British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Dependent Parent (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/dependent-parent-781595/)

Sylvia.Michael Dec 26th 2012 6:26 am

Dependent Parent

Hi there. i'm pretty new to these forum and i really find it helpful :)
I have a question (if anyone could help please do). i am applying to skilled immigration visa to Australia (189). i received an invitation after EOI. i am married and have 2 kids (i believe i can add them to my visa request smoothly). what i really need to ask is about my mother. she has the following circumstances:
1. she is a widow for about 25 yrs now.
2. she lives in my house (her id address is mine)
3. i have no brothers or sisters.
4. she had only one sister and died last year
she has pension but actually she financially depends on me but i really have no documents to state so. how can i provide the financial dependency proof???
I really need help in this issue as i cannot leave the country and leave her homeless and with no one.

Pollyana Dec 26th 2012 8:37 am

Re: Dependent Parent

Originally Posted by Sylvia.Michael (Post 10450562)
Hi there. i'm pretty new to these forum and i really find it helpful :)
I have a question (if anyone could help please do). i am applying to skilled immigration visa to Australia (189). i received an invitation after EOI. i am married and have 2 kids (i believe i can add them to my visa request smoothly). what i really need to ask is about my mother. she has the following circumstances:
1. she is a widow for about 25 yrs now.
2. she lives in my house (her id address is mine)
3. i have no brothers or sisters.
4. she had only one sister and died last year
she has pension but actually she financially depends on me but i really have no documents to state so. how can i provide the financial dependency proof???
I really need help in this issue as i cannot leave the country and leave her homeless and with no one.

Are you from the UK or another country that provides a state pension/welfare support form your mother? If so you have almost no chance of including her.
If she really has no other means of support then you may be able to include her as a dependent but you will need to prove that you support her financially - bank statements etc.

Sylvia.Michael Dec 26th 2012 8:43 am

Thanks Pollyana for your reply. I am from Egypt and my mother has a state pension yet it doesn't cover her expenses specially if she tried to rent an apartment.
I pay her visa expenses monthly. Do you think i can add her?

newjersey Dec 26th 2012 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sylvia.Michael (Post 10450658)
Thanks Pollyana for your reply. I am from Egypt and my mother has a state pension yet it doesn't cover her expenses specially if she tried to rent an apartment.

you can add her, but if that would be considered acceptable by DIAC is anyone's guess. Generally speaking, economic reasons are not a substitute for not meeting an eligibility criterion, such as that, pension is not enough to live on independently. DIAC does not get involved in merits of what "enough" is. Your best chance is to discuss this with a MARA registered agent, and expect to pay a fee for the service.

Bermudashorts Dec 26th 2012 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Sylvia.Michael (Post 10450658)

None of us can say definitively what would happen, we do not come across this situation very often because Brits cannot add parents to visa applications as dependents. The reason we cannot is because the UK has a welfare system and pays pensions to retirees. Possibly you would have the same situation.

You could either apply and see what happens, however if you are not successful and you would not go without her then you could waste a visa fee. So the better option would be to consult a migration agent.

Sylvia.Michael Dec 27th 2012 6:09 am

Thanks very much.
What concerns me really is that aside the visa fees, i shall pay for her >4000AUD for her addition on my visa application (as her english level will not meet the required one). i don't know if this amount of money will be paid before her acceptance and if she was refused will this money be refundable or not.

TeeTMI Dec 27th 2012 11:12 pm

The secondary application charge, for adults with less functional English, would be requested after a decision to approve an applicant had been made, and immediately before the grant of a visa.

Sylvia.Michael Dec 28th 2012 7:24 am

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP :D:D Merry christmas