Degree or experience?

Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

blueberries is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Degree or experience?

Hello everyone,

We have decided to move to Australia and have checked what could be our options. The visa 190 or 489 seem to be ok for us. My husband's job matches the Technical sales Industrial (nec) Ancsco 225499.

However, there is a slight problem, he does not have any degree, but the Anzco website states that "at least 5 years experience may substitute for the formal qualification". Has anyone managed to secure an interview in these circumstances.

We were also thinking that he could study for a degree, but his job is only wanted (high demand though) in one state (SA). Can his job disappear from the CSOL list after, let's say 1-2 years?

And finally, there is me. I have worked as a teaching assistant for 4 years and am now in student services in a college. I don't find any job in the SOL and CSOL lists that match my position. I have a Bachelor degree in French and English from a UK Uni, an am a native French speaker. However I must state that I do NOT want to be a teacher. Any other possiblities for me to be linked that these lists?

That's it, I hope someone can help.

Thank you!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Degree or experience?

First of all you seem to be mixing up skills assessment and finding a job. For example if your husband is going to be the main applicant, then it is irrelevant whether you find something suitable on the list job wise. Also your husband "getting an interview" is irrelevant to the visa process. He needs to meet the criteria in order to pass skills assessment, not to get an interview. Most employers would not have a clue about detailed immigration rules anyway.

The skills assessment for this occupation is carried out by vetassess. The occupation is a group B occupation and unfortunately this means that a degree is essential for skills assessment. If the degree is not related to the occupation, then relevant work experience can substitute, but there does need to be a degree and I am sorry but I don't se a way around this.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your answer. I' sorry I confused you, by "interview" I meant to be nominated by a state.

Well, he will have to study then. But what worries us is, that after 3-4 years of studies and a lot of money spent, his job will be removed from the CSOL list. I just found out that Technical sales is demanded in 2 states...

Can someone please help and say if this list changes drastically over the years? Would his job be likely to still be in the list after all this time?

Thank you!
Old Jan 6th 2013, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blueberries
Thanks for your answer. I' sorry I confused you, by "interview" I meant to be nominated by a state.

Well, he will have to study then. But what worries us is, that after 3-4 years of studies and a lot of money spent, his job will be removed from the CSOL list. I just found out that Technical sales is demanded in 2 states...

Can someone please help and say if this list changes drastically over the years? Would his job be likely to still be in the list after all this time?

Thank you!
There is absolutely no guarantee that the list will stay the same. It might still be on the CSOL but the state lists are pretty fluid and could change a lot in that time. You would definitely be taking a chance.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

joojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to alljoojay is a name known to all

And if you need points for migration, then your skilled employment BEFORE your qualifying degree wont be counted
Old Jan 9th 2013, 3:01 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by blueberries

Thank you!
You mentioned that there is high demand for the job, is it on ENSOL? If it is then you may be able to find a company willing to sponsor.

My job classification was as a Sales and Marketing Manager, but I didn't have a degree to support the visa application even though I had 10+ years experience. I was lucky enough to find a sponsor and came in on a 457 visa.

It's not a guaranteed path to PR, but it could be an option if your short the degree you need, but have the experience.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is CSOL not ENSOL these days.
Old Jan 9th 2013, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone,

We have looked at the Sales and Marketing manager, but he needs to have 3 other managers under him, which is not the case. He has 3 years experience, and he decided to start a degree in business through ABE, which will take him 2 years as he already has some certificates.

We have decided to delay our applications for a year, after he gets the British nationality, and will start applying for jobs and look for sponsors after that time.

I will also train to be a uni lecturer/ researcher, and am starting my MPhil in a few months. I think we just need to improve, gain more experience and qualifications before applying for a CSOL. Just crossing fingers for his job to still be in demand in 1 or 2 years.

Thanks everyone!