Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Deported from U.S. will I be able to apply for Australian visa?

Deported from U.S. will I be able to apply for Australian visa?

Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

ybird80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Deported from U.S. will I be able to apply for Australian visa?

I am currently a serving Cheshire police officer in the UK and I want to transfer to South Australia police.
Between November 2000 to May 2003 I overstayed on the US visa waiver programme. I left the US of my own accord in May 2003 returning home to the UK.
In December 2008 I returned to the US to do Christmas shopping to be told I could not enter and was deported with a 10 year ban.

What I need to know will this affect my application to SAP and my chance of immigrating to Australia?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deported from U.S. will I be able to apply for Australian visa?

Australia obviously have no connection to the US so it should have no bearing. You will be asked in your application if you've had other visas and you will have to be honest about the circumstances but it's unlikely to cause a refusal as far as I'm aware.
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:31 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Australia obviously have no connection to the US so it should have no bearing. You will be asked in your application if you've had other visas and you will have to be honest about the circumstances but it's unlikely to cause a refusal as far as I'm aware.
The application also asks whether you have every been deported or denied a visa to any other country though. So he will have to explain and it may have some impact on his application - not to mention his police application. Does SAPOL want applicants who knowingly break other countries' laws?
Old Mar 31st 2012, 11:32 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It could also mean failing the character test.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

My husband overstayed his oz holiday visa by 10 months back in 1999 and was banned for three years. We were totally honest about it and have had no problems getting two different temp visas. They can see you are trying to do it right this time, so just be honest.
Old Apr 1st 2012, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ybird80
I am currently a serving Cheshire police officer in the UK and I want to transfer to South Australia police.
According to the SA Police recruitment website, they're not currently recruiting from the UK.

And to otherwise apply, you need to be an Australian Citizen, hold permanent residency, or hold New Zealand citizenship.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:42 am
Just Joined

tooz2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ybird80
Between November 2000 to May 2003 I overstayed on the US visa waiver programme. I left the US of my own accord in May 2003 returning home to the UK.
In December 2008 I returned to the US to do Christmas shopping to be told I could not enter and was deported with a 10 year ban.

What I need to know will this affect my application to SAP and my chance of immigrating to Australia?
I don't think that is considered as deported. As far as I know, deportation needs a court order of some sorts.

This is "refused entry", which is less severe, IMO.

Like other said, be honest in your application and I don't think it will be a problem. US being a Schengen country, I think it may likely show up on your record so it's better they hear the full story from you. Good luck!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooz2012
US being a Schengen country
I didn't realise that the US was now in Europe...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:37 am
Just Joined

tooz2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I didn't realise that the US was now in Europe...
My bad! I was referring to VWP of the US

What is the likelihood of a US ban showing up in VWP eligible countries?
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

H2fusion is an unknown quantity at this point

Just dont' worry about if you are honest with the DIAC. Be honest and mention about it. I have a friend who applied for a permanent visa while being undocumented in the US. He was granted the PR in Australia. Each VWP country carries out its rules in its own way. All I can say is that just be honest.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 9:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooz2012
My bad! I was referring to VWP of the US

What is the likelihood of a US ban showing up in VWP eligible countries?
Doesn't matter whether its likely to show up or not, one should tell the truth about it anyway.