British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Delay entry for offshore visa applicant (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/delay-entry-offshore-visa-applicant-848554/)

joelaa8 Dec 10th 2014 1:12 am

Delay entry for offshore visa applicant

Hi everyone,

I have lodged an application for 190 visa (state nomination) offshore few months ago. May I know the latest date to enter AUS if the visa is granted? Is there a possibility to delay the entry to AUS for 190 visa (as my dad has just been diagnosed with terminally ill disease and I'm afraid I can't enter AUS and stay in nominated state for the first 2 years). Any advice on this regard? :( Should I write to DIAC or the state to request for a delay entry?

Bermudashorts Dec 10th 2014 1:17 am

Re: Delay entry for offshore visa applicant

Originally Posted by joelaa8 (Post 11497761)
Hi everyone,

I have lodged an application for 190 visa (state nomination) offshore few months ago. May I know the latest date to enter AUS if the visa is granted? Is there a possibility to delay the entry to AUS for 190 visa (as my dad has just been diagnosed with terminally ill disease and I'm afraid I can't enter AUS and stay in nominated state for the first 2 years). Any advice on this regard? :( Should I write to DIAC or the state to request for a delay entry?

It will be whatever your visa grant says, typically 12 months from the date of your medicals or police checks.

It is VERY unusual to get a delayed entry, I don't think I have ever seen it. I very much doubt that a poorly father is going to swing it, this is something most migrants have to face at some time.

You can just fly in and fly back out again later that day.

rammygirl Dec 10th 2014 1:48 am

You don't need to stay and settle, just make first entry. This validates visa then you have 5 years from grant in which to settle. The two years is not compulsory on that visa within those 5. It just helps if you want to apply for a resident return visa.

joelaa8 Dec 10th 2014 1:50 am

If I just fly in and fly back out again later, will this has any impact on the 190 visa?

TeeTMI Dec 10th 2014 1:50 am

Awful news for you with your fathers illness.

When granted your 190 you will be provided with a date by which you must 'validate' your visa. This date will generally be 12 months after the first of either your medicals or police clearance reports. To validate your visa you must visit Australia however you can leave again.
Your visa will then generally be valid for 5 years from the date it was issued and you can return at any point during its validity. There are benefits for returning sooner than later relating to a subsequent visa.

rammygirl Dec 10th 2014 2:13 am

It is tough and something we all have to face moving so far away. Between us we only have one parent left and he is now getting frail. A trip back every year is planned but we know it will be hard when he inevitably becomes worse. All we can do is ensure we have the funds for a quick flight back.

Having said that not being there at the end happened to me when I lived in the UK.
I do feel for you.

Dorothy Dec 10th 2014 2:39 am

Originally Posted by joelaa8 (Post 11497787)
If I just fly in and fly back out again later, will this has any impact on the 190 visa?

No.