British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Dentist - ADC Process v. Dept of Imm Process (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/dentist-adc-process-v-dept-imm-process-779769/)

Ash69 Dec 6th 2012 2:19 am

Dentist - ADC Process v. Dept of Imm Process

Hi All,

Appreciate any insights on this topic. My wife is a dentist and we are thinking about immigrating to Australia (my occupation is not on the SOL/CSOL).

We're a little unclear on timing and sequencing:

1) ADC (Australia Dental Council): has four steps an overseas dentist must complete prior to being eligible for registration/licensure to practice: (1) Initial Assessment ~8 weeks from submission of docs; (2) English Language Test; (3) Preliminary (written) exam*; (4) Final (clinical) exam. [* Per the ADC website, the next date for doing this is in March '13, but the one after that will only be in early 2014].

2) Dept of IMM Process (GSM): I know there are numerous classes/sub-classes, but the gist of the SkillSelect seems to be that for dentists, before you can file an Expression of Interest (EOI), you have to have the English test results and a satisfactory outcome of the ADC's initial assessment.

My question is the following: assuming my wife files the EOI based on satisfactory English test results and satisfactory ADC assessment, will the Dept of Imm process continue as with any other application, or will it essentially put the application on "hold" until my wife completes the Preliminary (written) application - which will only be 2014 at the earliest?

Concerned about this b/c it if the latter it would clearly add a lot of time to the overall processing time.

Appreciate your views/thoughts.

Cheers,

Ash

newjersey Dec 6th 2012 5:30 pm

Re: Dentist - ADC Process v. Dept of Imm Process

Hi and welcome to the forum. Lots if info here, but I can't remember many dentists crossing this nook of the woods, so you may try using our search facility. If you run into any issues with the site give one of the concierges or Mods a shout and we will be glad to help.

AFAIK, lawyers have to pass all the exams and get a registration before becoming eligible for migration - there is no "assessment result" as such, once you are licensed, you become eligible for migration. May be the same for dentists, or it may be so that you could file a EOI right after step 1.

I had a look at the procedure and it appears that they do not give a direct answer to your question and bounce it back to the DIAC. DIAC clearly says it's not theirs, they rely on the assessing authorities to complete the assessment and do not get involved in the process. Have you tried talking to a MARA registered agent, most offer a free initial consultation.

Ash69 Dec 7th 2012 2:02 am

Hi nj,

thanks for your reply. I did do a quick scan of the forum postings, and there are some posts re: dentists, though not on this particular issue (though I should do a deeper search). One thing is that ADC used to offer the Preliminary (written) exam twice a year, but they're changing the system, so in 2013 there will be only 1 exam in March (Dec 1st was the deadline for applying to do this).

As it turns out, we're visiting some friends in Oz over Xmas-New Year's, and I plan to have a consultation with a MARA-registered law firm when down there. (if anyone reading this who has used a firm/agent in the Melbourne area and has a positive recommendation, referrals welcome).

many thanks,

Ash

Pollyana Dec 7th 2012 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Ash69 (Post 10420496)
Hi nj,

thanks for your reply. I did do a quick scan of the forum postings, and there are some posts re: dentists, though not on this particular issue (though I should do a deeper search). One thing is that ADC used to offer the Preliminary (written) exam twice a year, but they're changing the system, so in 2013 there will be only 1 exam in March (Dec 1st was the deadline for applying to do this).

As it turns out, we're visiting some friends in Oz over Xmas-New Year's, and I plan to have a consultation with a MARA-registered law firm when down there. (if anyone reading this who has used a firm/agent in the Melbourne area and has a positive recommendation, referrals welcome).

many thanks,

Ash

Have a look for Alan Collett of Go Matilda. Posts on here and has offices in Melbourne.

Ash69 Dec 7th 2012 9:05 am

tks pollyana

Somudra Dec 24th 2012 5:03 pm

Your wife needs to pass the ADC clinical part as well. Once passed, ADC will issue a certificate. With that certificate your wife needs to get registered with the AHPRA. Only then she will be able to apply for the PR as a Dentist.
in the first step ADC assesses qualification and eligibility for sitting the ADC exams, its not assessment for migration at all.
My wife is also an Overseas dentist, I am very much aware of this procedure.

Ash69 Dec 25th 2012 1:31 am

Hi Somudra,

Yes, aware that the ADC initial assessment is for determining eligibility for sitting for the ADC exams (and not elig for immigration). Aus Immigration requires a positive outcome of this assessment, together with the English test results, in order for one to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to be considered for GSM.

But you seem to imply something different - that she would need to complete *all* steps of the ADC process - i.e., ~1-week clinical/viva voce exams, obtaining the certificiate and getting registered with AHPRA prior to even *applying* for immigration (?)

Somudra Dec 25th 2012 8:14 am

Yes, she needs to complete all the steps to be eligible for migration.