are "related" visa types that when you apply for a 139 you are also applying for a 138 visa. The main advantage of the 139 is that there is no points test and that it supposedly gets priority processing in DIMIA. If you will be applying well before the rumored July date then you might be OK, but if you can get to 110 points for the 138 then that would be the safer bet.

Cheers,
Brian

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
This has been discussed this at length on here... they are looking to replace the 139 visa with a new temporary visa, similar to the SIR visa. If this is the case you may have to live in the exact area as your sponsor for up to 3 years before become PR.

DIMIA announced earlier this year that this will probably be in effect from July 2006.

Claire
x
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to alllisa and greg is a name known to all
Unhappy Re: Designated Area Sponsored (139) visa class to be scrapped?

That's just my luck!!

I have just sent my 3rd attempt for qualifications assessment off to Vetassess (after doing yet another training course) and now the scrapping of the 139 visa :-(. Can this migrating lark get anymore difficult or stressful.

Hopefully we can get the go ahead from Vetassess and apply to DIMIA before July.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian0
Note that the 138 subclass (Skilled Australian Sponsored) visa will still be available and so if you can meet the 110 point pass mark for that visa subclass you might be better off going for that one. I believe that because these are "related" visa types that when you apply for a 139 you are also applying for a 138 visa. The main advantage of the 139 is that there is no points test and that it supposedly gets priority processing in DIMIA. If you will be applying well before the rumored July date then you might be OK, but if you can get to 110 points for the 138 then that would be the safer bet.

Cheers,
Brian
Good point about 138 as many 139ers couls also meet the 138 criteria - but not in this case as 1st cousins can not sponsor for 138.

Tony
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshtony
Good point about 138 as many 139ers couls also meet the 138 criteria - but not in this case as 1st cousins can not sponsor for 138.

Tony
I didnt know that about cousins, where would I find a list of who can sponsor for a 138? we will be looking for dual eligibility 139 and 138. Cheers
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
I didnt know that about cousins, where would I find a list of who can sponsor for a 138? we will be looking for dual eligibility 139 and 138. Cheers

I'd suggest the Skilled Migration Booklet as the first place to find a list.

Jeremy
Old Nov 15th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'd suggest the Skilled Migration Booklet as the first place to find a list.

Jeremy
as always
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

You are correct Tony, I didn't notice the cousin bit in the original post.

Originally Posted by welshtony

Tony
Old Nov 16th 2005, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CathnPaul
Yes, as Jeremy says, the Skilled Migration Booklet 6, new version November 2005.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

This incorporates changes that came in on 01 November that now allows nephews and nieces to sponsor their uncles and aunts for 138 and 139 visa. Extra sponsor relationships allowed for 139, as oppose to 138, are 1st Cousins and garndparents sponsoring grand-children .

Regards

Tony